New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new owner (98TA)... Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008 | 03:57 AM
Teching In

Default Possible new owner (98TA)... Questions?

I'm lookin at a 98 TA with a little over 100k, that I can get pretty cheap. Just want to make sure Im not stepping into someone's headache. I posted this in the noob section to make sure that I didnt show my ignorance in the "grown up forums"

The car is pretty much stock, save for a weld-in dynomax and a stage 3 shift kit (who makes a kit like this?).

Dash pad is all to pieces... I know they are replaceable, and not terribly priced, but how much of a PITA is it?

Sitting in the car, the fuel pump is LOUD. Is this normal?

When you make transitional turns (left to right, and vice versa), there is a pop underneath the car - any ideas what that could be?

Trans hesitated shifting - is this a sign of things to come? This thing shifts pretty hard - any reason to be worried about it causing differential issues?

Roar from RR - sounds like what could be an axle bearing - anything else to be concerned about?

Has the monsoon sound system - no lights, no display, but do hear some crackling noises - are these as hard to modify as the bose or mach systems?

In dire need of seat upholstery - is there somewhere that makes replacements?

Temp gauge is inop - how hard is the fix? Would the gauge being inop cause the coolant temp light to stay on?

-I can purchase the car for $3500, but I dont want to get it, and wind up sinking tons of money into it - it will stay pretty much stock, maybe wheels and tires. I need it DEPENABLE, not fast. This will be a car to use for trips, and everyday use.

Thanks,
-Michael
Old 10-26-2008 | 04:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think you are looking at the right car if you are wanting to use it for long trips. Sounds to me like you would be buying a money pit. If you are sure you want an lsx equipped vehicle, look for one that is in good shape. I got my 01 z-28 with 67k miles on it for 8700. It was a little bit on the high side, but it's in good shape and has been pretty well taken care of so it was worth it. Just something to think about.
Old 10-26-2008 | 04:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks, man... I really appreciate the input. I'm not hell-bent on an lsx car, but I just wondered if this deal was something I should pass up or not.

As far as long trips, I make the occassional 2-5 hour ride a few times a year, so its not as though I do it often, and a stock car cant be too bad, compared to my fox, with 800# springs, and no SFC's...
Old 10-26-2008 | 04:39 AM
Launching!

Shoot, as long as it runs decently, I'd say that's a deal. Even if you end up fixing the issues you listed, you'd still come out on top if you can do all or most of the work yourself. Tranny sounds iffy... hopefully it'll last as long as you take it easy? And if it goes, all the more reason to do a T56 swap . A few months ago I was looking at a 98 TA M6 with 120k miles that seemed to be in slightly better condition than the car you are looking at for around $6.5k and people were telling me THAT was a good deal...
Old 10-26-2008 | 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

STAY AWAY. It does not sound like a well maintained vehicle to me. I wouldn't go near it
Old 10-26-2008 | 10:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys... my biggest concern is that I dont want to do just tons of work on it. I'll probably let it pass. If it were something that I wanted as a fun car, I might look at it a little harder, but such is the way things go. Figured it was too good to be true, since my price range wasnt much more than that.

Guess I'll just continue to keep my eyes open!
Old 10-26-2008 | 01:40 PM
On The Tree

i'd pass on it too.
there are better deals out there.
Old 10-30-2008 | 01:37 AM
Launching!

YEA, IAM SEEING LS CARS ON CRAIGS, FOR UNDER 5K WITH NO ISSUE'S. THE DEALS ARE OUT THERE KEPT LOOKING. YOU WILL BE HAPPY W/A LS CAR!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008 | 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

^ I see CaPs^

Sounds like a POS. . . .

Get a f body with low miles and in good shape, it will treat you well.