New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR an EGR

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008 | 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remove all that crap. Get an ls6 intake, longtubes with no emission provisions, and have the rear o2s tuned out.
Old 11-08-2008 | 09:18 PM
On The Tree

If EGR was such a good thing to have, why did GM remove them starting in 2000 or 2001 (can't remember which exactly)? And the AIR pump only runs a few mins anyway to help heat up the cats. If you plan on doing future upgrades in exhaust, i would definately remove them. For that matter, if you plan on doing any mods at all I would remove them. Your engine compartment will look better, be easier to work on, and your car will be lighter. All positives if you ask me.
Old 11-09-2008 | 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Firebirdfan it all depends on where you get your car inspected. Yeah in some states all they look for is a cat and a stock appearing muffler but I have seen others actually look at your readiness code, and for proper operation of ALL of the emissions control devices. It all depends.
Like I said unless you are trying to be a drag race champion and look for those few tenths, then you can drop them. And if you are that worried about lifting the nose put in a chrome molly K member, upper and lower control arms and a manual rack.

wht01ws6ta I drive an 03 RSX type s during the week for fuel economy and it has EGR. You drive your car every day and race on average how many times a week? There is a big difference between your DD and your race car. I can gaurantee that your drag car will not see nearly as much time as your DD.

samson_420 Like I said unless you are trying to win a Best in show or if it pisses you off that much to look at it. Or move the hose through the fender like the wire mod.

ghardester and spm4520 the only one I would remove if I didn't have to worry about inspection would be the EGR simply because all it does is cool the cylinders down under cruze and low load and I will agree with what you said. GM didn't think it was important enough to keep it in 01 02.

Like I said AIR does more than warm up the cats faster, it keeps them alive longer by leaning out the cold rich mixture. Unless they are not there, then you can flood the air with NOX, HC and CO.

You don't have to listen to me or do what I would do. It all depends on the person and what you plan to do with the car. If I offended any one I apologize but don't call my information bull sh*t if it is backed up by facts.

I'm not here to argue or to save the world just tell the man what the systems do and let him make the decision for himself. Thats all he asked for.
Old 11-09-2008 | 06:56 PM
Banned

id keep the igr and air. trust me
Old 11-09-2008 | 08:59 PM
Teching In

to the top
Old 11-09-2008 | 08:59 PM
Teching In

to ther top
Old 11-09-2008 | 09:00 PM
Teching In

to the top!!!
Old 11-09-2008 | 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

ghardester and spm4520 the only one I would remove if I didn't have to worry about inspection would be the EGR simply because all it does is cool the cylinders down under cruze and low load and I will agree with what you said. GM didn't think it was important enough to keep it in 01 02.
The original poster asked about deleting the AIR and EGR. And if it would cause a problem. I assumed that he was modding the exhaust, in that case you would want to get rid of both. My '02 does not have EGR and I still have the AIR and stock exhaust. The '02 exhuast is fine enough for me until I add headers later. Garage is being built.

Thanks for your post and civil tone.
Old 11-09-2008 | 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Oh, and I don't have to put up with any sort of pollution inspections here, yet. I am sympathetic with those that do.
Old 11-10-2008 | 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont have to worry about emissions simply get rid of both. When I get a LS6 intake, my EGR will be gone, and after I get LT's for Christmas the AIR pump will be gone as well. both of them serve no purpose to me besides clutter the engine bay, and add weight in all the wrong places.