Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR an EGR

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR an EGR

What does the AIR do for emissions with the car is it safe to delete it?

What does the egr valve do?

and if i deleted these things would i get worse gas mileage?

Just tryin to learn a little i dont know to much.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

The egr lets exhaust back in to the intake and reuses it. I deleted both long as you get them tuned out then you will be ok if not you will get a ses light
Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000nbmZ
The egr lets exhaust back in to the intake and reuses it. I deleted both long as you get them tuned out then you will be ok if not you will get a ses light
did you see a decrease in fuel efficiency at all?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I got rid of EGR and the secondary air pump last week; I have not yet noticed decreased fuel economy.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't know what year that bird is in your sig but you must remember 01-02 LS1's don't have EGR!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Do you have to block them off after removing them from the pcm???
Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^YES! After you remove them, you block them off, then you tune them out. If you tune them out and leave them in and don't block them off, well thats common sense on what that will help. Thats about as useful as a poopy flavored lolli pop.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
^YES! After you remove them, you block them off, then you tune them out. If you tune them out and leave them in and don't block them off, well thats common sense on what that will help. Thats about as useful as a poopy flavored lolli pop.
haha yea that funny. but do you know what AIR is
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^If i am not mistaken the AIR Pump, which sits behind your drivers side headlight, pumps little bursts of cold air into your exhaust gases for what is supposed to be an increase in 1-2mpg and decreased EGT's. Someone please correct me if this is horribly wrong, im not completely certain. But i know by removing it your engine bay looks alot better. Hope this somewhat has helped ya.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

You dont need to tune them out. I never did and never got a check engine light.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

I didn't tune them out right a way, but while getting my tune I had them removed. I ran the car for several months prior to the tune with no issues and no mileage decrease. I bought the block off set from Speed Inc. who is a sponsor and had no issues with it since. The removal only took about 15-20 minutes and then about 10 minutes to install the plugs (used TRV for a gasket on the headers).
Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

DO NOT DELETE THE AIR OR EGR!!! They DO NOT hurt performance at all. The air pump is an electric motor that only runs when the engine is cold. Here is why.

When the engine is cold the fuel doesn't like to atomize into the intake air charge well so mixture efficiency drops so the ECM will fatten it up to help cold atomization and combustion in the combustion chamber. However in the rich condition it helps fire off the mixture but the engine can't burn all of the fuel from the rich condition. Instead of dumping raw fuel into your exhaust and in the and destroying your cat air is injected in the exhaust manifold to reduce the fuel/hydrocarbon emissions saving the cat. The air pump also helps to heat up the cats faster. Back in the 80's when the pump was run of the belt you might loose a little bit of power but unless you where racing pro stock or looking for a tenth in the quarter it was still stupid to take it off. Now it is electric so there is no point to take it off, unless you just don't want to pass emissions.

EGR helps reduce cylinder head temps AT CRUZING speed only under low load. It allows exhaust gas to enter the combustion chamber. The reduces the temp by not allowing in the A/F mixture in so it can't ignite and the mixture burns cooler because there is not as much to burn. It does absolutely nothing under load.

BOTH OF THESE DEVICES HAVE NO NEGATIVE EFFECT ON HORSE POWER OUT PUT AND IT WOULD BE FOOLISH AND IGNORANT TO REMOVE THEM UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING TO MAKE A RACE ONLY VEHICLE. I don't know about you but I can give up 2 horse power to keep our planet from going down the crapper faster than it is. Plus if your state does emissions inspections you will fail with flying colors.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FireChickenws6
DO NOT DELETE THE AIR OR EGR!!! They DO NOT hurt performance at all. The air pump is an electric motor that only runs when the engine is cold. Here is why.

When the engine is cold the fuel doesn't like to atomize into the intake air charge well so mixture efficiency drops so the ECM will fatten it up to help cold atomization and combustion in the combustion chamber. However in the rich condition it helps fire off the mixture but the engine can't burn all of the fuel from the rich condition. Instead of dumping raw fuel into your exhaust and in the and destroying your cat air is injected in the exhaust manifold to reduce the fuel/hydrocarbon emissions saving the cat. The air pump also helps to heat up the cats faster. Back in the 80's when the pump was run of the belt you might loose a little bit of power but unless you where racing pro stock or looking for a tenth in the quarter it was still stupid to take it off. Now it is electric so there is no point to take it off, unless you just don't want to pass emissions.

EGR helps reduce cylinder head temps AT CRUZING speed only under low load. It allows exhaust gas to enter the combustion chamber. The reduces the temp by not allowing in the A/F mixture in so it can't ignite and the mixture burns cooler because there is not as much to burn. It does absolutely nothing under load.

BOTH OF THESE DEVICES HAVE NO NEGATIVE EFFECT ON HORSE POWER OUT PUT AND IT WOULD BE FOOLISH AND IGNORANT TO REMOVE THEM UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING TO MAKE A RACE ONLY VEHICLE. I don't know about you but I can give up 2 horse power to keep our planet from going down the crapper faster than it is. Plus if your state does emissions inspections you will fail with flying colors.
good write up exactly the type of answer i wanted
Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I believe i've heard of many, many people on this forum that have passed emissions without AIR or EGR. As long as you have the cats on the car, and you get tested with the engine warmed up (and the EGR/AIR completely tuned out) you should have no problem with passing.

As for the usefulness of removing them. Well, the first thing I know of is going to be weight savings from the removed components. I can't remember what they were worth in weight, but i think it was upwards of 50lbs for the AIR system and EGR. That's somewhat significant in pulling weight of the nose of the car.

Also, by removing the EGR, you remove a restriction in the intake manifold (for pre 01-02 cars). The EGR nozzle sticks down into the intake main plenum, disturbing airflow. Also, you're intake, intake-side head runners, inake valves, and spark plugs are going to be whole lot cleaner (and stay that way) by NOT running some dirty exhaust gas through them constantly.

Personally, i really don't think that it's that big of a deal to remove the two systems. Yeah, the AIR system helps on cold startups, but what does it really matter that much? The cats will be warm in under 2 minutes anyway and you can lose a bit of weight off the front of the car along with cleaning up the engine bay a bit in the process.

Win-win as far as I can tell.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

So everyone that has deleted them should realize their mistake and reinstall them, right? If you're that worried about the planet going down the crapper then you should sell your V8 and buy a honda and/or a bicycle. Oh, and no racing of any kind at any track either because that is just wasting gas and putting pointless emmissions into the air.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

My main reasons to remove the AIR and EGR pieces of **** is for the fact that they take up room under the hood and look like ***.

Also the AIR makes that stupid "whooosh". . . GM useless crap.

I am just waiting untill I remove my cats and swap in LS6 style intake.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn so many opinions idk what to do if it does nothing i would just delete it to get more room under the hood but idk
Old 11-08-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Remove it and keep it so you can reinstall it later if you ever decide to sell the car.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samson_420
Remove it and keep it so you can reinstall it later if you ever decide to sell the car.
+1 Keep it around just in case.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm just going to have to call bullsh*t on most of this. Neither AIR or EGR help your engine or are 'good' for the car. AIR only works for a short time after you start the car. It helps to speed up the heating of the CATS so they get up to efficiency sooner. EGR or Exhaust Gas Recirculation just re-routes part of your exhaust so it gets burned twice. Both are government mandated pollution controls. Neither 'helps' your car. Extra maintenance add ons that can cause problems.