Sponsored by:

Cant get out of the driveway!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get out of the driveway!!!

My car has the security issue.

Usually it would crank 1 out of 3 times. Yesterday and today I havent even been able to get it out of the driveway.

I made it to the chevy place afterwork one day and had my key checked. They said the key was fine...went ahead and had another one made. Well It is still doing it.

What would be the quickest easist fix. I really dont wanna tow it to the dealership and have to pay like crazy to have it fixed. Is there any write up with directions on how to fix this. I know you can measure the resisters or something like that.

But I know my problem is in the column. I can buy a new cylinder from autozone for about 60 bucks. But they chevy place also told me there was just a wire broke in the colunm...(btw the car was 30 miles away) they didnt even look at it. I told him i thought the resiters in the cylinder were wore out but he disagreed.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Woult it be easier to measure the resistors and do it that way.
Or
Just buy a new cylinder?

thanks, kevin.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to here that here are some topics in the Stereo and Electronics section if not repost there they can probably help the best! Goodluck!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/303776-frequently-asked-questions.html
Old 11-07-2008, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

The immobilizer is just a reader coil that reads the chip in the key. If the reader coil is bad then I would get it from the dealer. I personally hate Auto zone and Advance when it comes to electronics. I have been screwed many times and will never buy anything from there again except go-jo. You really need to get your hands on a wiring diagram and see if you have power and ground to the reader. If you do have power and ground go buy a coil from the dealer and drive from off into the sunset.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have never really had a problem from the autozine around here..but the orielys yeah it's pretty bad...I just think it might be easier just to buy a new cylinder and go have a the key made with the resister..i can get the cylinder for like 30 bucks a key..is 35 from the dealership...65 dollar guaranteed fix. Better than what the dealer told me. which was around 350 bucks to fix.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

If thats what the problem is. I just don't want you to spend money you don't have to. Realistically it's almost impossible to tell you with out the car in front of me but good luck.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

does anyone know of a write up or where to get directions on how to change out the cylinder?