Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam question

i was thinking of getting a ls6 Z06 cam (available from summit racing) and springs, and harland sharp 1.8 rr. would this be a good set up. i dont fully understand cam specs and such so im looking to find out how aggressive this set up would be and if it will bring a noticable power gain. and if anyone could suggest something better, im all ears.

mods: slp flow pac, slp catback, stock ls1 manifold (for now, LS6 is in the works) ported TB, TB bypass, de screened MAF

TIA!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

a ls6 cam will yield some gains in power but you would see more power out of other cams for the same price. a ls6 cam would be very similar to stock in drivability however and if thats what your looking for go for it. i think you should wonder over to the internal engine section and start reading about cams to get an idea of what you really want. i would suggest a nice 224 cam to keep drivability and gain a reasonable amount of power. someone else should chime in with a little more knowledge then i posses though.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

give the guys down at texas speed and performance a call they are great people to deal with. they can answer all of your questions and they will be able to set you up with the right cam. texas-speed.com
Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock rockers will be fine with that setup. ive heard the aftermarket rockers are a bitch to set up too. only a good mod if youre trying to get every last possible horsepower out of a bolt on motor
Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

don't bother with the rockers.

you can buy a better cam with the added lift already ground in.

something with near stock driveability and sound (like the ls6 would give) would be the cheaTR cam or some of the stealth cams (mti i think).

with your mods, and the ls6 cam...i would expect about 360rwhp give or take.

with a cam such as the 224 you could make 380rwhp no problem...and not have to spend $400 on rockers.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

ok, dumb question time. arent there more than one kind of 224 cam? how do i know which one is right for me?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a question. I am new to the LS1's after years of Mustang ownership. Does it matter if your car is a A4 or M6 when you look at cams...as far as being streetable. With the Mustang AOD's you could not go too big without putting a higher stall in the car.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CNTLOSE
Here is a question. I am new to the LS1's after years of Mustang ownership. Does it matter if your car is a A4 or M6 when you look at cams...as far as being streetable. With the Mustang AOD's you could not go too big without putting a higher stall in the car.
if you have an A4, you have to put a larger stall in. A stall should be your first mod regardless of weather you put a cam in there or not.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

the same principles apply to the ls1 as the mustangs you are use to.

yes a cam will benefit from a higher stall.....HOWEVER...a stock engine/cam will benefit from a higher stall as well.

if you keep the cam mild, you can still run the stock stall. the car may not be optimized but it will still run well.

the cams suggested should all work with stock stall, however you WOULD benefit from a new one.

stock cams were in the 19x/20x range....even stepping up to a 224 is still considered mild, moderate is in the low 23x range, and big is upper 23x's or even 24x's.

yes there are several 224 cams, but they are pretty similar. generally they produce similar power. theoretically the one with the higher lift should produce the best numbers. i'd look into thunder racing or TSP.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The TR 224 on a 114 is a proven performer with great street manners if you are looking for a fairly "baby" cam that still performs.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html

It helps to read over that a couple of times, seriously.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

cool cool, great info, speaking of stalls, a 3600 would be a good choice, correct?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

not knowing anything else about the setup, yeah that's a fairly common sized converter.

should help the car get up and go thats for sure
Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OP needs long tubes first if he is gonna run any decent sized cam.

IMO just switching to a LS6 cam isn't worth the trouble. Plus you see them in here for cheap all the time so if I was gonna get one it wouldn't be from Summit.

I would definitely do stall too before the cam. A stall will make even a stock car faster
Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

As mentioned above, the 224 cams are a great mild cam choice, but there are many others as well. Typically a cam is going to give the biggest bang for the buck, but it requires a lot of supporting hardware in order for it to perform properly. Headers and converter (if it's an auto) are definite supporting mods for a cam. It was also mentioned that the stock rockers would work fine for a cam install. I totally agree with this as well. If you're going to throw down a chunk of change for a complete cam install, then you might as well get something a larger than a Z06 cam.

We ran a cam special a few months back that included the cam, springs, pushrods, gaskets, timing chain, install and dyno tune for $1700, and around $2100 with dual springs, oil pump, and dual roller timing chain.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

I like the idea of putting in a 224 cam before the stall. I only go to the track once or twice a year, so 1/10th's do not matter...too much. Plus the PD I bought the car from had a new GM Transmisson put in last year and it has a 2 years left on the warranty. Im sure if I put a stall in it the warrany will be void. The engine however is up for grabs. I was looking at the cam, pushrod and spring kit from Texas Speed for $699. If this a decent price it will take forever to build the engine the way I want.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

no joke, things like this are exspensive
Old 11-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CNTLOSE
I like the idea of putting in a 224 cam before the stall. I only go to the track once or twice a year, so 1/10th's do not matter...too much. Plus the PD I bought the car from had a new GM Transmisson put in last year and it has a 2 years left on the warranty. Im sure if I put a stall in it the warrany will be void. The engine however is up for grabs. I was looking at the cam, pushrod and spring kit from Texas Speed for $699. If this a decent price it will take forever to build the engine the way I want.
What were your times at the track?? 1/4 mile i am guessing. My stock 02 B4c did 8.72 @83mph that was at hsv dragway 1/8th mile. I was just wondering about yours,thx
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

I unfortunately bought the car the Friday after my local track closed. My Stang is the one I had been taking to the track once or twice a year. That car is a mid 13's AOD car and this car feels much quicker so I am guessing maybe low 13's if it will hook. However, it still has the Goodyear RS-A cop tires on it so traction is only a dream right now.