Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats faster 6 speed of auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: whats faster 6 speed of auto

Ok I just read your other post so here we go.

1). I have absolutely no idea how the skip shift eliminator will affect ET's. I don't have a manual so I guess you got me on that one.

2). Never say never. Automatics with big stalls and good gears are capable of reeling in an M6 if one of two things happen. One is the A4 outmods the M6 with less weight, taller gears and a big TC and the other is human error. I never said it was likely, I only said it was possible. Never say never.

3). 1.5 60' times are not the best on record, that was just an example. Most M6 guys are not pulling that 60' time or even close to it without a lot of mods like you have. But lid and catback M6's even with good tires can not hit 1.5's as easily as a auto can with the right stall. Now in the top 20 et's I mentioned (also is a fact thank you) they show documented auto's with 1.2's for 60' times. That to me seems insane but again these are the cream of the crop but you can not argue thier success (although I think you will try).

4). I'm sick of manual guys taking shots at automatics as a lesser car so I can keep arguing as long as you want or until a moderator locks this thread.

I respect your car and your choice of transmissions but I will never, EVER back down or bow to a M6. I don't know the meaning of the word quit (according to my wife I don't know the meaning to a lot of words but that is a differnt story altogether).

I never said every auto will beat every manual at the track. If driver error is not involved then a stock M6 can beat a stock A4 at the track as well. But a nicely stalled A4 vs a similair HP M6 should win almost every time as long as the launch goes well because I agree with you 100% when you said the autos get the advantage at the first 1/8 of a mile and the M6's reel them in from that point on. But with HP and weight being equal then the M6 runs out of track before he can catch and pass the stalled A4.

I have heard that. I have seen that. And soon I hope to get my TC installed so I can live that

Old 09-29-2003, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

all i see is bla bla bla bla m6 bla bla bla bla a4.
Who cares who or what is faster? As long as your happy with what you got then that's all that matters.

Old 09-29-2003, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

all i see is bla bla bla bla m6 bla bla bla bla a4.
Who cares who or what is faster? As long as your happy with what you got then that's all that matters.

I agree. I see a lot of "should" and a lot of "if" comments. WHO CARES?! IMHO of the game, it isn't even who has the best ET. It's who's nose crosses the line first. That really tosses a wrench into everyone's arguement. Add in the driver's and car's R/T. My best time was on a .548 light and my best light is a .534. That's how I beat a car that was consistently runnin 3 tenths faster than me.

My thought:
Old 09-29-2003, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really sounds like we are both on the same page, just have a different perspective. Even as much as I like my M6, I would never say that it is better at the track than an auto. Its just not true. My point is that the M6 is not worse (cannot be as fast) than the auto. You are saying that the M6 is not better than the auto. I agree completely. I guess I notice it more often when the argument is made that the manual cannot be as fast as the auto and it sticks out more to you when someone says the M6 is faster than the auto

I would never ask you to believe the M6 is better at the track than an auto, because it is not true. I will admit that it is damned hard to keep up with the stalled a4's.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wanted a drag car, it would be an auto. I take my M6 to the track to primarily work on my launches and shifts. I own an M6 because I like to do more then drive in a straight line, and I do NOT mean that as any sort of dig to drag racing. I love drag racing. I also love carving up the corners, and I never liked carving corners with an auto.

Autos are better for drag racing. Take any M6 car, slap a drag prepped auto drivetrain into it (able to handle whatever power it is currently making) and it will be faster in the 1/4. That doesn't mean an M6 can't be successful at the strip though.

Overall, there is no blanket better transmission. They each have their pros and cons. Decide what your priorities are, buy what you want and learn to go as fast as you can with what you bought.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:25 AM
7 Second Club

Auto for a primarily 1/4 mile car
6sp for a fun street car
I have one of each and enjoy their benefits for different situations.Very few people can drive a stick car good enough to be competitive with a auto at the strip.My experience with a 565 rwhp 6sp car is when driven hard at the track you break way more **** than a auto car.We all have our personal preference but don't lie to yourself about a 6sp being quicker in the 1/4 on a regular basis.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are still arguing this? LOL! C'mon please! This ain't even worthy of an argument. Let's look at some REAL facts. I'll toss 'em out there and then ya'll can dance around them until you're heart's content...

What's the quickest 346ci M6 car on the list? 10.59 That's pretty damn quick, yes. But let's look at it's mods. It has a 240/236 SOLID ROLLER cam and 4.56 gears. This is a SERIOUS 346ci effort to say the least.

Now, let's take a look at the quickest NA 346 A4. 10.66 Less than a tenth slower than the M6 car...but let's take a look at this car's mods. It had 3.42 gears and a little 230/227 HYDRAULIC cam.

So we have 4.56 gears compared to 3.42s and a 240/236 solid roller cam compared to a 230/227 hydraulic cam...and the difference is only .07 of a second. What happens when the A4 car gets that big solid lift race cam and some serious gears? That's right, it's not even a close race.

Ok, item #2...

How many M6 cars are in the 9s NA?
None. All of those guys (myself included) are running A3s and one is running a Jerico. I did it with a hydraulic cam, btw.

How many M6 cars are in the 8s on juice?
None. Those guys are running A3s and A2s.

What is THE quickest LS1 in the nation running?
8.5s with an A2.

How many M6s are there in the top 10 on the NA list? One...he's number 8 and he's over a FULL SECOND SLOWER than the quickest auto!

Looking at the quickest NA bolt-on cars...

There are 11 out of the top 50 that are M6s. The top 7 are A4s.
The quickest A4 is 11.27. The quickest M6 is 11.55. Almost 3 tenths slower!

I can keep on with these kind of stats all night...but is there really any need?

I like M6s too (like I said, I have a couple), but when it comes to making quick (not to mention consistent) ETs, there is really no contest, autos are far and away the better choice at the dragstrip.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

**** it, get a Lenco.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL! I agree.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

While everything in your post is true Colonel, I still don't think an auto will always be faster than an M6. The reason all the fastest cars are automatics is due to consistency and ease of operation. Like it's been mentioned it takes skill to drive a 6-speed to it's maximum potential. I honestly think, in the stock internal class, an M6 could easliy surpass the quickest time of high stall auto's mod for mod.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I disagree simply because everything I've seen and experienced over the years with these cars tells me elsewise. When I start seeing the M6 cars go quicker with equal mods, I'll start believing it. I've been into these particular cars for over 4 years now and I've yet to see this be the case. Maybe next year? Nah, I doubt it. The M6s have a few tenths to make up and that's an eternity in drag racing. Besides, the autos are still getting quicker too.

As far as the 10-12 second cars that most of us are running...With the same raceweight, same power, same rearend gearing, same traction, same track, same weather, and equal drivers, the A4 wins each and everytime if it has the right stall converter no matter how good the driver of the M6 is. I assure you, I can shift 'em with the best of them. Being a great driver only helps the car but so much.

The reason all the quickest cars are automatics is due to the laws of physics. They have the advantage of better overall gearing, TQ multiplication (a clutch has NONE), they get the engine into the best part of the power and they keep it there better. Even if we put a perfect driver in the M6 car and give it perfect traction, it simply can't overcome these significant disadvantages on an even playing feild. The only advantage you might say an M6 has is an efficiency advantage. With todays super-efficient converter and with the ability to LOCK the converter, this advantage is very small to say the least.

So, we can agree to disagree for now. And I'll be waiting to see the M6s catch up...but I won't be holding my breath!
Old 10-01-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Why is there a major stereotype of being a "wussy" if you drive an automatic instead of a manual transmission. I have always wondered??
Old 10-01-2003, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think M6 owners need to feel like they are cooler to drive to make up for the knowledge that they're slower.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

I think M6 owners need to feel like they are cooler to drive to make up for the knowledge that they're slower.
I still love my M6 though.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

I still love my M6 though.
I don't think most M6 guys think auto owners are wusses or that they need to feel cooler. Most educated M6 owners know that the stalled autos own the drag strip. I think people like us that buy M6's do so because we prefer them. It's that simple. For me, I don't make it to the dragstrip too much (hopefully that'll change next season) and I usually end up racing from a roll which gives me the advantage. Plus I just think the manuals are more fun to drive. Neither one is superior, just more useful for different things. I think this whole thread is more of a pissing match than anything else and every time I read a new post I feel like I'm getting caught in the crossfire (by the **** that is ).
Old 10-02-2003, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think most M6 guys think auto owners are wusses or that they need to feel cooler. Most educated M6 owners know that the stalled autos own the drag strip. I think people like us that buy M6's do so because we prefer them. It's that simple. For me, I don't make it to the dragstrip too much (hopefully that'll change next season) and I usually end up racing from a roll which gives me the advantage. Plus I just think the manuals are more fun to drive. Neither one is superior, just more useful for different things. I think this whole thread is more of a pissing match than anything else and every time I read a new post I feel like I'm getting caught in the crossfire (by the **** that is ).
Agreed. Where I start to see that stereotype come in is when people try to use it as a tool to feel superior to someone else under the assumption that if you drive an automatic, you don't know how to drive a manual. And for some reason this makes you inferior. I drive an M6, but only cuz I like shifting gears, not cuz I think it's any faster or any better. My previous post in this thread might not sound that way, but I was tired and was having a hard time figuring out how to get my point across... damnit! It's true! I swear!
Old 10-02-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like 'em both (and have 'em both.) No pissing match here...but I do like to see truth win out.

M6s are major fun to drive (especially in the twisties up in the mountains for me at least) and they kick *** from a roll...that much is for sure.

So, be happy with what you got and if you just can't be happy with it or feel that it doesn't meet your needs so well, sell it and buy what you really want/need. No big deal.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

any 16 year old kid can get in an a4 point the car strait and hit the gas....
m-6's are for drivers...

that being said i hate getting beat at the track by 16 year old kids with a4's
but i love taking there money on a streat race on the way home

as you can tell i hope this is just a ribbing... any of us who hang out at the track and race alot know from a dig the m6 is playing catchup
from a roll the a4 is praying for the next light to turn red
Old 10-02-2003, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

This post is just the motivation I need to go after the stock internal record for both A4 and M6.
Now if I only had the money to get a stage III clutch, 12-bolt, k-member, susp, and slicks
Old 10-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

any 16 year old kid can get in an a4 point the car strait and hit the gas....
m-6's are for drivers...

that being said i hate getting beat at the track by 16 year old kids with a4's
but i love taking there money on a streat race on the way home

as you can tell i hope this is just a ribbing... any of us who hang out at the track and race alot know from a dig the m6 is playing catchup
from a roll the a4 is praying for the next light to turn red
Hehe nice post but you forgot one thing. While the A4 is praying for the next light to turn red the M6 is praying there is no cop up ahead because they like to go after the first one they see. And that is no ticket and your on your way either, your going to jail if he does not let you off easy. Then you can brag to the other guys in the detention cell about how awesome your M6 is at street racing from a roll.

I'm just ribbing on you bro. But I seriously discourage anyone from street racing. It's just too dangerous because going to jail and getting your license suspended is not the worst thing that could happen. I'll keep my racing other cars at the track.

A4's all the way for the track but someday I'd like to get myself an M6 to have fun with around town but within certain limits.

Quick Reply: whats faster 6 speed of auto