Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to start?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to start?!

Well im trying to decide on where to start with modds, i have a BL98 Z28. So far all i have done is steel braided brake lines, K&N filter. And a Steel drive shaft from previous owner. Any suggestions on what modds are good and some what inexpensive to begin with. Im buying new brakes all around and buying NGK plugs and wires this week
Old 11-27-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Intake and exhaust. Best initial mods for power and $$$ to start with.
I got a clear MTI lid to replace my blackwing (for looks not performance) and my car already had the SLP exhaust. May I reccomend a MTI lid and a borla exhaust? If you have the money go true duals.

JUST MY 2 PENNIES!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stall if A4 is by far biggest bang for $$. Just don't cheap out on it or you will regret it. Search it.

Headers will get you more than intake. Do it first.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Launching!

intake, exhaust, rearend gears, underdrive pulley
Old 11-28-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell us what you have to spend and that will help.

I am sure 99.9% who have actually modded their cars will tell you stall and headers will make the the biggest SOTP diff for first mods. Don't forget a lid either as a first mod.

IM's are overated in my book and are really only necesarry after full exhaust and to support a cam. LS6 IM is only about about 7-10 and FAST (in sig) maybe 15 despite all the hype.

If you are M6 gears are great like BL 744 says and are at the top of the list (4.10 or 4.11). If A4 I would stall first but 3.73's are still a kick in the pants
Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

like everyone else will tell you start with headers and full exhaust that will help alot over stock and a lid too. How much money do you have to start with?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Teching In

i dont know im not goin over board yet, getting married and lookin for a house, soo the modds will come one at at time. i bought 4 slotted rotors last night with pads, as well as K&N oil filter and clear corners....ended up being 400 i think. Sooo i dont mind savin up. I want a stall, Lid, exhaust and headers for sure....
Old 11-28-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I started modding I focused on one thing and that was getting more air in with lid, SSRA, P&P TB, etc. Then went with getting it out with headers, ory, and a cutout. Hope this helps and good luck
Old 11-28-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what you really should do is sit down with a paper and pencil, and honestly figure out what you want your car to do at the end of all the modding. if your going to be drag racing alot then decide if your going to go NA or FI. usually only a few parts will work with both so if you decide to later on switch over your going to end up rebuying parts. if your going to go with AutoX then it really wouldnt make sence to buy a 4000 stall.... see where i'm getting at? make a gameplan of what you want from the car and go from there. dont go blindly modding....you'll end up spending twice the money.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by reject
what you really should do is sit down with a paper and pencil, and honestly figure out what you want your car to do at the end of all the modding. if your going to be drag racing alot then decide if your going to go NA or FI. usually only a few parts will work with both so if you decide to later on switch over your going to end up rebuying parts. if your going to go with AutoX then it really wouldnt make sence to buy a 4000 stall.... see where i'm getting at? make a gameplan of what you want from the car and go from there. dont go blindly modding....you'll end up spending twice the money.
good advice, thats what i just did thanks for the info guys
Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reject
Good post^^. Regardless of what you want, a 12 bolt is always helpful . Expensive but worth it.