Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction issues

What can i do other than radials to keep my *** end from breaking loose. Is there something i can do to get the power to the ground without constantly breaking traction. I have this problem when i shift hard all the way up to 4th gear.

as of right now my car just has full exhaust with dual cherry bombs, headers, and a cam, if that helps any
Old 12-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SweetSolace
What can i do other than radials to keep my *** end from breaking loose. Is there something i can do to get the power to the ground without constantly breaking traction. I have this problem when i shift hard all the way up to 4th gear.

as of right now my car just has full exhaust with dual cherry bombs, headers, and a cam, if that helps any

Lower control arms will help you launch better and stop wheel hop. You could also do a panhard bar and torque arm to help put the power on the ground. Check out www.spohn.net they have alot of good suspension parts

Last edited by AlexVette505; 12-10-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What he said ^^^ Also what do you have against drag radials. I have UMI lower control arms and panhard rod with nitto 555r's (315's) wide and I dont have much traction problems with 540rwhp.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by conan
What he said ^^^ Also what do you have against drag radials. I have UMI lower control arms and panhard rod with nitto 555r's (315's) wide and I dont have much traction problems with 540rwhp.
yeah i agree..tires should be first on your list. Some people dont like the nitto's. You cant go wrong with M/T drag radials..for the street i hear good things about the bf goodrich kdw2's
Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AlexVette505
yeah i agree..tires should be first on your list. Some people dont like the nitto's. You cant go wrong with M/T drag radials..for the street i hear good things about the bf goodrich kdw2's
tires are always a plus with the LCA'S...the KDW2's are a good dry traction tire but i have heard people complaining about road noise, but with a loud enough exhaust you probably wont hear a thing lol

im in the same boat as sweetsolace
Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NawlinsDrivr
tires are always a plus with the LCA'S...the KDW2's are a good dry traction tire but i have heard people complaining about road noise, but with a loud enough exhaust you probably wont hear a thing lol

im in the same boat as sweetsolace
A buddy of mine had KDW'2 on his 00 SS and he said that even in the rain the tires were "awesome" lol
Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

i dont have anything against them. Im just not familiar with them. do they make a drag radial that will fit a 18inch wheel>?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

who sells bilstien shocks?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

suspension wise what i was planning on doing was sub frame connectors rear control arms torque arm panhard bar and some kind of package deal for shocks/springs
Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

if you're losing traction in 3rd and 4th gear...it sounds to me like your tires are the culprit not the suspension.

on my old bolt on LT1 i had the crappiest tires in the world...but i had several of the suggested suspension mods also....i could chirp 4th on occasion.

swapped out to some GOOD tires (still 245s) and never heard a chirp beyond 2nd gear after that.

sounds like you need tires more than suspension.

i have 17x11 rims on my cammed car now. and they cam with worn nitto DRs. i recently upgraded to the Nitto 555r street tires and traction is almost the same. they are truely awesome tires. and cheaper than many of the high end competition.

if you plan to lower the car, make sure to get the relocation brackets.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

my personal experience in my 3rd gen (in sig) was on the street tires, LCA/LCARB/panhard actually made it spin worse. With ET Streets on, it still spun worse on the street, but would 60ft better at the track.

Added a torque arm, and adjustable QA1 shocks on the rear, and now it will leave on just about any tire I toss under it street or strip. On motor, i can do 1.8x 60s on my 215/60/15s, yes 215's! (best pass was 12.0 @ 117 on the street tires)

My advise, get some good rubber if you can afford it, and afford replacing it as you wear them out.

If not, get the torque arm/shocks/LCAs/LCARBs in that order, unless you have wheel hop, then get it all.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dont have anything against them. Im just not familiar with them. do they make a drag radial that will fit a 18inch wheel>?
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Competition
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...FA+Drag+Radial
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

i love you conan, if you where a woman i'd marry you <3
Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

so i could spend around $600 for the tires in the back, get what i want in the front. Then go suspension? Im wanting to solve future problems before i run into them. Figure after i finish my interior i'll go wheel/tire, then suspension parts. Will these drag radials fit on a car thats dropped about 2" ? Another problem i have is if i hit any kind of dip at a decent speed i can hear metal on metal in the back. Im not smart suspension/engine wise so when i looked under the car nothing caught my eye. I havent had a chance to take it to a shop though.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

sounds to me like your exhaust is scraping.

either that or the wheels are hitting the inside of the fender.

run your finger around the inside of the wheel...if they hit the fender....clearance it.

lowered 2" is gonna make traction hard to get. lowering a car is one of the worst things you can do for straight line traction.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

car was already lowered. I'm looking to replace it with bilstien shocks and eibach springs. Tires look great, and i can't see where it would be rubbing anything. Im wondering if its something to do with the chassis or something
Old 12-10-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

there are better choices than the eibachs....

strano springs are VERY popular
Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

i love you conan, if you where a woman i'd marry you <3
and you can run what ever tire up front. This is what I have only in a 17". You'll probly see that you will change the rear out 2 times before you need new fronts. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance Ask about the size for some reason I cant find the size I have but my fronts are now a 275's wide over the stock 245's and with the 315's in the back it goes around turns like its on rails.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

can the wheels just be slapped on, or would i need some form of adapter.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Junkie

can what wheels?

whether a wheel will fit or not depends on the specs of that rim. width, backspace, offset...etc.

given the right rim setup, a 315 WILL fit under the rear end, but if you're lowered you may have more clearance issues.