Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Lowering Springs...NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Lowering Springs...NEED HELP

I just recently bought a set of lowering springs and am looking to install them myself. just wondering what all tools and materials i will need to do this. I am also replacing the rear shocks only. is there anything special that will be involved in replacing those or what. advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://ls1howto.com/

for the front and rear, under "F-Body how to"

The first time make take a little while. I thought I was going to swap the spring/shocks in one night, and it took me a weekend. Just take your time and don't get frustrated. Go rent a spring compressor from Advanced Auto or another parts store.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

I just replaced my springs on my t/a and patience is the most important part. Get a spring compressor. and a extra set of hands will make it easier for sure.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by kbras12
I just replaced my springs on my t/a and patience is the most important part. Get a spring compressor. and a extra set of hands will make it easier for sure.
^^^exactly...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took my front springs to Firestone and got them to compress the springs for me, lol. I was afraid of those bitches breaking an Autozone spring compressor. I've never heard of it actually happening, but I've heard warnings of the possibility of it happening, lol.

The back ones are pretty easy, fwiw.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also would suggest you get some extra hands, especially while you're "pursuading" the spindle arm to drop with a hammer. If you're not quick the arm might drop too fast and stretch or stress your brake line.

Tools are simple- 13mm and 15mm sockets and wrences as well as a torx50 for the top driver side.

The ls1howto article is very helpfull, I printed it off the first time I did it. Took me 1 1/2 days, which necessitated numerous trips to auto zone because of my lack of preparation.

One thing they don't point out to you is the possibility of the top nut of shock mount may be rusted. I've been able to break some free using a high torquing impact and with some we've had to cut the shock off. Its this reason I would recommend doing the fronts first to assess that possibility.

Other things you'll need for future reference are LCA relocation brackets and an adjustable PHB. I would suggest to you to also swap the front shocks as well not just the rears, so you won't have to go through the same procedure down the line. Do it once....do it right. A common tech saying!

Last edited by '02 WS6; 01-13-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I did mine at the Shop on Base, they had a Spring Compressor on a Stand, it took me a few hours. Not too bad to do really.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word of precaution... make sure when you use the spring compressor the spring is secure... if not... they can pop off and hit you... and that's one trip to the hospital you do not want... one of the springs/shocks popped off the compressor when lowering mine and it almost hit me and my buddy in the face.... luckily by CHANCE seconds before that we stepped back a few feet