New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas or mods to help my setup. I'm all ears!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008 | 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Default Any ideas or mods to help my setup. I'm all ears!

Hi all! Got a 99 T/A that I just drove outta state to pick up a Ram Air Hood for. I have the Volant Air Box (only they sent the single oval-shaped filter one for the Camaro instead of the dual filter one for the T/A from Volant). Since the hood itself acts as the lid for this setup, I've been playing around with the idea of making the hood fully functional by removing the baffle, but then the air and rain will be hitting straight onto the air filter it would seeem... Any ideas on how to get the hood to perform best with my setup? I also have been having a little trouble lining up the Suncoast Ram Air hood. I got it very very close through adjusting hod bolts and the black rubber bumpers in the engine bay, but it still shows slight gappage (maybe a 1/4") between the front bumper and the hood and about an 1/8" gap between hood and lights... Any ideas on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks all!

Oh... also... I saw someone who was having the typical "my idle on my tach is perfect, but the car has a slight rough idle shake to it" problem on another thread and someone said to clean the Air control motor or something located on the top driverside of the throttle body. What are they talking about? L8r all.

Old 12-30-2008 | 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

there is an iat sensor that plugs into where the lid was, you might try and clean that out, you may also want to spray maf cleaner on the maf and see if that helps.
Old 12-30-2008 | 05:37 PM
On The Tree

to the top
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by c5z28
there is an iat sensor that plugs into where the lid was, you might try and clean that out, you may also want to spray maf cleaner on the maf and see if that helps.
That was probably me and I was talking about the Idle Air Control motor. It is attatched the throttle body. On top of the drivers side. Unplug it and remove it from the throttle body. It is probably all carboned up. Use brake clean, throttle body cleaner, even wd-40 works to clean then gunk off. Then re-install the IAC and your done.

Old 12-30-2008 | 11:23 PM
On The Tree

That sounds like an interesting point... I'll try that tomorrow and see what comes of it. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-31-2008 | 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Wasn't hard to do. Not sure if it quite improved things yet as I haven't driven it, but it was easy to do and couldnt have hurt anything to get all that carbon buildup off. Thanks for the heads up on that!
Old 12-31-2008 | 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its common for all cars. It doesn't hurt and the majority of times it will cure an irratic and low idle.
Old 01-01-2009 | 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99345hp
That was probably me and I was talking about the Idle Air Control motor. It is attatched the throttle body. On top of the drivers side. Unplug it and remove it from the throttle body. It is probably all carboned up. Use brake clean, throttle body cleaner, even wd-40 works to clean then gunk off. Then re-install the IAC and your done.

what do you mean it was probably you? Iat the sensor that plugs into the lid, that you remove when changing from stock lid to your atermarket lid.
Old 01-01-2009 | 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the OP about cleaning the control motor.
Old 01-01-2009 | 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for all the help on affordable modding ideas n' stuff!