New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a few "noob" questions I need answers to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Have a few "noob" questions I need answers to...

Hey all! Been looking into more options to add more HP to my 99 T/A. I've been reading all I can on this site, but I need to ask a few "noob" questions and hopefully get some answers.

1. What is a ported throttle body, whats the point, and how much HP does it add on average if any?

2. Does a smooth bellows between the airbox and the throttle body really truley make any difference?

3. How hard would it be to add Traction Control to a non T/C T/A?

4. Will a welded from the I-pipe back exhaust help at all or wouldit have to be the whole exhaust catback enchillada?

5. Which is a better exhaust on a T/A? Borla or Hooker?

6. Is there anyway to avoid getting rain onto the Volant air box air filter with a ram air hood with the baffle removed?

Also, any other inexpensive ideas anyone has to raise up soem horsepower other than headers or internal engine (unless its easy to get to) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any of these answers anyone can answer! l8r all!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smgbad
Hey all! Been looking into more options to add more HP to my 99 T/A. I've been reading all I can on this site, but I need to ask a few "noob" questions and hopefully get some answers.

1. What is a ported throttle body, whats the point, and how much HP does it add on average if any?

2. Does a smooth bellows between the airbox and the throttle body really truley make any difference?

3. How hard would it be to add Traction Control to a non T/C T/A?

4. Will a welded from the I-pipe back exhaust help at all or wouldit have to be the whole exhaust catback enchillada?

5. Which is a better exhaust on a T/A? Borla or Hooker?

6. Is there anyway to avoid getting rain onto the Volant air box air filter with a ram air hood with the baffle removed?

Also, any other inexpensive ideas anyone has to raise up soem horsepower other than headers or internal engine (unless its easy to get to) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any of these answers anyone can answer! l8r all!

1. ported TB is the TB bore being bored bigger and smoothened. may make a small difference but probably not 'seat of the pants' difference

2. smooth bellows will make a difference by smoothening the intake air flow

3. to add TCS to a non-TCS car requires a lil more work. involves swapping out the 3-channel rearend for a 4-channel. not sure what else

4. a good catback on stock manifolds and y-pipe will make a difference but a huge difference with LTs and ORY

5. IMO i like hooker better

6. not entirely sure on this one but the filter oil helps keep out dirt and water
Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

1. A ported throttle body is just where you take the stock throttle body out and smooth out the inside of it. There is a writeup on how to do it at installuniversity.com under install documents. I did it and it seemed to help with throttle response a little but nothing big.

2. A smooth bellows probably doesn't help with anything. It looks nice but unless you really want it there's better things to spend your money on.

3. It would probably be fairly difficult. You would at least have to swap out a rear end with traction control along with wiring to go with it. Not worth it, just more stuff to go wrong IMO.

4. I'm sure it would help some, but it's better to get the whole thing.

5. That is up to your personal preference. Look up sound clips on youtube. I have borla and really like it, but it is pretty expensive and a lot of people think it just sounds like a straight pipe.

6. The chances of rain actually being a problem with something like that are really slim. It takes a lot of water to hydrolock your engine, a couple drops on your air filter is not going to do it.

If you're looking for power cheap you can start with the free mods. But for bolt on's headers really offer the best gains. There's a sticky at the top of this section called "so you wanna be fast" that will help you out with mods. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks all! ANy more ideas are appreciated, but awesome answers so far!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99 T/A.....

ok, I'll shoot.

Headers, lid, exhaust, LS6 intake manifold, tune. Solid low-mid 12's all day.

I haven't seen any concrete proof that a smooth bellows does anything more than create a headache with it popping off. Ported throttle body? Again, only good if you are the hardcore strip guy that needs that extra .001 sec. If you want to see real gains over the stock 75mm throttle body, you'll need an intake that matches and a tb that offers a real size increase (such as the 90/90 setup or the 92/92). Although, the ls6 with a stock tb is probably your best bet until you get some heads or a cam.