Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Throttle Body Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Throttle Body Bypass

I have a 2001 Z28 Camaro. I took it to get the transmission flushed out. The mechanic broke of the radiator line that goes to the throttle body. He sealed up the hole on the radiator its self and stuck the house underneath the airbox. He told me that since they broke this they had to bypass the throttle body. I do not see how this would be a good thing? The hose to the throttle body is just open and wedged between another hose under the airbox. Is this a bad thing? What should I do about this, Im not real knowledgeable about this kinda thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have had them get an estimate at that very moment. Now since you have left they could say that you did it or it was like that when you brought it in. If they were a reputable or respectable shop they would have done this without thinking twice.

As far as bypassing the throttle body it won't hurt anything. Several of us on here have done it, but not because of something like this. You should atleast try to make them return it to stock.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Throttle body bypass is not a bad mod if you don't drive your car in freezing weather. Where exactly did they break it?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spm4520
Throttle body bypass is not a bad mod if you don't drive your car in freezing weather. Where exactly did they break it?
They broke the little nipple thing on the end is what he told me. I dont see how this is a modification though? Hows it gonna help my horsepower with hoose just stuck under air box not attached to anything and no end cover open hole. I dont want this sucking down moisture or anything. How is the actual mod done? The weather here has been freezing around 10-30 degrees. When guy did it he said some Bs about how it dont get cold enough around where I live to worry about freezing up.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 332 Likes on 252 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It's not a good thing, you are right. Did he plug the end of the Hose..?

You know Coolant comes out of that, right?

I would get pics, then a statement from them, then tell that shitball that he knows nothing about how that system functions and why it needs to go to the Radiator, then I would have them get you a new Radiator.

Those lines have to bleed the Coolant out, they are there for a reason. I have seen people run LSX Engines without them, but I have it setup on my Stroker like it should be.

I'm sorry for the rant but no-knowledgeable ***** that do things to cars that don't have a fckn clue what they could cause then try to fix it with some half-assed cob job should get their **** revoked and not allowed to work.

If you cant keep up with the times and technology then get the **** out of the game.

Another excellent example of why I do my own work.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Banned

sometimes searching helps also... hope you get it all figured out... read a little..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...pass-pics.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-vs-cons.html
Old 01-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Teching In

No he didnt plug the end of the hose. Its still hooked to the throttle body but nothing else with the end open. I know coolant runs thru there but it wont be running thru there disconnected because the dumb *** broke the metal end and didnt try to fix instead he tucked the loose end of the hose under the airbox. Then put a screw and some kind of sealent in the hole to keep the fluid from leaking out the opening on the radiator stem . Should I plug the end of the hose until i can get it repaired? Ill take some pics tomorow and post them so you can see a little more what im talking about.

Last edited by cheefzboy; 01-17-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:39 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'd make sure that it's not leaking Coolant anywhere..

The way I see it is the dumb **** owes you a new Radiator.

Then when you do get it together, you can run the Rubber Hose from the Cross-over Tube on the Heads directly to the Radiator where it should go, that is the TB Bypass.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Banned

i was showing you how it is supposed to be done that way you could try to mock it.. and possibly fix your problem..

but they do owe you..
Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

trans shop does free mods for free seriously slap that ******* for breaking the fitting off your radiator.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure how it isn't leaking coolant either? If they only plugged one end, it has to be leaking some where. The bypass mod is only a good idea if you don't drive your car in freezing conditions. The theory behind it is that the cooler your TB, the cooler the air passing through it, cooler air = more hp. Here is a dyno result showing a 6HP gain from the mod. http://www.ws6.com/mod-8.htm

Make them fix it or take their *** to small claims court!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

I would have them pay for replacement of the damaged parts.

As far as the TB bypass, I have had mine bypassed on my car since day one. And I also have it bypassed on my daily driver (00 ext cab Z-71), and it was 8* on my way to work the other nite, and was 6* on the way home the next morning. It reached -1 to -2* overnight, and I had ZERO issues.

I mean c'mon, what's suppose to "freeze" in the TB anyhow? You don't have water traveling through the opening and around the blade
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This post has nothing to do with the throttle body bypass mod.
This is all about some guy getting his radiator ruined by a shop. It's fixed enough to collect the money and get the guy off the property, once he's off the property they are no longer liable to fix this guys broken radiator.

That repair WILL fail, your car WILL lose coolant and you will overheat it and possibly ruin it.
These radiators aren't cheap.

What if there was a hole in the winshield instead, would that be ok? You can tape over it and it won't leak.

I'd go in there and get a new radiator or break some of their ****.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this kind of reminds me off when i went to 0riellys one time. I go in i can't remember what it was for. But, i get my stuff an leave an the employee looks at me an asks me to help these 2 older ladys that needed a turn signal flasher relay. The guy asked me to install it on there car, I was like WTF it's not my job. So i did it anyway i told the woman i couldn't figure out where her relay was an didn't want to break anything. She drove a 1998 buick which she called a classic, She's like do you know where i can take my car nobody works on these classic cars. Said she took it to the dealer an they wanted to take all the bells an whistles off, and needed someone to work on her classic 1998 buick.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Going in and yelling or breaking things won't help a whole lot either. However, some tactful conversation leading towards a plausible end for both sides (being a proper fix or you explain to the local chamber of commerce what a wonderful crooked douche the guy is and how they should blacklist him) would be the correct way to go about this. And if that doesn't work, solution stated above, or just chop one of his brake lines. Either one could get the point across.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm just tryin to figure out how it's not leaking..
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96autoformula
Going in and yelling or breaking things won't help a whole lot either. However, some tactful conversation leading towards a plausible end for both sides (being a proper fix or you explain to the local chamber of commerce what a wonderful crooked douche the guy is and how they should blacklist him) would be the correct way to go about this. And if that doesn't work, solution stated above, or just chop one of his brake lines. Either one could get the point across.
Most of the time I leave the obvious out simply because I'm too lazy to type every step of resolving a situation like this.

Obviously you don't go in and just start breaking stuff, even after the conversation, even if they refuse to help.

The way I see it, an LS1 radiator= $xxx.xx and the shop sign = same $xxx.xx
Put a rock through it.
No one seen you do it, you didn't do it.

I've never actually done anything like that, but it crosses my mind, I usually just accept the dry F I just got and move on.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Well, that comes from learning how the Army teaches, and teaching others in the Army. Lowest common denominator.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't read all the replys but I hope someone told you that mechanic is a idiot. He broke the nipple off the radiator, right...This line runs to the throttle body and then to the steam lines on the front of the engine. These are a must to be hooked up and can't be deleted. It it true that you can bypass the TB, but that line has to be there. on mine I replaced the line with a single hose that runs from the radiator to the lines on the engine.

I hope you are making them buy you a new radiator and install it.

Re'
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
This post has nothing to do with the throttle body bypass mod.
Ok smartass, I believe he did comment on how he didn't see how having the throttle body by-passed could be good. So I gave him some information on that, as well as what I would do about the radiator.

Not to mention the title of the thread actually reads "LS1 throttle body bypass."

So...you can now

Last edited by BriancWS6; 01-20-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Throttle Body Bypass