New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My gears are screaming at me... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whining does start right around 2nd I would say... I just bought another OEM GM 3.73 matched set off an S-10 with a new shim kit to be on the safe side. Hopefully my guy I'm geting to install this one (who specializes in LS1s mostly) will be able to finally get me running quiet. If this works, it means I will have only spent $950-$1000 (depending on if I end up needing another new set of bearings) to do a successful gear swap... ::sigh::
Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

richmond gears aren't the best. they are not very strong. and its also hard to get them to not make any noise. and Motive gears do state that there will be some gear noise after installing them in your vehicle.

I know you were probably not there when your gears were installed, but did they use the same shims in the same side on the carrier? if you dont, your unit wil not line up the way that it did before the install. also, did they use the same pinion shim that was in your car originally? what is the backlash set at? If you ordered a Master Rebuild Kit, did this include ALL the bearings for the rearend?

All this stuff is important to acheiving a quiet rearend. Hope you get everything figured out!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had they same problem before i got my new gears put in. Ever since i bought my car almost two years ago 3.73 Richmond gears were put in to replace the stock ones. And up until a month ago the Richmond gears whined louder and louder until i finally blew out. And the guys at the shop that i got my rear end fixed said that for a while Richmond made bad gears.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

smgbad- do you have an update on your situation?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

I have OEM/GM 3:73's in a TRU-TRAC and no whine. Have had them in for ~ 5 years or so. [M6]

Quick Reply: My gears are screaming at me... HELP!!