New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG HELP!!! Catastrophic problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a reputable shop on the outskirts of town saying they have a used but in nice condition set of 243 LS2 heads off a GTO with Gold PRC Springs on it. He would remove both heads replace all the gaskets (including the head gaskets, intake gaskets, valve seals, etc..) and put new lifters in all for $1250. Still not 100% sure that the complete lack of compression in cylinder 1 isn't a hole in a piston instead of a head problem (although I don't run nitrous), but I can't afford to tear it down twice. He also said he'd switch out the springs with regular LS6 springs if I'd rather have those.

3 questions

Is it possible no compression in a cylinder is caused by something electrical or the head gasket?

Does that 243 GTO set of heads sound like it will work well on a 99 T/A fairly well w/o a custom tune?

Is this a good deal for everything?

P.S. My casting I currently have on my heads is in the 800's, but I don't remember the exact number.

Last edited by smgbad; 02-23-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smgbad
Is it possible no compression in a cylinder is caused by something electrical or the head gasket?
Electrical? No. Head gasket? Yes. Among other mechanical possiblities.

YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT ELECTRICAL
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

ideas anyone?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

So.... Your wife gave you 1200 bucks to work with? I would say don't buy those heads just yet, you need to find out if the problem IS your heads, or if it's something else, like say, a head gasket. Also, for example, if you managed to drop a valve (which I doubt in this case, just giving an example) you could also have bottom end damage on the motor (i.e. pistons, rods, etc etc)
So you really need to find out what the REAL issue is before you spend a lot of money on the wrong thing.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

dunno for sure but cant a lobe on the cam be ground down enough to keep the exhaust valve open causing no compression and a slight tick from the piston poping the valve up and down??? i am by no means a motor guy but is that a common possability
Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

I bought a bone stock 1998 TransAm a few years ago. It had a terrible miss in it, shook the whole car. I drove it 10 minutes to my house, never made a noise the whole time, had good oil pressure.

Got it home and later did a compression test. Found one cylinder dead. I was hoping for a blown gasket, instead I found this.

I sold the engine to a guy who honed one cylinder, put a used piston/rod in it and still drives it today.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-18-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** man! That is some carnage. I'm surprised it never made a sound driving it home...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smgbad
So you think they are wrong? Why?
dude post a video of the sound

does it sound like loose change in the engine bay, mine did the same thing and on the way home it shut off when i went to shift i pulled over and tried to crank it and threw a rod... hate to be the person to give you bad news but its internal stop driving it and take it apart no joke, 1200 might not be enough and your heads might not even be the problem so don't spend your money just yet

Last edited by Fotis; 02-23-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

imo i would get the thing tore down rather than post what we all think on here. no one is going to know exactly what it is. grab a wrench and get at it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yeah them 234 heads will work fine.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^
tear it down first, find the problem.....tell us.... then we will give you options and opinions of what to do next. until then we cant help you..... dont ask about modding it until you know what needs to be fixed.... mods are useless unless everything works properly. i also wouldnt be surprised if lucas, or any of the other junk you added to the engine made it worse.... running something that is thick in your crank case causes stress on the internals, which is why 99% of the time when people start adding junk other than oil to their motor things start to go south.

now onto the problem at hand.... current things that could cause a dead cyl....

1: head gasket
2: bad piston rings
3: broken connecting rod like above.....although that would produce a LOT of noise....and a hole in the block more than likely
4: burned, warped or cracked valve(s)
5: crack in the cyl wall
6: crack or opening in the head (not near an oil or water passage, so this means that they wont necessarly mix)

these are just to name a few things..... so until your motor is torn down, you wont know the cause or how to fix it. once you know that then we can be of further assistance....if its something thats going to cost a lot to repair, you can find a used shortblock or long block for a decent price, slap it in and go. even find one with heads and a cam already installed for a fair price here on tech in the classifieds section. either way. you would need headers/tune afterwards, since you seem to be on a budget i dont see that happening

but who knows. we arent your "ls1buddies" so you dont have to listen to us j/k
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

But I really would listen to us...

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't let your wife make you sell your car.

Last edited by IWGF; 02-24-2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: No man should be without his baby!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

lol. thanks everyone. I'm going to give it to the shop and get them to tear it down. I'll post what they find so we can go from there.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IWGF
But I really would listen to us...

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't let your wife make you sell your car.
stand your grown don't sell it!!!!

if anything tell her that if she makes you sell it she can't ever bitch about anything for the next ten year (the reason i say ten is cause after ten regardless of your age you just wont give a **** if they bitch or not)
Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

**** man! That is some carnage. I'm surprised it never made a sound driving it home...
Nope, the girl I bought it from said she'd been driving it for months like that.
Guess it beat some clearance into the block by the time I got it.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, I'm surprised it didn't punch holes in the block/head... Got any pictars of the cylinder wall? I bet it was ugly...
Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

that's crazy that it even ran! wow...
Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

Lol, I'm surprised it didn't punch holes in the block/head... Got any pictars of the cylinder wall? I bet it was ugly...
No, It had one notch knocked out of the very bottom of the cylinder. It wasn't bad. I reached in with a die grinder to remove the bur. Then took a piston from another cylinder to put in there temp and it didn't really come down to hit the spot that was missing.
The oil pickup was dented slightly.

Scarey it was in a bone stock A4 car with 2.73's.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

too many posts to read. base engine malfunction will not cause limp home, but it could cause the shitty performance, which could be mistaken for limp home i suppose. only thing that will cause limp home is a problem in throttle pos sensor. find someone with a tech 2 who can look at the engine data and interpret it to be typical or not. these problems are very simple to figure out for someone who knows how to read and interpret engine data.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GM WORLD CLASS
too many posts to read. base engine malfunction will not cause limp home, but it could cause the shitty performance, which could be mistaken for limp home i suppose. only thing that will cause limp home is a problem in throttle pos sensor. find someone with a tech 2 who can look at the engine data and interpret it to be typical or not. these problems are very simple to figure out for someone who knows how to read and interpret engine data.
no offense you probably shoulda at least fast read most of the posts... he has an internal poblem

OP: any news btw?!?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GM WORLD CLASS
One of the infamous "ls1 buddies" I presume?

Quick Reply: OMG HELP!!! Catastrophic problem!