New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Headers Soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009 | 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Installing Headers Soon

I bought headers and a few other items, I'm installing them soon, i was wondering if I'm missing anything, here is the list:

-Kooks Stepped Style Headers (1 3/4 - 1 7/8)
- TSP ORY
- 24in o2 Extensions
- GM gaskets
- NGK plugs
- MSD wires

Is there anything else i need to install this successfully? Thank You
Old 03-01-2009 | 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You reusing your stock header bolts? Some guys do, I bought Stage 8 locking ones for when I install my LT's in a couple weeks. Also you welding your ORY up? If not you are going to need some band clamps. Other than that, just get it tuned after and I think you'll be good.
Old 03-01-2009 | 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it ok for me to run my stock header bolts? Also do i need o2 simulators? Thanks
Old 03-01-2009 | 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ReApEr75
Also do i need o2 simulators? Thanks
If you plan on getting the car tuned after putting the headers on, then I would say don't waste the extra $$$ on simulators. Your tuner will be able to tune out the rear o2's so you won't be throwing codes.
Old 03-01-2009 | 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it ok for me to run my stock header bolts? Also do i need o2 simulators? Thanks
You can run your stock bolts, just be real careful not to break them when you are taking them off. I'm planning on spraying all my bolts with some blaster like the night before and letting them soak overnight so hopefully they loosen up. And you don't need O2 simulators if you are getting a tune, the tuner will just tune the rear O2's out.
Old 03-01-2009 | 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg_74
You can run your stock bolts, just be real careful not to break them when you are taking them off. I'm planning on spraying all my bolts with some blaster like the night before and letting them soak overnight so hopefully they loosen up. And you don't need O2 simulators if you are getting a tune, the tuner will just tune the rear O2's out.
i sprayed with some WD40 and waited 10 min, and none of mine broke, came out pretty easy compared to some of the stories ive heard.
Old 03-02-2009 | 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Your ORY might have come with a U-clamp but do yourself a HUGE favor and go spend $20 on a band clamp. You absolutely want to refrain from using U-clamps when possible so you don't crimp the pipes which makes them difficult to get off and near impossible to put back on (for future work).
Old 03-02-2009 | 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

i reused my stock bolts....no issues.

i suggest spending the $50 or so and buy poly motor mounts. it will solidify the engine and prevent ALOT of hassles with ypipe clearance with the frame.

and doing the mounts with the manifolds off is 100x easier than doing it with them on. and with the headers in its damn near impossible.
Old 03-02-2009 | 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought headers and a few other items, I'm installing them soon, i was wondering if I'm missing anything, here is the list:

-Kooks Stepped Style Headers (1 3/4 - 1 7/8)
- TSP ORY
- 24in o2 Extensions
- GM gaskets
- NGK plugs
- MSD wires

Is there anything else i need to install this successfully? Thank You
It is also highly recommended to do Poly motor mounts with headers... but thats a whole other job. Up to you if you do this, but you may or may not have y-pipe banging issues afterwards if you dont do them...
Also I wasnt aware that the TSP ORY works with the Kooks headers... you sure it'll fit?
Old 03-02-2009 | 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by udienow
It is also highly recommended to do Poly motor mounts with headers... but thats a whole other job. Up to you if you do this, but you may or may not have y-pipe banging issues afterwards if you dont do them...
Also I wasnt aware that the TSP ORY works with the Kooks headers... you sure it'll fit?
As far as the motor mounts, I'm not planning on doing them although some guys suggest it. My roommate has QTP's with a TSP ORY and hasn't have any y banging problems and there is a built on bracket on my LPP ORY to hold it in place on the driver's side so mine won't bang. I also was wondering about the TSP ORY with the Kooks although the TSP is adjustable and fits their new headers that are 1 7/8's so I could see it working.
Old 03-02-2009 | 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

You going to re-use your header gaskets? I changed mine when I did it. Also, you doing race headers? ls6 mani? You may need block off plates for the EGR for your intake, and headers.
Old 03-02-2009 | 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
You going to re-use your header gaskets? I changed mine when I did it. Also, you doing race headers? ls6 mani? You may need block off plates for the EGR for your intake, and headers.
I believe he said hes got new gaskets, which I would reccomend. New gaskets are always a good thing. Yeah block off plates for EGR if you are planning on deleting them, which I would suggest...that rusty thing looks ugly and clutters the engine bay. And as someone said before, make sure you use band clamps or weld...U-clamps are horrible. Good luck with the install, I guarentee you'll be satisfied when you are done
Old 03-02-2009 | 03:55 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

band clamps boooo. get that crap welded . no exhuast leaks dumdumdum
Old 03-02-2009 | 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by daryn c
^^^^^^^^^^^I'm with him^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-02-2009 | 04:36 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

seriously. get it welded. i was going over a bridge one day and i hit a bump and the shitty band clamp came off and part of my y pipe was dragging under my car . i was like WTFFFFFFFFFFFF
Old 03-02-2009 | 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by daryn c

And a royal PIA if you ever have to get it off.

Slip fits rarely leak and a GOOD stainless band clamp won't let you down. 22k on my band clamps with NO issues.
Old 03-03-2009 | 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by udienow
I forgot to mention that i did buy poly motor mounts with the headers. Yes the TSP ORY works with the Kooks Headers, i asked TSP they said it does. I shouldnt see why it wouldn't work, 3in outlet on the headers to 3in y-pipe. Thanks for the help
Old 03-03-2009 | 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
No, i have brand new GM gaskets. I'm not going race headers and i dont have ls6 manifold YET! lol, why would i need block off plates for my EGR and headers?
Old 03-03-2009 | 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Cuz if you were running race headers....but if you are keeping all emissions, until you do the ls6 mani, you will be fine. When you do the mani swap though...unless you buy the SLP ls6 mani that has the EGR plug, you will need to cap it off at the header as well.