New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009 | 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Default What is a torque arm?

Seriously, after searching here and the net I just need a simple answer! And...is it worth upgrading?
Old 03-05-2009 | 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joshu
Seriously, after searching here and the net I just need a simple answer! And...is it worth upgrading?
In a short answer.... YES.

Upgrading suspension components is usually the last thing newer forum members start to think about.

A better torque arm will allow to adjust (if you buy adjustable) for a variety of factors that other forum members will elaborate on. Basically, you get more traction and less wear on drivetrain components if you do it right.
Old 03-05-2009 | 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

it is a piece of metal that connects to the differential housing. the purpose for this is to make the rear end stay straight under load.

here is a picture of a torque arm

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...ion/tcp-ta.jpg
Old 03-06-2009 | 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

The torque arm is the red piece in the center that goes from the rear end to the bracket by the trans tail shaft.

This version is a tunnel brace mounted one as opposed to a tranny tail shaft mounted version. I would spend the extra money for the tunnel brace mounted variant. I've seen too many cars eventually snap the tailshaft right off the tranny from too many hard launches.

As far as which brand to use I have UMI suspension parts on my car and can't say enough about the quality and customer service they have.