Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help is my engine blown.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009 | 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Time for a rebuild dood.

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
I assume you did this but look for "corvette" performance shops in your area, since it has the same exact engine. I also agree that running for a couple minutes is gonna do damage, if theres little oil left.
It does not have the Exact same engine. Over 700 posts and you think this?
Old 03-15-2009 | 04:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A LS1 Corvette has the same EXACT motor as a LS1 Fbody. Only differences would be the "batwing" oil pan on the vette, and the alternator placement. Other than that, especially internally, they are the same.

As far as your motor goes, get it checked out by someone who knows what theyre doing. Now with a pretty big hole you could lose ALL of your oil in under a minute. Loss of oil is never good, and more than likely you did some internal damage. You say the motor isnt making noise, and if your bearings were toast when you lost oil you would hear some serious knocking. You might want to check your oil pump as well, because if it went dry it could destroy the pump. Your mechanic should have taken a look at your bearings while the pan was off, thats the only way to really see what damage was done. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-15-2009 | 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by faster_n_you98
It does not have the Exact same engine. Over 700 posts and you think this?
what guy above said. its the same. thats why gm underrated our power rating, so the corvette would look better.
Old 03-16-2009 | 04:03 AM

thanks guys alot of good info, I think the best bet is to have someone look at it.
and TIRESMOKE! , my mecanic was a dumb ***. he said leave the old pump i told him to replace it i should of just forced the issue.

O yeah a buddie of mine told me that sometimes these cars go into SAFE MODE and make the car loose power becuase the computer notice no oil and made it's performance down to 50% is this TRUE? he told me to take the terminals off the batterie and reset computer for 24hours then see if that works? Will that loose my tune tho you know what F*** TUNE I Just want my ride back , IT HURTS.
Old 03-16-2009 | 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ well, i doubt it. i mean, there is no way to run the engine "safely" with low oil like that. programing a "safe mode" wouldnt get you home without blowing the engine.
Old 03-16-2009 | 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Are cars do have a limp home mode, not sure if low oil will activate it. I did activate it a few times when I hurt my transmission in my 93 T/A.
Old 03-16-2009 | 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

The C5 Corvettes had identical powerplants with minor differences (cam) but overall they were the same engine. So any "Corvette" shop should be able to work on one.

F-bodys do not have limp home mode. You should definitely find a new mechanic if he told you to re-use your old oil pump. Do some research on the mechanic before you decide on where to take it so you don't end up with another blown motor.

No, removing power from your car will not make you lose your tune. It's like an Ipod, or a Flashdrive. It retains the memory irregardless of whether or not it has power. But the most you are going to do by leaving the battery cables unplugged is make your car have to learn how to idle again.

My advice would be to take it to a shop as quickly as possible (while it's still running) You could end up with a seized motor, or a much more costly re-build if you keep driving it as it is. If you did hurt the bearings you could end up spinning a main, for example. New crank or ground crank?
Old 03-16-2009 | 11:51 AM

Default I have oil pressure

I took the car to the dealer , They said they did a mecanical oil Pressure test and there is no problem with my oil pressure it just the Oil Pressure sending unit is bad and makeing the gauge faulty,?

Now i asked them how much to replace they said $500.00
They also told me that the Sending unit only send information to the gauge and does not controll the pressure to the engine so i said why spend 500 to replace that when i can put aftermarket gauge for $100.

Now , they said the only way to find the problem is to do a whole bunch of test that will run me a NON SENSE price's He added up $1000 worth diag before parts are problem is found,

Please some one help me i dont know what to do , Also i have a Check engine light on that is my tps , But that was there before the oil pan incident!.... I replaced the tps and it still shows Check Engine Light.

What should i do next,? Compression check see if my block is good.? i dont want to spend all kind of money with mecanics ? daignosting and spending $1000 before i even fix the problem!
Old 03-16-2009 | 11:55 AM

O yeah and is there a limp mode or not ? and if there is why would my car be in a safe limp mode?
Old 03-16-2009 | 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
^ well, i doubt it. i mean, there is no way to run the engine "safely" with low oil like that. programing a "safe mode" wouldnt get you home without blowing the engine.
No this guy claims it went into limp mode after i put the new oil pan and oil,
Not right after i hit the pan.!, But if it did why and how do i take it off limp,.?
Old 03-16-2009 | 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

There is no limp home mode for F-body's. And you have to understand you can have perfectly good oil pressure with 1 quart of oil. That in no way tells you the health of an engine to a detailed degree. How would a compression check help? For the price you are going to spend at a dealership just tough it up and rebuild the damn motor.
Old 03-16-2009 | 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

INS..... They have the limp mode AND the same cam as a corvette LS1. Why would the cheap GM bastards spend $$$ to make another cam for a Vette. I have SEEN these cars in limp mode BTW just from stall changes. Running hot (I believe +260*) will also send it to limp in addition to some other things...

To the OP. All you have to do is pull the intake and install switch and reinstall intake. Don't know the book labor rate is but those are OUTRAGEOUS prices for that job.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 03-16-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2009 | 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Buy a oil sending unit from autozone for like 30 bucks. I broke mine while doing an intake swap. It sits right behind the intake. Don't ever go to a dealership unless you are covered with a warranty.
Old 03-16-2009 | 03:55 PM

Default just pick it up

I just went and picked it up from the dealer because they want to much money i still wind up spending 96.00 for A BIG FAT NOTHING... ?

I drove the car home only 2 blocks away, And i feel there is a minor issue with this car i dought the compression is bad , but what do i know.

Also if it helps they told me the car is running to lean, also the check engine light will not go off even tho i have replaced the TPS the error still comes back.???

P.s i miss my ride.lol
Old 03-16-2009 | 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
INS..... They have the limp mode
I'll retract my statement. F-bodys computers do pull timing if there is something wrong such as knock. But I doubt what the OP was experiencing was low power due to pulled timing.

AND the same cam as a corvette LS1.Why would the cheap GM bastards spend $$$ to make another cam for a Vette.
Oh really?
Old 03-16-2009 | 06:37 PM
Teching In

Round one Fight
Old 03-16-2009 | 07:42 PM

We'll maybe that is what happen maybe my car pull the timing in order to save it from something, the question is what?

Damn. Can anyone figutre this out?
Old 03-16-2009 | 07:45 PM

[QUOTE=faster_n_you98;11245950]Time for a rebuild dood.

Nice Faster N You , Let's rebuild the whole engine for 3,000 And not take the time out to diagnost and see if there is a issue with a sensor or something that is leaning my car out!,..

Im sick of saying there's a problem with my engine and people come back with buy a new SHORT BLOCK, and BUY A NEW ENGINE ! or DO A rebuild when u need to clean your MAF Or something
Old 03-16-2009 | 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
OP drop on the the throttle is a sign of excessive bearing clearances and will often rise after the drop as rpm's increase.
Yep. You are going to spin a bearing if you keep driving the car, you may already have. Time for a complete tear down. There is no easy fix for running the engine out of oil.
Old 03-16-2009 | 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

take it to a sponsor, screw the stealership or your dumbass mechanic

Quick Reply: Please help is my engine blown.