Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mod(s) next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mod(s) next?

Just sold my dirtbike so I have about $1000 to spend. Suspension,wheels, or hotcam? I know I need some sfc's, so I was thinking that and the hotcam kit would spend it pretty well. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: What mod(s) next?

Depends on where you wanna go with your car. I think that the hotcam is a great beginner cam, but if you're lookin for 425+ I think its a bit small. More details will help people with ideas, ie where you are wanting to go with this car. Just my .02
Old 10-20-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want a cam that will be fine for a daily driver and one that won't chew through valve springs every year,yet still put down some decent #'s. My other choice on a cam was the TR220 112lsa, but the hotcam kit was on special this month from a vendor.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

I would get some suspension stuff. I would get a STB, springs, LCA, APHR. You can have a lot of power but if you can put it to the ground you might as well be stock IMO.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you do a cam, look into some of the other grinds. There are a ton of grinds out there that have better driveability/idle characteristics and make more power than the hotcam.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

JDP, if you're lookin for a decent cam thats not gonna blow your valvetrain every 10k miles, I'd look into the TR224 People have been having great successes with that cam. Its not radical but still definitely lays some decent power down. You'll have to replace the springs when you do this, call TR up, but 918's should do just fine. The bluestripes are very dependable. Call up some sponsers and ask them for opinions, that never hurt anyone. If you want some member's own opinions, go into Internals and browse through the posts where people just replaced their cams, see what they were happy with. Lots of people have changed out their cams, LOTS.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cyphur,
what kind of maintenence is involved with the TR224? How often would I have to change springs,etc?
Old 10-20-2003, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

JDP, I wish I could answer you better then this, but I dunno. I don't run the cam, but it shouldn't be a whole lot more maintenence then stock. This cam doesn't have insane ramp rates, nor does it suffer from MLS(massive lift syndrome) so its definitely not a valvetrain killer. Thats one of the reasons this cam is so nice. If you slap 918's in there, you should be good for quite a while. Give TR a call tomorrow, I'm sure they'd love to talk to you about it. They've always been more then willing to talk, even when its just for my own knowledge and not a purchase. You can also do a search in Internal Engine for the TR224, I just got done reading a couple posts in there about them. Hope this helped man!!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah definitly helped,which is why I come to this board more than some of the others. It just seems like there is more info and people willing to share their $.02. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

224 is definatly a nice cam...
i have one...but mine is a xr-e comp grind..
224 is very streetable in a m6... but get a tune as well...(that goes for any cam swap i dont care if you think you got away with out one)
mine idles very well with a healthy but mild lope and pulls like a raped ape in the power band while not losing torque under the curve...
i have heard the same things for the tr224
Old 10-23-2003, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh boy, just saw that TR is having a special on cams until the end of the month . I guess I know where some of my money is going