New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible tranny problem... lil help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible tranny problem... lil help!

I put a B & M tranny cooler on this past weekend and it turns out I didn't screw the hose clamps on tight enough and I was leaking tranny fluid. Well two days ago I tightened the one that I thought was loose and put in a quart of mobil tranny fluid to compensate for what I lost. And today I replaced the grinding gear in my headlight assembly on my trans am, while I was under I noticed two more connections were loose and I was leaking more fluid so I snugged those up. And now heres my problem, when im going 25 and punch it it downshifts fine and goes. However when I get closer to 55 at WOT I redline and the tranny will not shift again until I slow down and get off the throttle. So my question is what could the problem be? Do I need to recheck the tranny fluid level and add/remove fluid as needed, or is this a more serious problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

first thing you always do when diagnosing a automatic tranny problem is check the fluid level.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Definately recheck the trans level 1st. Also I had an issue when I put a Summit aluminum trans cooler on my '68 Camaro. I had the lines swapped This caused air in the system and I had a similiar problem.
1st check the trans fluid and if that is OK then check the lines and make sure the cooler in and out are hooked up right.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Wel I fxed the problem today... I jacked the car up to look at all the connections again ad the one that I missed to tighten was super loose! I could turn it by hand. It was leaking like a civ, so I tightened the **** out of it and had to put 2 quarts of tranny fluid in it, and everything seems to be good now but I will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks. I knew something seemed wrong when my undercarriage was covered in a red fluid and dripping. It was under my hood, just a mess. aparently there is some serious pressure running through those lines.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well hopefully now you keep an eye on your tranny fluid level more closely. Also, maybe you know this and maybe you don't but check the fluid with the car warm, running and in park and add only a little at a time. Then shift through all the gears holding each gear for a few seconds and then go back to park and check the level again.

Remember with tranny fluid.....it's a hell of a lot easier to add more than take some out. If you add too much your tranny may not shift properly and cause premature failure depending on how much extra you added.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Ya I def. will I let it run til it was completly warmed up and shifted through all the gears to get the fluid movin while the car was on and by the dipstick im still a little low, but it feels fine driving wise. And when I say low its at the bottom hole in the stick if you know what Im talking about so Im assuming that is ok.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

It's marked right on the stick where the level should be when it's warm. It needs to be there
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't mess around with tranny fluid. just put in what the dipstick tells you.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Ya I agree with that.... I think im just going to change the tranny fluid and put a new gasket on and all that good stuff so I know it is at the right level. I really do not like guessing. Is there a right up on how to do that? I havent searched yet and usually do but if you have one on hand that would be great!