Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a nightmare - (PLEASE READ)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowSS416
I agree, since he failed to have it towed immediately after hitting the oil pan. Out of curosity, would comprehensive coverage pay if he had it towed on the spot? The only reason I ask is bc I believe you said previously your an agent.

I'm not an agent, but I've worked in insurance for over 20 years.

I just asked one of our claims adjusters your question.....he felt that if the car was not driven or driven very little after the oil pan was hit there could be coverage. However, if the car was driven for a while after the oil pan was hit he felt there would be NO coverage.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Comprehensive coverage will not pay for a new motor! Read your policy! The guy ran his car w/o oil.......
are you saying if i have comp, my insurance will pay for a new engine (as long as it wasnt abused/neglected)
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

We’ll use water ingestion as an example, Say you drive through a puddle and your engine gets seized, they will typically cover it,however, it is not a “new” engine.

If you have a 100K mile vehicle, they will find a used engine with less than or equal to the number of miles on the vehicle. Typically they have to go the year of the vehicle or newer, Some of this will vary based on the state you live in, insurance company and such. The insurance companies job is to make the vehicle back to preincident condition. So your tired 100K mile motor, will get replaced with another 100K motor, and not a new crate engine. I am sure people can see why this would be the case.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i never knew comp covered that. i probably would just get a new crate engine myself because my rates would probably skyrocket
Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you can find a used long block for pretty cheap on here, or get a basic rebuild for less than a crate motor....
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slayerized6
i never knew comp covered that. i probably would just get a new crate engine myself because my rates would probably skyrocket

To my knowledge, if you make a claim under comprehensive, your rates don't increase. Comp insurance is for stuff you have no control over. Deer, trees falling on your car, etc. I have no idea if comp covers the drive train or not.

Anyway, to the OP: Your motor is toast, Buddy. Wake up and smell the burnt oil. If you act now, you might get away with a standard rebuild. Otherwise, can you say "$$$$ Shiny new Motor $$$$$" ?