New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil and filter question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Royal Purple and Motorcraft filter. I know its Ford but from personal training in that department Ford does it best.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by linebacker50
since we are on the subject of oil. i have heard that cars with a good amount of miles on them should not use synthetic. and i was just curious if i could/should use this in my car. its got 118xxx on the clock.

If your engine leaks now it may leak more if you use real synthetic. If it does not leak now it will likely not leak if you use real synthetic. My Z28 has over 100k miles, is currently running GC, and has no leaks or weeps.

But yours may. Keep an eye on it for the first one or two intervals. If it does begin to leak you can go back to regular oil with absolutely no problems.

They key phrase in the beginning paragraph being "real synthetic." Most oils calling themselves synthetic are highly refined mineral oils. They have been refined sufficiently that courts of law decided they can be classed as "man made," thus "synthetic." They may have varying amounts of real synthetics in their base stocks. Those containing more of the synthetic stock may leak more.

Sludge and varnish can build up over/around seals & gaskets, preventing seal conditioners from reaching those parts and keeping them in top condition. Pennzoil Platinum is a good cleaning oil and would be a good idea for an oil change or two to clean your engine. Many here would counsel the Seafoam treatment in your oil, and I have no problems with it. I'm not in a hurry much any more and for my money slower is often better. A couple of changes of either PP or maybe even a high-mileage oil is good for cleaning out the internals.

Something I've used in several of my cars to good effect is Auto-RX. It is a slow and gentle cleaner that reconditions seals and cleans out sludge and varnish. Follow the instructions from the website and you can't go wrong. I've been very happy with it. In my F250SD V10 it cleaned out under the valve cover so well it was all silver and shiny where it was a dull chestnut color. It didn't so so well in the Z28, but I attribute that to much less oil splash under the valve color. Still, with as well as it cleaned in the V10 I'm sure it did the trick where I couldn't see it.

Happy motoring.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Something I've used in several of my cars to good effect is Auto-RX. It is a slow and gentle cleaner that reconditions seals and cleans out sludge and varnish. Follow the instructions from the website and you can't go wrong. I've been very happy with it. In my F250SD V10 it cleaned out under the valve cover so well it was all silver and shiny where it was a dull chestnut color. It didn't so so well in the Z28, but I attribute that to much less oil splash under the valve color. Still, with as well as it cleaned in the V10 I'm sure it did the trick where I couldn't see it.

Happy motoring.
I used Auto-RX in my maxima... though I didnt pull anything to look inside to actually see how well it cleaned or not... I did however see the oil was very black after just 2000 miles, which to me indicates it was doing something. I plan to do this on my TA as well.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im a royal purple guy 5w30 and k&n wrench off filter