Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil and filter question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil and filter question

What type of oil [ full synthetic, syn blend or reg oil] should I run in my formula and what brand filter[ I've always been a delco man] would anyone suggest?I just bought this thing and I want to do the right thing.
Attached Thumbnails oil and filter question-dscn0092.jpg  
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

synthetic and use mobil 1 or castrol edge, stay away fom fram filters just keep the delco filters or use the mobil 1 filters
Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

5w-30 mobile1 synthetic and mobile 1 filter here. LS1s r supposed to have full synthetic. avoid K&N oil filters. all you are buying is a crappy filter with a popular name. If you read the box, they only have a 90% filtering rate, while a mobile1 or WIX has 99.9%.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I personally use Royal Purple or Castrol Syntech. I have always used FRAM filters... (shrug) first time I heard someone say something negative about them.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

I run 0w-30 German Castrol full syn. and a AC Delco filter. You are going to get so many different post here. To bad the search isn't working becuase there is about 700 billion give or take, threads exactly like this.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any name brand oil in a 5w-30, changed at 3-5k mile intervals.

Any oil filter in the WIX family, M1, K&N, Purolator, Motorcraft, Delco, or Wal-Mart. The truck versions of the filter are a little taller and provide more filter area. I always buy two filters if I'm buying that brand for the first time and cut one of them open to see how they are made. Fram have cardboard endcaps to the filter media, the others have steel endcaps.

Good luck, and happy motoring.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is what I use for oil:

That is the "German Castrol" that you may have heard about. It is what a lot of people use... must be 0w-30 and say european formula on it.

For a filter I use the Mobil 1 filter part# M1-206. It is a longer filter then stock, but fits well. I use this instead of the recommended mobil filter cause I like to go 6k on my oil.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car runs a couple pounds more OP on the GC than the M1 so that's all it gets now. M1 is not what it used to be since Exxon bought them out.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

im running castrol syntec with AC DELCO filter. but im thinking bout using the K & N filter.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible

Any oil filter in the WIX family, M1, K&N, Purolator, Motorcraft, Delco, or Wal-Mart. The truck versions of the filter are a little taller and provide more filter area. I always buy two filters if I'm buying that brand for the first time and cut one of them open to see how they are made. Fram have cardboard endcaps to the filter media, the others have steel endcaps.

+1 on the filter. I use wix so the crap cardboard won't break off and go into my engine. As far as oil, i think that is just a preference, but i would atleast go with synthetic.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
I run 0w-30 German Castrol full syn. and a AC Delco filter. You are going to get so many different post here. To bad the search isn't working becuase there is about 700 billion give or take, threads exactly like this.
i'd say thats a good estimate haha
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

how well are those K & N oil filters? i use AC DELCO. but advanced auto has a killer deal right now for synthetic oil and the kn filter.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by udienow
Here is what I use for oil:

That is the "German Castrol" that you may have heard about. It is what a lot of people use... must be 0w-30 and say european formula on it.

For a filter I use the Mobil 1 filter part# M1-206. It is a longer filter then stock, but fits well. I use this instead of the recommended mobil filter cause I like to go 6k on my oil.
It doesn't have to say European formula, unless they recently changed the label to add it. As long as the area where the weight oil is is a red box it is German.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Real GC says "Made in Germany" on the back. That's the real giveaway.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like the Quaker State Horsepower oil.i use 10w-30 and a NAPA gold filter.ive compared it side by side with a Mobile 1 amd the holes on top of the NAPA filter are bugger than the ones on the mobile
Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you are gonna get a million + posts in the next few days with every Tom, Dick, and Harry saying what they run instead of answering your question I'll do the honors. Use a motor oil that is full synthetic. Mobile 1, Castrol, Quaker, blah blah blah. Make up your own mind with the brand by reading the back of the bottles. As for a filter, do the same thing. Just read the label and compare filtering ratings. You'll see the ones that have the better filter rating, (in the high 90%'s). I've heard some guys on here say they like the K&N because it has a bolt on the bottom so you can take it off with a wrench so it makes it easier. If there are multiple filters you can't decide on cause they both seem good or what not, read the labels and pick what you think will be best. There's a thousand people out there that will tell you that Mobile 1, K&N, Delco, or whatever is not good because their Mom's, sister's, uncle's dad heard they are crap.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

At the moment I'm using the one in the picture up there. 0w-30 European Formula. My valvetrain/piston slap seemed to get louder on cold starts, but it goes away fairly quick and overall the car seems to like it. Not really much of a difference than the last oil though.

Also, got the K&N filter because of the special AZ was having, lol.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

K&N Filter make my life so much easier... So easy to take on and off.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible

Very, very good advice here. Also, try a few different brands of oil to find exactly what your car likes. I've gone through penzoil platinum, M1, royal purple, etc, and my car seems to like regular old Castrol gtx. Works for me! I can get a jug and a quart and a Delco filter at walmart for under $30 (sometimes less if it's on sale).
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

since we are on the subject of oil. i have heard that cars with a good amount of miles on them should not use synthetic. and i was just curious if i could/should use this in my car. its got 118xxx on the clock.