New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreening MAF

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to descreen mine since im running a dry shot, heard its better to descreen when you run a dry shot of nitrous.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Teching In

I had LTs Ypipe Borla and Lid with a 3600 Stall and ran a 12.67 with descreened MAF....I cant say i ever saw any issues with it....BUT on my latest LS1 I have just left it, I would be pretty pissed if i did it and it ran like ****....IMO do the other "free" mods and leave the MAF alone....Do some real mods!!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Launching!

wow I just wasted all that time reading bs
Old 03-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Did mine a couple of weeks ago and no problems. But I also did the K&N intake P&P TB coolant bipass and smothed out the ridge wear the screen in the MAF was so I think I eliminated an kind of air turbulence that the screen was straightening.

Also being new I had to do a ton of searching. The best post I found said the later corvettes were descreened because there are not enough bends in the intake to cause significant turbulence. If you look at the K&N design it's a smooth straight shot from the filter to the TB.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

While it might not hurt the car I have never read anything proving any significant benefit from de-screening it. I've seen a few people who have gotten misc. stuff stuck in it so thats a benefit to keeping it on. but regardless I dont see any point in removing it as its not proven to gain anything and until I see some dyno results showing any kind of improvement I'll leave mine alone. Although I have heard if your running a dry shot of n20 its better to descreen it.

The way I look at it on a stock or basic bolt on car, there are other bottle necks that will restrict HP before that little screen affects performance at all.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
While it might not hurt the car I have never read anything proving any significant benefit from de-screening it. I've seen a few people who have gotten misc. stuff stuck in it so thats a benefit to keeping it on. but regardless I dont see any point in removing it as its not proven to gain anything and until I see some dyno results showing any kind of improvement I'll leave mine alone. Although I have heard if your running a dry shot of n20 its better to descreen it.

The way I look at it on a stock or basic bolt on car, there are other bottle necks that will restrict HP before that little screen affects performance at all.
Agreed, Well said
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with ^^^ as well. And if anyone else watched all of TheBlueKnight's video, it really is awesome how much the donuts help. Back in november i dropped my personal best from a 13.23 to a 12.93 by doing nothing more than using spares as front runners. I couldn't believe it.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Launching!

IMO totally not worth it. Especially if you drive your car consistently AND have and aftermarket intake. With the design of the ram air coming from under the radiator there is a big chance that things can get sucked up the duct. Couple weeks ago car was idling funny, so I took off the lid and checked out the MAF and there was plastic melted on the screen. NO idea how it got through the filter, everything seems sealed up well. For the extra 3-4 rwhp IF ANY, IMO not worth it.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 AM

I wouldn't have done it with the lid and free ram air mod.

I didn't notice how old the post was sorry for throwing more fuel on fire LOL.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

I've found crap on the screens upon inspection after purchase on all the three LS1 cars I've owned. This is with stock airbox in place. For this reason I wouldn't run it open without a screen. What I did do was replace the screens with those honeycomb airflow straigheners. Less restrictive than the screen, and the tubing does more to reduce turbulence.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.saxonpc.com/airflow-products.htmlThis is the one I run.My car run like crap when I pulled my screen out so I bought one of these.car runs perfect now.But my car was tuned with the screen in before I took it out.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Just ordered one of those screens as mine was purchased descreened
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
notice i said MOST likely. you also have a lot of mods that can benefit from it. on a mostly stock car it will more than likely mess up the fuel/air ratio
uhm, my cars all stock.. only a slp lid and muffler delete.. i PnP the TB and de screened the MAF before any of that and it ran fine. you dont know what your talking about son
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM

I know this has been beet to death but I also found some little twigs and a tiny pebble stuck in my screen. After inspecting the factory lid I found that the little foam gasket between the rubber and plastic was not installed correctly or had been sucked in. Also the foam was getting brittle. To anyone who is seeing junk getting past the air filter and onto the screen check all the connections on your intake.

Quick Reply: Descreening MAF