Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

budget mods for now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009 | 05:14 PM
MASS seller approved
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Like the guys above have mentioned, get your Throttle Body ported, its like $65. Also, look into a CAI from Fast Toys or Super Sucker $200. Lastly would be an underdrive pulley $200. After that there's not much else you can do except wrap it up with a dyno tune by your local speed shop.$450. I made a full bolt on list earlier this week that a lot of people on this site helped me with.

Engine
CAI ($200) [Fast Toys Ram Air]
Filter ($62) [K&N Air Filter]
Lid ($90) [Slp]
Maf ($176) [Slp]
Bellow ($62) [Slp]
Ported TB ($65) [Spartan Performance]
Intake Manifold ($450-$750) [LS6 or FAST]
Long Tubes/ Y-pipe ($500-$1350) [Pacesetter or American Racing]
Cat Back ($450-$1,000) [Magnaflow or Corsa]
Underdrive Pulley ($200) [ASP or Slp]
1.85 Rocker Arm Kit ($1,000) [Comp Cams or SLP]
Push Rods ($125) [Slp]
Electric Water Pump ($650) [Meziere]
Gears/ Install Kit ($375) [Slp]
160 Degree Thermostat ($54) [Slp]
Dyno Tune ($450) [Performance Shop]
Total = $4900-$6600

Chassis
Shocks ($400-$850) [AGX or Koni]
Springs ($240-$275) [Eibach or Strano]
Watts Link ($650) [Fayes2]
Strut Tower Brace ($125-$200) [Slp or BMR]
Lower Control Arms ($170) [BMR or Spohn]
LCA Relocation Brackets ($89) [UMI]
Sway Bar set ($439) [Strano]
Torque Arm ($275) [UMI]
3-Point Sub Frame Connectors ($300-$350) [Slp or UMI]
K-Member ($500) [BMR or Spohn]
A-Arms ($638) [UMI]
Total = $3800 - $4400

thats shitty for around 3 grand you can get a used 408 shortblock with stock top end will make just as much power

alot of those prices and "performance parts" are stupid as fuc!<
Old 04-28-2009 | 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which ones are "stupid as fuc"? Besides the maf and bellows?
Old 04-28-2009 | 05:24 PM
MASS seller approved
15 Year Member

cai,ported tb,rockers,pushrods,ewp,watts link,stb
Old 04-28-2009 | 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

My brother and I did some testing on a few performance parts, including descreening the maf, port and polished TB, CAI, and skinny wheels on the front, with back to back runs after each install. I think you might find it a little suprising. Check it out.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...ing_643805.htm
Old 04-28-2009 | 05:34 PM
MASS seller approved
15 Year Member

it says budget mods and you put 450 for an ls6 intake 1000$ rockers 650$ewp

the only budget mods left will be ud pulley, elec cutout, suspension and nitrous IMO
Old 04-28-2009 | 05:40 PM
MASS seller approved
15 Year Member

My brother and I did some testing on a few performance parts, including descreening the maf, port and polished TB, CAI, and skinny wheels on the front, with back to back runs after each install. I think you might find it a little suprising. Check it out.

WOW that sucked well i have a 200$ slp intake ill sell for 125 shipped if it does that much what a car and a half who wants a car and a half for 125$
Old 04-28-2009 | 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

a car and a half can be a tenth in the quarter.

cutout would be dumb on true duals unless you have hard caps for mufflers.
Old 04-28-2009 | 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
it says budget mods and you put 450 for an ls6 intake 1000$ rockers 650$ewp

the only budget mods left will be ud pulley, elec cutout, suspension and nitrous IMO
Everybody's Budget is different. I put up that list so he could see what is available and how much it costs. He didn't even know what a CAI was. LOL, anyone can argue back and forth as to what they think is a well worth it mod, I'm just giving him info to build on and research instead of taking every Tom, Dick, and Harry's advice on what is the "right" mods he should do.
Old 04-28-2009 | 07:00 PM
MASS seller approved
15 Year Member

Everybody's Budget is different. I put up that list so he could see what is available and how much it costs. He didn't even know what a CAI was. LOL, anyone can argue back and forth as to what they think is a well worth it mod, I'm just giving him info to build on and research instead of taking every Tom, Dick, and Harry's advice on what is the "right" mods he should do.

btw where you useing spare tires as skinny's?
Old 04-28-2009 | 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, my brother was convinced that skinnies did nothing for improving acceleration, So I bet him if I ran our spare tires in the front that my car would be faster, thats why we only did a run to about 65mph that time. I'm all for them now, I think I'm going to go with Bogart.
Old 04-29-2009 | 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like the guys above have mentioned, get your Throttle Body ported, its like $65. Also, look into a CAI from Fast Toys or Super Sucker $200. Lastly would be an underdrive pulley $200. After that there's not much else you can do except wrap it up with a dyno tune by your local speed shop.$450. I made a full bolt on list earlier this week that a lot of people on this site helped me with.

Engine
CAI ($200) [Fast Toys Ram Air]
Filter ($62) [K&N Air Filter]
Lid ($90) [Slp]
Maf ($176) [Slp]
Bellow ($62) [Slp]
Ported TB ($65) [Spartan Performance]
Intake Manifold ($450-$750) [LS6 or FAST]
Long Tubes/ Y-pipe ($500-$1350) [Pacesetter or American Racing]
Cat Back ($450-$1,000) [Magnaflow or Corsa]
Underdrive Pulley ($200) [ASP or Slp]
1.85 Rocker Arm Kit ($1,000) [Comp Cams or SLP]
Push Rods ($125) [Slp]
Electric Water Pump ($650) [Meziere]
Gears/ Install Kit ($375) [Slp]
160 Degree Thermostat ($54) [Slp]
Dyno Tune ($450) [Performance Shop]
Total = $4900-$6600

Chassis
Shocks ($400-$850) [AGX or Koni]
Springs ($240-$275) [Eibach or Strano]
Watts Link ($650) [Fayes2]
Strut Tower Brace ($125-$200) [Slp or BMR]
Lower Control Arms ($170) [BMR or Spohn]
LCA Relocation Brackets ($89) [UMI]
Sway Bar set ($439) [Strano]
Torque Arm ($275) [UMI]
3-Point Sub Frame Connectors ($300-$350) [Slp or UMI]
K-Member ($500) [BMR or Spohn]
A-Arms ($638) [UMI]
Total = $3800 - $4400
THe bolded items are not need and in some cases actually hurt performance. CAI have been debated back and forth they lids flow just fine, I have had two cars make over 500hp with a SLP lid. K&N filters have been shown in many threads not to flow any better than paper and if over oiled can gum up the maf, they also dont filter as good. Leave the Fing MAF alone!! The stock one will support up to 500hp no need to change it if you arent there yet.. Below=crap!. Rocker arms way too much money for the gains and if you ever go to an aftermarket cam you are going to have to switch back to 1.7's anyways!!! Electric water pumps are nice and there are gains to be had but for the money you could also get a full nitrous set up.. 160 thermostat isnt going to offer any gains and ca lead to increased carbon build up because the engine wont get into its proper operating temps. Strut tower braces in these cars are useless call strano if you dont believe me. K members and A-arms are great for autocrossing but should be some of the last things you change out on your car after EVERYTHING else is aftermarket.
Old 04-29-2009 | 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That has to be some of the worst testing conditions for mods. First you gusy race two different cars with two different mods, different sized people in the cars, and two different drivers. You then take stock parts off his car and switch them with modified parts from your car. You when you guys did your first race you had a P&P TB the maf, and the others, you then put stock parts back on your car. To make your test even a bit more realistic you would have to had left your car alone exactly the way you raced him the first time and then changed parts out on his car. DYNO runs would be the best way to prove gains..
Old 04-29-2009 | 10:41 AM
T.A.WS6

slp cold air works good , id get that
Old 04-29-2009 | 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
That has to be some of the worst testing conditions for mods. First you gusy race two different cars with two different mods, different sized people in the cars, and two different drivers. You then take stock parts off his car and switch them with modified parts from your car. You when you guys did your first race you had a P&P TB the maf, and the others, you then put stock parts back on your car. To make your test even a bit more realistic you would have to had left your car alone exactly the way you raced him the first time and then changed parts out on his car. DYNO runs would be the best way to prove gains..
It doesn't matter if the cars were different or the same. The testing shows a difference in what the mods do for your acceleration. Even if one of the cars was a Corvette, or a Civic, as we did each mod, you would still see how much you would gain or lose by how much distance was put comparatively. They don't have to be the exact same car to see what difference it can make in your acceleration, LOL.

Second, what does the different drivers have to do with anything? As long as we were consistant in our driving/ shifting, all variables would stay the same, except for the different mods which was the only variable we wanted to change in order to see differences in acceleration.

Third, we did not switch parts for the CAI or putting skinnies on the front which was our two main focuses. We just threw in switching mafs and throttle bodies because the majority of people were saying that if you descreened the maf/ ported your throttle body or even if you didn't, there wouldn't be any noticable gains at all. Well, from the video you can see that those two mods can affect your acceleration, whether it be positive or negative.

Finally, I know we could have got on a dyno and done some pulls to see gains/ losses, but what would that translate to on the road? I know I see that this such and such mod makes such and such more hp, but those numbers on a computer screen don't really translate to a lot of people to what it will actually do to their car's acceleration. Thats why I wanted to run a test like this one. Optimally, like you said, I would have liked not to have to switch mods because it skewed accuracy on the data for the maf and TB, but ultimately it showed a difference which is something not many expected. The majority I've talked to on this site have said because we "switched" parts, instead of adding them, the gains would be roughly half of what you saw on the video. So the actual gain of the descreened maf would have been about 3/4 of a car rather than a car and a half if we would have started out being both screened and then descreened one car. And then the same for the TB, both starting with stock, and then adding the ported TB to the test car, about 3/4 of a car, rather than a car and a half.

I can't convince anyone on what to think, that wasn't my goal. All I can do is present the data I've collected and try to answer any questions to clear up discrepancies.

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 04-29-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2009 | 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Blue knight my point is that you in theory doubled the gains seen by descreen the maf and the tb by switching them. Your car had them for the trial run so in the baseline your car was slow with the modified parts. Not only did you put modified part on the already faster car you in doing so slowed down your car as well with stock parts making the difference greater. To make your test more accurate you would have had to leave you car the exact way it was run in the first race in order to see the true difference in performance. Fair enough I though the video was pretty cool over all..
Old 04-29-2009 | 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man.
Old 04-29-2009 | 04:50 PM
MASS seller approved
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Blue knight my point is that you in theory doubled the gains seen by descreen the maf and the tb by switching them. Your car had them for the trial run so in the baseline your car was slow with the modified parts. Not only did you put modified part on the already faster car you in doing so slowed down your car as well with stock parts making the difference greater. To make your test more accurate you would have had to leave you car the exact way it was run in the first race in order to see the true difference in performance. Fair enough I though the video was pretty cool over all..

not me i think that video sucked
Old 04-29-2009 | 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

ok lol well imma have bout 600 bux to spend. not much but i wanna get something. what would be a good investment?
Old 04-29-2009 | 05:54 PM
MASS seller approved
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98chevyz71
ok lol well imma have bout 600 bux to spend. not much but i wanna get something. what would be a good investment?
ud pulley for 200 ish and a tune for around 4 hopefully
Old 04-29-2009 | 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Pulley and gears.