Sponsored by:

C5 or Camaro? Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revo1
Wrong.
I agree, I could have bought a corvette. I didn't want to for lack of room, I actually do use the rear seats in my camaro quite often, believe it or not. Plus, much like the arguments being made in this thread, it saves money to put into the car later on.

To the OP, either would be excellent choices to start with. As said, the corvette provides a better suspension to build off from, but there are many parts out there to help the camaro's suspension. If it's always been your dream to own a corvette, then I wouldn't compromise on that. The last couple posts made some good points though. Will you be coming to the U.S. to buy it then ship it back or trying to find one in Germany? If you come to the U.S. you could find one that has a lot done to it already. With the unfortunate circumstances of our economy, as well as much of the world economy, many people are selling their beloved toys. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Teching In

I'd have both if I could. The Camaro is much more practical though, and you can make it much faster for a lot less money.

The Corvette is perfection. It's gorgeous and fast and luxurious and gets good mpg for all of that. Actually, the only thing that the Camaro lacks is the level of luxury (and it's a bit slower), but both of those things could be easily fixed..
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Teching In

You all mentioned some good points to think of.

Sorry I can't tell you why, but I don't like the look of those WS6

And most important: Of course I'll buy a car in the US. For you it must be unbelievable but lets compare between the US and European market:

Euro/Dollar is 1,42 today, i'll convert everything to dollar and miles so you get a better impression:

A 99 C5 with about 60k miles, some scraches, worn out tires, and dents costs about 27.000 Dollar here.
Last Friday i test drove a clean and well kept C6 with 40k miles - the seller asked 55.000 Dollars
My Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 LPG has about 140k miles and did cost me 7000 Dollar.

So do the math: A clean 02 Vette C5 with about 40k miles costs at autotrader 18000 Dollar- divided by 1,4 makes about 12700 Euro. Plus tax and shipping its less than 16.000 Euro. The same car would cost at least (!!) 5.000 Euros more in germany
So even if I take a flight to look at some cars its a lot cheaper to look in the US

There are some more points to mention (shipping, taxes) but I don't want to make it more complicated.

I'm happy to get so many answers in my first topic, thanks !

Tim

Last edited by Tim Taylor; 07-22-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tim Taylor
I see, i have to put some more money aside than i initially planned. First I thought of spending 15k, then i raised it to 20 and now I'll try to safe 25 until next year. Puh my girlfriend better doesn't read this

@ADM
If the Vette (or whatever it will be) runs strong enough I'll visit some 1/4mile events and I try run some nice 11's. Why are you asking?

Tim
I meant circuit racing.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

You all mentioned some good points to think of.

Sorry I can't tell you why, but I don't like the look of those WS6

And most important: Of course I'll buy a car in the US. For you it must be unbelievable but lets compare between the US and European market:

Euro/Dollar is 1,42 today, i'll convert everything to dollar and miles so you get a better impression:

A 99 C5 with about 60k miles, some scraches, worn out tires, and dents costs about 27.000 Dollar here.
Last Friday i test drove a clean and well kept C6 with 40k miles - the seller asked 55.000 Dollars
My Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 LPG has about 140k miles and did cost me 7000 Dollar.

So do the math: A clean 02 Vette C5 with about 40k miles costs at autotrader 18000 Dollar- divided by 1,4 makes about 12700 Euro. Plus tax and shipping its less than 16.000 Euro. The same car would cost at least (!!) 5.000 Euros more in germany
So even if I take a flight to look at some cars its a lot cheaper to look in the US

There are some more points to mention (shipping, taxes) but I don't want to make it more complicated.

I'm happy to get so many answers in my first topic, thanks !

Tim
When you buy groceries in germany is the vat like 20%? Is this also applied to cars over there?

and finally would you have to pay vat or some sort of other tax on the car if you ship it over to germany to register it and such?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ADM
Ask any Camaro owner. If they could afford a Corvette, they would not be driving a Camaro
i sold my 99 vette in 2002 to buy 02 Conv Camaro
Long Life F body
Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had both a C5 and F-Body... Honestly, the Corvette gets more looks and attention, handles better, not any faster, but is bottom line "more common" than a Firehawk or SLP Camaro SS anyday. Do you feel like paying the "corvette tax" on all replacement parts? Do you need a back seat? All factors to consider when comparing the two... You can see in my signature which car I prefer

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Teching In

ADM, no I won't do that

Originally Posted by 00fastta
When you buy groceries in germany is the vat like 20%? Is this also applied to cars over there?

and finally would you have to pay vat or some sort of other tax on the car if you ship it over to germany to register it and such?
VAT on groceries are 7%
For cars clothing etc. 19%

Tax for car import is about 5%

But because i'm going to use the car for "commercial purposes" I don't have to pay the 19% VAT. It will be my companies "showcar"

Camaros and TA are really uncommon in germany so in case i have to sell it, that will be difficult and perhaps i'll loose some money.

I think the Corvette will sell a lot better and with profit but hasn't any backseat

There are so many cars in the for sale section which look great and perform even better. At the end of this year i count my money and will make a decision. I'm still pending between
- A clean Vette with max 50k miles (we'll mod it later)
- A modded Camaro perhaps with H/C
Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ADM
Ask any Camaro owner. If they could afford a Corvette, they would not be driving a Camaro
False. I test drove 3 C5s...one of which was a Z06 and I bought an 01 SS instead.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ADM
Haha, I agree, I love Camaros because its right up my college financial alley. If you've got the money go for it! Either way you will have a whole new and jaded automotive lifestyle.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

how big are you? I looked at prob. 10 vettes but was not comfortable at 6'6" felt much better in Camaro
Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Teching In

I'm not that tall and the C6 i drove with was perfect for me

What do you say, is this a nice offer? :
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=258330091
(By the way, is it allowed to post autotrader links?)

Would be great to hear your opinion about that car!

Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Hi I'm from Holland here and I have a Z28 Camaro with some mods yes MTI lid and yes proper catback thanks to the forum.

I dunno if you are into cycling at all, but my ATB fits right in the back of this car,with seats down,think this is impossible with a vette.(Can fit two bikes but have to take the front wheels out then)Anyway if you hate cycling that is not an issue.

For me still reason to keep the camaro,because there is nothing else around that can do the same.

Then again on the autobahn I would doubt to play with the 'big' guys; its more then fast enough.
You lose all those idiots in their Audi diesel ,that think they have a change ,in no time.
That's fine, but braking at high speeds is a bit vague to say the least,I know braking is bad for the speed.

I still love it and would not trade in for a two seater,because indeed the back seat is very usefull for short trips, with more then two persons.

If you don't need that, buy the vette!

Anyway, my 2€ cents.

Martin.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

I prefer my 02 firehawk over a vette any day. I have only seen one other firehawk on the road before, vettes are a dime a dozen. Sure a vette will have a nicer interior, but that rare factor of the hawk gets heads a turnin'.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok thanks.
Perhaps I'll try to get a nice (non Z06) and Procharge it later...

I will let you know what I've chosen at the end of this year!

Thanks

Tim
My buddy just picked up a procharged C5, with very low miles, convertible, for 25 canadian....

He was actually debating between that and a Z06 until the test drive.

Also, you haven't mentioned the LS1 WS6's.... I would never have picked a C5 over that car just because it's so mean looking.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

ich glaube ein camaro, ein sehr gutes auto...
Old 07-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ericburt
ich glaube ein camaro, ein sehr gutes auto...
Yah...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

If you can't get a C5 Z06 I honestly would rather just get an F-body (Camaro, Trans Am).

From what I hear the normal C5 just isn't really worth the cost for what you're getting. Yeah it's going to look nice but it's no comparison to the Z06.

For what you seem to be looking for I would go with the F-Body for sure. Unless like I said you can come up with some extra cash and get a Z06.

Anyways goodluck.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADM
No sir. Not at all. Former Corvette owner here and we have 5 modded and clean Camaros at the house.

A lot of Corvette owners here in the U.S. are absolute tool bags and I don't want to associate with them.

I'm a jerk too, but I don't want to advertise it.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats the difference between a cactus and a corvette?

with a cactus, the ****** are on the outside. lol

camaro is kinda like a "poor mans" corvette. its much cheaper to buy and cheaper to modify. for the amount of money you'll save with a camaro you'll be able to modify it and beat most corvettes you come across on the street

Quick Reply: C5 or Camaro? Need some advice