Sponsored by:

C5 or Camaro? Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C5 or Camaro? Need some advice

Hello,
first I'll introduce myself: My name is Tim and I'm from germany (So please excuse my english), I'm 25 years old and own a (what you would call) speedshop here. We are doing mainly cylinderheads/cam combos for european cars and recently started cnc porting.

After we did a few years of quatermile racing (Mustang first then started to build a 25.1.e car) we now decided to sell everything and go a different route - Street cars for hobby

Now I'd like to buy a LSX car and can't decide between a C5 Corvette or a LS powered Z28 or SS Camaro.
Last weekend I had the chance to take a closer look at both cars (the Camaro was a 6cyl) and am still confused:

In comparison to a C5 the Camaro has 4 seats and is much cheaper but will also sell for less than a Corvette. I would be able to take my girlfriend and our dog with me
What about chassis and suspension? I'm not a top speed racer but as you know we have the famous autobahn without speed limit and I would be dissappointed after buying a camaro which can't be driven fast due to suspension issues.
- Why does the speedo of the Camaro end at 150mph as it should have the same engine/trans as the corvette (200 speedo)?

What I'm after is a really strong running car with about 450 rwhp which beats nearly everthing around. It should be able to run 170 mph without issues. I want to use it for the weekends only but need a smooth idle (police )
Should I search for a stock C5 and build it from there? Or should I take one of the many modded Camaros for less money? I know the Camaros are underrated but do they really hold up to a Corvette?

I know these are a lot of questions/thoughts and many of them could be answered based on your own opinon - but I would like to read different thoughts.

Thanks !

Tim
Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

The Camaro is a unabody car. The Corvette has IRS. Either would be great to build. Also the rearend in the Camaro is very weak!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:54 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Ask any Camaro owner. If they could afford a Corvette, they would not be driving a Camaro
Old 07-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your answers! Well does that mean a 450rwhp corvette doesn't need any rear end work compared to the Camaro?

Originally Posted by ADM
Ask any Camaro owner. If they could afford a Corvette, they would not be driving a Camaro
I'm asking myself why? Is this only because of the vettes appearance? Or because the vettes just drive better and are faster?
The Corvette looks better in my eyes, but if this is the only real difference and Camaros perform equal I have to ask myself if its worth to spend the extra $.

After I sold some stuff, I will be able to spend about 20k. Perhaps this helps

Tim
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tim Taylor
Thanks for your answers! Well does that mean a 450rwhp corvette doesn't need any rear end work compared to the Camaro?

I'm asking myself why? Is this only because of the vettes appearance? Or because the vettes just drive better and are faster?
The Corvette looks better in my eyes, but if this is the only real difference and Camaros perform equal I have to ask myself if its worth to spend the extra $.

Tim
A Camaro will never handle like a Corvette. The Corvette is in a league of its own. The Corvette is built a bit differently, although same engine.

If you can get a C5 Z06, you have yourself a fun track car. 450rwhp is not very difficult in LS engines, but you will have a handful when its raining. Please put that in mind.

Get a Corvette, you will not regret it, ever.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim
The corvette will handle better than the camaro, has a better interior, looks better (not that I don't like my camaro). The camaro with a ls1 and t56- 6 speed can go just as fast as the corvette, I've had my Z at 155+ in 5th gear so 6th had not been used. If you need the room for the wife and dog I would go with the camaro, spend the $$$ saved from the vette and spend it on the camaro.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought driving American in Europe was taboo?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Perhaps you are right but I don't care ... Most germans think of thirsty and heavy cars if they hear about US Cars
I've driven a lot of cars like BMW M3 or Porsche GT3 but hate the need for high revs and their limiting electronics.
My DD is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and everytime I have to switch to my girlfriend's VW I feel the car has a broken engine
Furthermore me and my family ever drove V8 powered cars and my dad owns a 77's C3. Thats another benefit for the vette - Me and my dad could visit the Corvette meetings together
Is it cheaper to take a Z06 than to mod a standart C5 to get the same power? Again my budget is about 20k and i'm not sure if this is enough for a nice and clean Z06 Vette .

Thanks a lot!

Tim
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Perhaps you are right but I don't care ... Most germans think of thirsty and heavy cars if they hear about US Cars
I've driven a lot of cars like BMW M3 or Porsche GT3 but hate the need for high revs and their limiting electronics.
My DD is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and everytime I have to switch to my girlfriend's VW I feel the car has a broken engine
Furthermore me and my family ever drove V8 powered cars and my dad owns a 77's C3. Thats another benefit for the vette - Me and my dad could visit the Corvette meetings together
Is it cheaper to take a Z06 than to mod a standart C5 to get the same power? Again my budget is about 20k and i'm not sure if this is enough for a nice and clean Z06 Vette .

Thanks a lot!

Tim
Your right there. $20k isn't really enough for a nice clean C5Z. However stretch your budget just a couple thousand and you could afford it. Just look around for the deal. Also, the difference between the Z06 and C6 isn't just about the LS6 vs. LS1. Its all about the suspension and handling. The Z06 is made to drive on rails and it does so very well. You could definitely make the C5 have the same power as the C5Z but it would be tough to get it to handle as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Tim, do you wanna track the Vette?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Your right there. $20k isn't really enough for a nice clean C5Z. However stretch your budget just a couple thousand and you could afford it. Just look around for the deal. Also, the difference between the Z06 and C6 isn't just about the LS6 vs. LS1. Its all about the suspension and handling. The Z06 is made to drive on rails and it does so very well. You could definitely make the C5 have the same power as the C5Z but it would be tough to get it to handle as well.
I see, i have to put some more money aside than i initially planned. First I thought of spending 15k, then i raised it to 20 and now I'll try to safe 25 until next year. Puh my girlfriend better doesn't read this

@ADM
If the Vette (or whatever it will be) runs strong enough I'll visit some 1/4mile events and I try run some nice 11's. Why are you asking?

Tim
Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

If you plan to mod it, don't bother starting with a Z06 over a standard C5. The extra cost most likely is not justified

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks.
Perhaps I'll try to get a nice (non Z06) and Procharge it later...

I will let you know what I've chosen at the end of this year!

Thanks

Tim
Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 AM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ADM
Wrong.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5 Z06 is what I would get if I had the money. You get handling, a lighter track car, and come on its a vette.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Man your a cool German i thought most all Germans hated american cars! I will be the odd ball here i would say with 20k you could have a camaro that almost handles like a vette and has more/same power. You can get the camaro for a lot cheaper then the vette and the extra money could be used for suspension. 450 rwhp is very easily atainable in an lsx so if 450 is your goal that means you have a lot more money to through towards suspension and handleing stuff. But its all personel preference witch do you like more? Its not true witch is stated earlier that any camaro owner would rather have a corvette. I would rather have my trans am any day unless it was a zr1 Good luck welcome to the site and keep us updated on your build witch ever you decide!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DCsLS1
Man your a cool German i thought most all Germans hated american cars! I will be the odd ball here i would say with 20k you could have a camaro that almost handles like a vette and has more/same power. You can get the camaro for a lot cheaper then the vette and the extra money could be used for suspension. 450 rwhp is very easily atainable in an lsx so if 450 is your goal that means you have a lot more money to through towards suspension and handleing stuff. But its all personel preference witch do you like more? Its not true witch is stated earlier that any camaro owner would rather have a corvette. I would rather have my trans am any day unless it was a zr1 Good luck welcome to the site and keep us updated on your build witch ever you decide!
My goal would be to have as much power as I could afford... BUT if the car's suspension/chassis can't handle that it would be worthless right? That's why I asked about the Camaros handling
And with a combination of C5 with Procharger it seems to be a good compromise between handling and power. And even if there are some $ missing I could install the supercharger later on and get a low milage C5 first

It has ever been a dream for me to own a Corvette or Viper but I have to look at my budget. And because I have to work hard for my money the right decision is pretty important. I decided to buy a car at the end of this year before marriage and children need attention (and money )

The attached image shows the engine which will be sold to finance the car. 598cui 984 dyno horses N/A . Second is the chassis we've build over the last two years-- you see I'm really into american cars and powerplants

Thanks for your comment!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails C5 or Camaro? Need some advice-dscf2937.jpg   C5 or Camaro? Need some advice-11062009-007-.jpg  
Old 07-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Launching!

a vette with simple bolt ons would be a beast.

if your more worried about performance with little extra work, the vette is your best bet.

I however vote for camaro/firebird. they have back seats for your dog, with the money you save vs buying a vette you should get it fast enough for your needs.

check out the vehicles for sale on here. there is a vet making 730 hp for 37k, 2003 Z06 Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition 461 for $27k. 2000 trans am making 411 rwhp less than 1000 miles on the motor $13k

good luck
Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

There is one problem I see with this. Where you going to buy the car...in the U.S. or in Europe. It will be a bit more expensive either way because of increased tax in Europe or you have to ship it on a boat and that will cost at least $2000. But good luck getting the c5 if you can find a nice deal for it.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

How do you like the looks of a WS6 Trans Am, personally I prefer the look of them to the camaro. I say eitehr way you go you will be happy and unique. Good luck on finding a car.

Quick Reply: C5 or Camaro? Need some advice