Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"You owe me a 10 second car"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "You owe me a 10 second car"

Sup, I'm still a newbie. Was hoping you could help me settle something between myself and a CLUB of dumb *** ricers. See they keep telling me that they're little FWD Hondas, Mitsubishis, and VWs would get to 10sec before my '01 A4 Camaro SS would. Granted I'm strapped for cash, but this is what I've got going so far.

GMMG Exhast (installed)
K&N Air Filter (installed but switching to Green soon)

Pending Funds
Super Sucker Ram Air
MTI Carbon Fiber Air Lid
Green High Performance Air Filter
Smooth Bellows
Ported MAF Ends
Z06 Pace MAF
Ported Throttle Body
TR55 NGK Spark Plugs
Thundervolt Wires
FLP Header Package
Cut Outs, not sure if 1 or 2 depends what fits with the FLP
ASP Undercrank Pulley
17x9.5 Chrome ZR1 with 275/40/17 F1s
Strut Tower Brace
Subframe Connectors
Drive Shaft Safety Loop
Hypertech 160 Powerstat
Manual Fan Switch
High Capacity Radiator
Tranny Cooler
LS1 Edit
Torque Converter (I was told better time, loss of HP?)

I've been told that I may not need some of these, but overall should at least make it into low 12s high 11s. I've nevered dynoed and never raced...yet. Your opinions would be appreciated. Help me figure out how to take this CLUB's money going all throttle no bottle.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need for a high flow muffler if you're going to have a cuttout. One cuttout in the Y-pipe is fine so long as it and everything leading up to it is big enough.

Your K&N is fine. There's nothing to gain by changing it.

You don't need ported ends (might throw off your fuel/air ratio anyway) if you're going to go to an 85mm MAF.

There's no power to be gained by changing the plug wires...although the stock ones suck. Why? Because the one coil per cylinder more than make up for the crappy wires.

You'll want some slicks, not F1s, for running 10s.

A strut tower brace is good for...well, weighting down your front end, in a drag race that is.

A high capacity radiator is also good for weighting down your front end. The stock one has been proven into the 8s.

Converter...ahh yes! The TQ converter! This is something you should spend a great amount of time learning about. It is the single most important part of the puzzle.

You should also spend time learning about weight reduction and heads/cam packages since you're determined to do this NA.

Read lots. Learn lots.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2003, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats the quickest way to beat em. free up your intake and put some headers on it. dropp a decent rear end on it an juce the hell out of it.... yeah i know the bottle is a cheap trick and you can **** things up quick but if you think about it the money youll save on mods that dont help a short term goal would be more than enough for a new engine.....
oh that and remember to quote a shitty movie that always helps

ok if i may take a seckond here and i promice im not trying to flame you here... look at your present mods on your sig.... you did the typical 'just turned 16 mommy and daddy just go me this car so lets put clear tail lights and corner markers on it and tint the windows and trow usless crap on it oh yeah and lets put a k&n filter in it and an exaust on it to look hard core for the gear heads at school'

fastest cars i have ever seen looked totaly stock from the outside. not saying the stuff you did to your car is bad. its just you instently become a target when your car is more show than go.

the smartest thing for you to do right now is find a cast iron 6.0 truck block. then get a stroker kit 427 or 409. than some decent heads..... see where im going with this? you build up and engine that is ***** to the wall take no **** from any one. then you dropp it in trailer it to a dino tuning shop get an extra pcm and get it tuned to the specs of your new engine.

now if you ever blow that engine you will still have the stock one with a stock pcm... direct plugg and play.

ive seen may people roily screw them selfs over by trying to get the low times too soon.

just a friendly suggestion from some one whos been there before
Old 11-18-2003, 01:33 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

stop haning around those guys, there stupidity might run off on you. you have about 3.5 seconds to knock off to get into the 10's, they have 6-7 seconds to make up. do a little math . it'll be cheaper for you to get there also.

like coloniel said, READ. knowledge is the SINGLE best mod out there and its free.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gettum, might as well see where you stand. IMO headers, a verter, gears and tires... and call it a day for now.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

A verter and some STICKY tires + some N2o will get you there
Old 11-18-2003, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

10s NA with 346 CI aren't something you just slap a few cool parts together and get. Ya' better eatcha' Wheaties! (READ & LEARN!)
Old 11-18-2003, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cudaeh
thats the quickest way to beat em. free up your intake and put some headers on it. dropp a decent rear end on it an juce the hell out of it.... yeah i know the bottle is a cheap trick and you can **** things up quick but if you think about it the money youll save on mods that dont help a short term goal would be more than enough for a new engine.....
oh that and remember to quote a shitty movie that always helps

ok if i may take a seckond here and i promice im not trying to flame you here... look at your present mods on your sig.... you did the typical 'just turned 16 mommy and daddy just go me this car so lets put clear tail lights and corner markers on it and tint the windows and trow usless crap on it oh yeah and lets put a k&n filter in it and an exaust on it to look hard core for the gear heads at school'

fastest cars i have ever seen looked totaly stock from the outside. not saying the stuff you did to your car is bad. its just you instently become a target when your car is more show than go.
just a friendly suggestion from some one whos been there before

None taken, however I proud of the fact that: 1. I'm not 16yo. but 23. 2. Parents did not buy, this is all one me, heh . I totally understand, just that to me versus these dumba$$es my car is more go than show BONE STOCK than these losers.
I appreciate all your feedbacks people, the only thing that I've got to keep in mind is that I've got this car under warranty and I've got most but not all of these mods approved. The TQ converter is a big emphatic NO from the dealership. Um sad to say, I've got like absolute 0 mechanical skill, only cosmetic hence the appearance mods :sad: But I'm steadily learning. I realize this is a BIG project that'll be years in the making, but if I can break 12s legally, it'll be enuff for me. Sides, won't I need a roll cage for anything lower? Keep the feedback comming!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Im with the Colonel, Its Very had to get into the 10s NA. It takes time but stick with one of the sponsers and they will take care of you. And be ready to spend some time and money. But it can happen.

http://www.motorsporttech.com/ and http://www.lgmotorsports.com/ have been very helpfull on my quest for a 10s NA pass. Hopefully this winter Ill finally have one.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:07 AM
Teching In

You know what the great thing about this is? Reliability. Sure they might be able to run 10's in a Civic. But ask them if they can make it a dailt driver. Ask them if they are still smog legal (not paying someone to say its legal.) There is the chick factor, chicks dig big things, motors, trucks, you get my drift. Plus we don't have to sound like we threw a glasspack on our riding mowers every where we go. So let them have their fun. Because not only are they gonna have to build a turbo engine that is not legal but they will never look as cool doing it as us muscle car men (anything less is boy territory). Oh yeah one other thing. All the tuning tricks they use on their cars were invented by the muscle car guys, even NOS.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Launching!

200 shot + converter + slicks = goal.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

It would take more money and more time to make something with a 4cyl get in the 10's than your camaro. There are cam only cars that are into the 10's, although those vehicles have had massive weight reduction.

You should be slapping around the rice boys as a stock car right now.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also going to need lots of practice racing your car. It's not as simple as just pushing the gas pedal to get good times.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FenixSS
None taken, however I proud of the fact that: 1. I'm not 16yo. but 23. 2. Parents did not buy, this is all one me, heh . I totally understand, just that to me versus these dumba$$es my car is more go than show BONE STOCK than these losers.
I appreciate all your feedbacks people, the only thing that I've got to keep in mind is that I've got this car under warranty and I've got most but not all of these mods approved. The TQ converter is a big emphatic NO from the dealership. Um sad to say, I've got like absolute 0 mechanical skill, only cosmetic hence the appearance mods :sad: But I'm steadily learning. I realize this is a BIG project that'll be years in the making, but if I can break 12s legally, it'll be enuff for me. Sides, won't I need a roll cage for anything lower? Keep the feedback comming!
ok man i dident know where you were comming from... my main thing with a warrenty car is removable up grades. do little stuff but make it sneeky and keep your old parts.... ex n2o in the upgraded intake lid, converter but learn how to put it in and take it out... really not that involved of a process... toughest part is sepperating the tranny from the engine.
that way if any thing f's up you can just push the car home take all the perfomance stuff off and slapp the stock stuff back on..
sorry i dident mean to insinuate that your car isnt totaly funded by you i was just trying to convay the stario type surrounding looks before speed. no offence ment. learn have fun enjoy and try to do as much of your upgrades your self... too many people just let shops do it sad really... oh hey and if you pay for the plane ticket im shure youll have more than enough help
Old 11-18-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why no bottle?

fact is the bottle is the easiest way to 10s..they're probably scared that u would use it.

torque converter + slicks..good ets.

umm i don't assume those clowns even go to the TRack, like EVER.

u should go with them one time next season, so they run their cars and they can face rEALITY>
Old 11-18-2003, 01:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

10s? Easy. Slicks, headers, lid, converter, nitrous. 10s all day long.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

He said NA. So, the list get's long.

12? Easy as pie. 11s? No major problem. 10s NA? Gonna take some hard work and $$$.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will run deep 11's with all those mods assuming a good converter and tires
Old 11-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Totally take them to the track. To be quite honest chances are that you will find some pretty fast cars there that can spank them around more than you can. If your lucky you might even find a couple of the fast import guys down there so that those ricer boys of yours can see what a fast 10 or 11 sec import looks like.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

10and 11 impot cars look like you would never be able to drive them on the road. unless its a WRX