Sponsored by:

Question on Ls2 motor and trans from vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Ls2 motor and trans from vette

Hi,

Are 07 vette transmissions mounted in the rear of the car?

I talked to a guy over the phone that wrecked his 07 vette with ls2 and 6 speed in it. He is sending me pics tonight, but he said I can't use the transmission cause it is was bolted in the back of the car. He said that you can only use the trans if your are putting it into a vette again. I have no clue what he is talking about, maybe he doesn't either. Just figured I would double check with you guys. Maybe he is confusing the trans with something else. Sorry for the dumb question.. haha
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea the trans is mounted to the dif in the rear. I believe you can use the motor just fine though, just have to get a t56
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cyris0014
Yea the trans is mounted to the dif in the rear. I believe you can use the motor just fine though, just have to get a t56
Wow thanks, I had no clue. I'm going to try an get the motor still. Is there anything special I have to do then to bolt up a normal t-56?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe some ls2s that came in goats have a 54 tooth reluctor wheel but you need a 24 bit, they make conversion kits but idk about ls2 vette motors. im not 100% sure so if someone with more experience can chime in it would prob help more. But besides the harness and conversion kit i think thats it, should bolt right up. Are you keeping it a 6.0 or gonna make it a 408?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cyris0014
i believe some ls2s that came in goats have a 54 tooth reluctor wheel but you need a 24 bit, they make conversion kits but idk about ls2 vette motors. im not 100% sure so if someone with more experience can chime in it would prob help more. But besides the harness and conversion kit i think thats it, should bolt right up. Are you keeping it a 6.0 or gonna make it a 408?
you are right, you would either need to run the conversion kit or a newer style e38 pcm. The conversion kit would cost less in the end, thats your best
option. you will also have knock sensors on sides of block instead of iin the valley cover, and a front cam sensor. you will have to make provisions for all of this into your harness. you can pick up the coversion kit from lingenfelter, or i think mast motorsports...maybe wrong. good luck.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:35 AM
Teching In

The c5 and c6 use a transaxle its odd looking.Yeah get a t56 from a ls1 it should bolt right on with the right flywheel.