New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes arp head bolts better than gm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009 | 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

Default What makes arp head bolts better than gm?

I am wondering why everyone suggests using arp head bolts over gm bolts? Can you reuse arp bolts? I am just replacing lifters on a stock motor do i really need them or can i get away with the gm replacements
Old 08-11-2009 | 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

GM bolts are torque to yield bolts... They streach and are one time use. ARP gives you a torque spec and they can be reused as much as you want. There's nothing wrong with gm's bolts but if you pull the heads ever again you'll be buying another set.
Old 08-11-2009 | 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

not to mention arp's bolts are stronger and built to higher quality specs
Old 08-11-2009 | 07:55 AM
Internet Mechanic

ARP are a completely different type of fastener, like said, GM is Torque to Yield which is fine on a stock motor, as they are made to stretch. ARP are completely resuseable and I have used them for years on my LT1 car.

Makes sure the threat holes in block are COMPLETELY clean, blown out with NOTHING IN THEM. If there is even coolant, you will crack the block.
Old 08-11-2009 | 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.arp-bolts.com/index.html

ARP makes, in my openion, the finest fasteners available. They use stonger alloys, more precise tollerances, and more attention to detail. The only beef I have had was a set of chrome headder bolts that I couldn't keep tight on my old Dart Iron Eagle heads. I will not use chrome for headder bolts again without a retention system. My buddy actually drilled holes through the heads of his and strung them with aircraft safety wire. The steel was so hard he had to buy specialty drill bits.
Old 08-12-2009 | 02:21 AM
Staging Lane

Great guys thanks for the fast response! For now I will go back with gm bolts as cash is tight.
Old 08-13-2009 | 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

right, right! too bad a set of ARPs are so pricey. Theyre the best bang for your buck though if youre a guy who likes to make constant changes to your setup or have a nonstock motor. Bottom line they stronger and more durable
Old 08-14-2009 | 07:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ParkerTPIz
right, right! too bad a set of ARPs are so pricey. Theyre the best bang for your buck though if youre a guy who likes to make constant changes to your setup or have a nonstock motor. Bottom line they stronger and more durable
When it comes to a $30,000 motor, a few hundred bucks in fasteners are not considered an expensise. It's called an insurance policy.

Old 08-14-2009 | 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
When it comes to a $30,000 motor, a few hundred bucks in fasteners are not considered an expensise. It's called an insurance policy.

agreed

Quick Reply: What makes arp head bolts better than gm?