New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 sensor going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009 | 03:35 PM
Launching!

Default 02 sensor going bad?

My car at a dead stand still will studder then go. I had a buddy come over today who has been around these cars for a long time, and he said it feels like my 02 sensor is going bad. It also shakes a little when you are sitting dead still. Please help TIA
Old 08-15-2009 | 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Are you throwing any codes? 02 sensors do go bad occasionally so that should be something to look at.
Old 08-15-2009 | 08:33 PM
Launching!

I guess I need to write the codes down and look them up. I am throwing 5 codes at the moment.
Old 08-15-2009 | 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

No offense, but it sounds to me like your buddy doesn't know how an O2 sensor works.

You're really not going to "feel" an O2 sensor going bad. O2 sensors measure the amount of oxygen content in the exhaust and report it back to the PCM, which will adjust the A/F ratio in both short term and long term trim to compensate. If the O2 reads lean, the computer will richen the mixture so the O2 goes rich, then it will lean the mixture to compensate and the O2 will go back to lean. It does this many times per second, which basically gives it an average of the A/F ratio. These measurments determine the short term fuel trims, and then the long term fuel trims are based on those numbers.

If the O2 hangs at rich or hangs at lean when the computer commands one or the other, it will set a code and typically stay in open loop, since it can't trust the O2 for accurate readings. So if you have a code for an O2 sensor malfunction, chances are the car is staying in open loop, meaning it should be driving just fine except for decreased fuel economy. Its unlikely that a failed O2 sensor would result in the car stuttering on a start, sounds like another issue. Pull the codes and let us know what you come up with.
Old 08-16-2009 | 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

mass air working? vac leak?
Old 08-20-2009 | 10:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
No offense, but it sounds to me like your buddy doesn't know how an O2 sensor works.

You're really not going to "feel" an O2 sensor going bad. O2 sensors measure the amount of oxygen content in the exhaust and report it back to the PCM, which will adjust the A/F ratio in both short term and long term trim to compensate. If the O2 reads lean, the computer will richen the mixture so the O2 goes rich, then it will lean the mixture to compensate and the O2 will go back to lean. It does this many times per second, which basically gives it an average of the A/F ratio. These measurments determine the short term fuel trims, and then the long term fuel trims are based on those numbers.

If the O2 hangs at rich or hangs at lean when the computer commands one or the other, it will set a code and typically stay in open loop, since it can't trust the O2 for accurate readings. So if you have a code for an O2 sensor malfunction, chances are the car is staying in open loop, meaning it should be driving just fine except for decreased fuel economy. Its unlikely that a failed O2 sensor would result in the car stuttering on a start, sounds like another issue. Pull the codes and let us know what you come up with.

Sorry I havent responded in a few days my dad had a heart attack sunday evening, I got ran over by a car and We have been dealing with a lot of crap. The car only does it when the A/C is on and you stop. If the A/C is off you never notice anything. Im gonna go out today and pull the codes.
Old 08-20-2009 | 10:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jsafe
mass air working? vac leak?
I dont think I have a vaccum leak I know what they feel like and this doesnt feel like it. I swapped the MAF with a ported one on saturday and it didnt change it, other then I notice some more HP.
Old 08-20-2009 | 12:39 PM
Launching!

I had the same problems as you, and it was the o2 sensors. Unplug the sensors and see how it runs. If it runs good, you need to replace your o2s.
Old 08-20-2009 | 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PGUFF
I had the same problems as you, and it was the o2 sensors. Unplug the sensors and see how it runs. If it runs good, you need to replace your o2s.
Ok Ill do it tomorrow. I heard GM 02's suck is this true? I have never had any issues with Ford ones is why I am asking.
Old 08-20-2009 | 02:52 PM
Teching In

yea my car ran like crap when the o2's went bad only the fronts will make your car drive like **** not the rears
Old 08-20-2009 | 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z2885
Sorry I havent responded in a few days my dad had a heart attack sunday evening, I got ran over by a car and We have been dealing with a lot of crap. The car only does it when the A/C is on and you stop. If the A/C is off you never notice anything. Im gonna go out today and pull the codes.
Sorry to hear about all that, hope all turns out well.

Let us know what you come up with when you have a chance.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:58 PM
Launching!

here are the codes
P0410
P0412

P0418

P1416