New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

So here's the deal, I'm looking 4 help from anyone, please! My boyfriend's bday is coming up in Nov.&Xmas is quickly arriving on us & have no idea wut 2get him, but he's a car guru, or at least seems like 1 to me. He drives a black ws6. Its almost completely stock w/ an exception of those small mods u can do urself w/o spending oodles of $$. Im sorry about my lingo, this is the reason I'm on this site, Idk a whole lot about cars, jus from what I've heard him & his buds talk about; but I'm trying...Anyways, he has a hard time himself deciding on wut he wants 2 do 2 his car, so how am I supposed 2 no!? He's constantly going bak & forth from a cam & headers, a turbo, or nitrous? Now my ??? is, which is going 2 be the best 4 him, giving him the most power for the price, which isn't going 2 in the long run, run his car down, price ranges of all, where can I get this stuff, or order & pros and cons in all, in dumb terms of course 4 me to negotiate haha. thank u guys for the help!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Oh and it would be nice to know what kind of each are best, name brands, sizes, etc...?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Gift certificate from a sponser--->>>

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 09-17-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM

from a sponsor? so he can go get his own? lol
Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

in my opinion if my gf was gonna get me a gift certificate id be happy but if she went out and knew what to get thats just incredible...i dont have to worry bout her doin either thou lol so you could get a gift certificate or talk to his friends and find out what cam he wants and definately go with long tube headers that are coated so they last long and get a 3 inch exhaust with high flow catalytic converters and a loud exhaust...i wood go with a ms3 cam, ceramic coated pacesetter lts and any 3 inch x or h pipe with dynamax bullets...either way he'll be happy, but another thing is that you should let us know how much you plan on spendin cause that will help a lot
Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with JTS on needing to know what you want to spend. I think what you are doing is really cool. It would help to know the year of the car so we can be more specific about part numbers. Is he more into how the car looks or making the car perform better?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

the cheapest would probably be a set of pacesetter long tube headers. check out speed engineering (sponsor on here). the only problem with any of the mods you mentioned is that he will definitely need a tune afterwards. the only way to find a place for that is to research and ask around with people where you live for who is close and who does a good job. hope that helps any.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 PM

well, i was trying to get away without saying a whole lot, because he is member on this forum as well, but...it is a 01 for those questions. and Im considering from 200 up+ not more than 700$ish lol he really wants performance parts, his T/a is already in pretty tip top shape, looks wise...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM

yeah ethomp, he mentioned something about a tune afterwards, and thats a little pricey too right?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

the tune is usually around $450 total. so with headers and the tune you would be looking around $750-$850. Unless he already has a tuner he has used before or knows, then the tune would be alot cheaper. But thats just how it gets after you get all the basic stuff like the intake, and cat back exhaust. The car would still run without a tune, just not the way it should.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I vote to start with a cat-back exhaust...Hooker and Magnaflow are affordable options that sound good. Then if you want double brownie points, put down a deposit of $100 with a reputable tuner in your area so he has a start on paying for a tune once he does headers
Old 09-19-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Resident

I vote for a Magnaflow. Good price and a good starting point to a full exhaust. He'll be happy!
Old 09-19-2009, 12:04 PM

ok not sure what a Magnaflow is, or cat-back exhaust. lol But i do like the ideas, depending on how much they can be? and i love the idea of putting a down payment on a tune. I think I only know of one guy, i know of who did his friends mustang when he got cams, but would he be able to do a t/a as well, or do they typically only do one certain type of car? and if i do get a cat-back exhaust or a magnaflow would there still be a need for a tune? and i think either way if i do get my original idea of a cam or headers i think he wouldnt have a prob waiting to save up money and get them installed and his car tuned, he just needs a jump start to get it all going. because he talks and talks about how hes not going to get to drive his car this winter because itll be in the shop getting built. so we'll see... lol
Old 09-19-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Here ya go

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=192&catid=46

They can be had cheaper depending on where you look. Just google search "magnaflow catback ls1"

I think I only know of one guy, i know of who did his friends mustang when he got cams, but would he be able to do a t/a as well, or do they typically only do one certain type of car?
I would find someone who specializes in LS1s. I got a lifetime tuning deal from a guy who specializes in LS1s for $400.

Another good gift option would be to find someone who does lifetime tune deals on these cars and pay for that. Then he could do his modifications on his schedule and tune it as he goes.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Adding a cat-back exhaust does not require a tune, but other changes in the future such as headers, cam etc would require a tune. That's why it was recommended above that you buy him a lifetime tune. That way everytime he changes something he can have the tune altered to fit that modification. I agree that you should be able to find someone to do this for $400-500. Just do a search for tuners in the regional section on here, and find the person that is most recommended in your area. Just remember that this is not something to compromise on...you may have to drive a little further, but make sure you pay for a tuner that knows what they r doing.