Sponsored by:

Mid-Low 11's..how tough is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Much harder to make that leap N/A..
thats a real generic statement. It can be if you maxed out your set up, or it could be as easy as suspension tuning etc. My old car would drop a half of sec witching from a drag radial to slick. Drag radial i couldnt launch the car like i could on the slicks. On the slicks i could launch the car at 6300 rpms hook and go compared to a 4kish launch and slipping the clutch a little. Majority of the people i see running 11.5's are hci 6 speed cars that overlooked suspension, or havent swapped out rear ends yet. Either way some suspesion work/dialing in or swapping to a 12bolt/9" and bet you they are right down were they need to be.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
thats a real generic statement. It can be if you maxed out your set up, or it could be as easy as suspension tuning etc. My old car would drop a half of sec witching from a drag radial to slick. Drag radial i couldnt launch the car like i could on the slicks. On the slicks i could launch the car at 6300 rpms hook and go compared to a 4kish launch and slipping the clutch a little. Majority of the people i see running 11.5's are hci 6 speed cars that overlooked suspension, or havent swapped out rear ends yet. Either way some suspesion work/dialing in or swapping to a 12bolt/9" and bet you they are right down were they need to be.
This is also a generic statement. Most of the h/c/I cars on here are actually just duds... look at the MPH they make, no where near what they should be..

Slicks/suspension would be an et helper. But when you see a h/c car running a 115-117 trap speed you know there is a problem, and then they have 450 rwhp in their sig, and that really looks ridiculous.

BTW, I wouldnt consider your car full weight at all, no sway bar, bigs n littles, and even the stall converter probably freed up some weight. Im sure there are more little things like the spare and such that you dont have.

Again, it is not as easy as it seems to run low 11's, and even harder for a 6 speed car.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SMS
I am totally unfamiliar with nitrous systems, what is a nano?
NANO uses nitrogen or compressed air to maintain nitrous bottle pressure at all times. Similar purpose as heating the bottle, just far, far better. Not as effective on the smaller shots, like the people are using in this thread, but it does help you get every last bit of performance out of your kit and lets keeps you from wasting as much nitrous, by allowing you to use it til the bottle is empty.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

run some juice and do exhaust work and a tune and gears and radials you will be there
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On an ls1 it is very hard without taking weight out to go from 11.5s to 11.0s.. I will argue that all day, I did it. If you think that is as easy as changing some suspension on most setups you are sadly mistaken.
Nitrous is easy, change the pill.. N/A it takes a lot more, you can't just say, "O my heads are set for 40Rwhp right now, think on the next pass I'll step it up to 75rwhp".. Not trying to be a smart ***, but you get one I'm saying hopefully.
My old white car would have picked up a good 4 tenths or more in the 1/8 from suspension, but I was on BONE stock suspension, weighed nothing, and made a lot of power and got out of the hole hard. That makes for a poor setup and was my fault, "most" people aren't lucky enough that suspension would help them that much.

Originally Posted by BADD SS
This is also a generic statement. Most of the h/c/I cars on here are actually just duds... look at the MPH they make, no where near what they should be..

Slicks/suspension would be an et helper. But when you see a h/c car running a 115-117 trap speed you know there is a problem, and then they have 450 rwhp in their sig, and that really looks ridiculous.

BTW, I wouldnt consider your car full weight at all, no sway bar, bigs n littles, and even the stall converter probably freed up some weight. Im sure there are more little things like the spare and such that you dont have.

Again, it is not as easy as it seems to run low 11's, and even harder for a 6 speed car.
You do have to remember even though it is easier for us A4 guys with the ETs its harder for us to get the MPH up there..
Old 09-27-2009, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

On an ls1 it is very hard without taking weight out to go from 11.5s to 11.0s.. I will argue that all day, I did it. If you think that is as easy as changing some suspension on most setups you are sadly mistaken.
Nitrous is easy, change the pill.. N/A it takes a lot more, you can't just say, "O my heads are set for 40Rwhp right now, think on the next pass I'll step it up to 75rwhp".. Not trying to be a smart ***, but you get one I'm saying hopefully.
My old white car would have picked up a good 4 tenths or more in the 1/8 from suspension, but I was on BONE stock suspension, weighed nothing, and made a lot of power and got out of the hole hard. That makes for a poor setup and was my fault, "most" people aren't lucky enough that suspension would help them that much.

You do have to remember even though it is easier for us A4 guys with the ETs its harder for us to get the MPH up there..
read more care i said could be as easy. I've gone down the n/a pass before, this is the first car i decieded to spray. There are many factors and no conclusive way to say. Someone might have a cam in the car that needs to rev to the moon and only has 3.42's in the rear. Another person could be babying the car out of the hole cause he doesnt want to blow up his stock rear. Another could not know how to shift s car for ****. List goes on.

Bad SS your right big littles and front sway were off on the car. Currently car has a lot more off, but never got back to the track
Old 09-28-2009, 04:39 AM
SMS
Staging Lane

Any car I buy I am intending to spray, so going low 11's N/A vs nitrous is really a moot point, at least in this thread.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SMS
Any car I buy I am intending to spray, so going low 11's N/A vs nitrous is really a moot point, at least in this thread.
It's not moot point. If this thread were about nitrous we would be talking about 10s not low 11s.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:18 PM
SMS
Staging Lane

Oh, This thread isn't about nitrous?? Thanks for telling me what I started this thread for.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SMS
Oh, This thread isn't about nitrous?? Thanks for telling me what I started this thread for.
Well then you need not read past the second post. That's all you need to know. Low 11s, cheap and easy.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can run low 11s for less than a grand using nitrous, easily.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:34 PM
SMS
Staging Lane

Well, that's what I'm after. I still plan to upgrade the rear end and trans for reliability. That is when I find a car!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SMS
Well, that's what I'm after. I still plan to upgrade the rear end and trans for reliability. That is when I find a car!
Converter, intake, LT's w/ cutout, lid, tune, 175 shot, tires..
Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

he said low mid 11's not 10's. You said my mods but i have a 100 shot. Weight reduction as Badd SS pointed out no front sway and big/littles. Car went 11.6's on 17" wheels back in the day, but that was pre nano
Old 09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Damn where do u buy ur parts??

Good Converter $750
Intake $350
LTs $300
Lid $50
175 shot $500.....at least
Tires $400.... just for DRs for stock wheels, +$1200 if you want big and littles
Tune $400ish ???

Im kindof good at math, but I think its gonna take a little more than a Grand to go 11s. I mean tires alone are going to eat a good chunk of that up. Not to mention you prob going to run in to some extra expenses along the way. Like maybe having to upgrade the fuel pump for that big of a shot.

Just dont want to give this guy the wrong idea. Take a stock f-body add a grand and ur chances of running 11s at all are very slim. And it wont prob do it for very long before you brake or blow it up and have to dump alot of coin into it.

But what do I know???
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

drag radials adn 175 shoot should do it with an auto, but still gotta add a tune
Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

drag radials adn 175 shoot should do it with an auto, but still gotta add a tune
Sorry, but I dont see mid-low 11s in this well thought out combo. stock car (WS6/SS) 325hp + 175hp shot = 500hp. at the crank. take out % lost thru Stock auto (20%hp Conservatively) = 400 at the wheels. That Will Not push an Fbody into the mid-low 11s. I'd be Shocked if it even hit 11.99, with stock drivetrain and stock suspension.
To the OP: i have 90mm TB&intake, LTs, cam, stage 2 heads, 3600 stall, 3.73s on beefed up 10bolt, lid, pulley, and tune with SFC, LCAs, PHB, and 17" DRs. my best is 11.7 @ 118 mph NA. last dyno (pre 90mm combo) was 420hp at the Wheels (I'm guessin it is now around 430ish). So there's an Actual Number for you to aim for. but it's gonna take more that a GRAND...... that's the nature of the beast.

PS. Ruckus46GT.... I want to see you car run!! If you're gettin those times.. your car is a FREAK. lol. I need to know your secret. and I'm serious!!!

Last edited by YURVIEW; 09-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

he said low mid 11's not 10's. You said my mods but i have a 100 shot. Weight reduction as Badd SS pointed out no front sway and big/littles. Car went 11.6's on 17" wheels back in the day, but that was pre nano
I was going to say a 150 shot.. But why not go ahead and do a 175? I know that will get him past his mark but why not aim higher?

Originally Posted by blakern
Damn where do u buy ur parts??

Good Converter $750
Intake $350
LTs $300
Lid $50
175 shot $500.....at least
Tires $400.... just for DRs for stock wheels, +$1200 if you want big and littles
Tune $400ish ???

Im kindof good at math, but I think its gonna take a little more than a Grand to go 11s. I mean tires alone are going to eat a good chunk of that up. Not to mention you prob going to run in to some extra expenses along the way. Like maybe having to upgrade the fuel pump for that big of a shot.

Just dont want to give this guy the wrong idea. Take a stock f-body add a grand and ur chances of running 11s at all are very slim. And it wont prob do it for very long before you brake or blow it up and have to dump alot of coin into it.

But what do I know???
I get deals, patience is your friend when looking for cheap GOOD parts..
Converter- 300-450$ (I actually bought my last VIG for 125$+rebuild for 50$, it was a KILLER converter for DIRT cheap.. Easily could have sold for 600$)
LTs w/ cutout- 200$
Lid- 40$
Basic nitrous kit- 250$
Tires- 200$
Tune- 300$

I will give you that *most* people would go well over this.. But if you know the right time to buy and the right people to buy from and cash in hand you can find amazing deals all over the place. I actually upped the price ^^^ so some people wouldn't call BS on the prices I have paid for some of my parts..
It can be done for cheap, and going that route will net the OP faster than he wanted to go.. Take out the LT's and lid and just get a nitrous kit tires and a tune and he would be set..

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
Sorry, but I dont see mid-low 11s in this well thought out combo. stock car (WS6/SS) 325hp + 175hp shot = 500hp. at the crank. take out % lost thru Stock auto (20%hp Conservatively) = 400 at the wheels. That Will Not push an Fbody into the mid-low 11s. I'd be Shocked if it even hit 11.99, with stock drivetrain and stock suspension.
To the OP: i have 90mm TB&intake, LTs, cam, stage 2 heads, 3600 stall, 3.73s on beefed up 10bolt, lid, pulley, and tune with SFC, LCAs, PHB, and 17" DRs. my best is 11.7 @ 118 mph NA. last dyno (pre 90mm combo) was 420hp at the Wheels (I'm guessin it is now around 430ish). So there's an Actual Number for you to aim for. but it's gonna take more that a GRAND...... that's the nature of the beast.

Seriously man.. Since when does dyno numbers mean ANYTHING.. I make way less than 400rwhp and run mid 11s.. In my last set up I made right at 425rwhp and with traction would have been in 10s, sadly I got tired of dealing with the setup and sold it and only hit low 11s.. This car ran 7.2@95.5 mph in 2000DA with BONE stock suspension and 26" tires, no tune for the heads.. It had a LOT left in it (mph shows that). And that is with the 425rwhp you say cant get you there.

Dyno numbers mean NOTHING!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

My best advise would be to go to ur local track and watch some f-bodys run. Then talk with the owners and see how much or how little (like most every one on this fourm thinks) they have into there car. I bet u'll be surprised. Plus most of these guys posting on this thread including myself arnt even running lol 11s. And its suppose to be so easy??? So why listen to us??

With the exception of ruckus46gt. But his car is what id call somewhat of a freak. But even with as little mods as he has on his car, he's still got some $$$s into it.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blakern
My best advise would be to go to ur local track and watch some f-bodys run. Then talk with the owners and see how much or how little (like most every one on this fourm thinks) they have into there car. I bet u'll be surprised. Plus most of these guys posting on this thread including myself arnt even running lol 11s. And its suppose to be so easy??? So why listen to us??

With the exception of ruckus46gt. But his car is what id call somewhat of a freak. But even with as little mods as he has on his car, he's still got some $$$s into it.
I don't run 11s?

My advice is to NOT listen to people at the local track and not to listen to 80% of the people on here..
It is much easier than some people say to do some things and much harder to do other things than some pass it off as.
11s on nitrous is simple, put a kit on.. get a tune and tires... then go to the track, you will be happy with the results.

BTW, not to be a dick.. But if you arent in the 11s and some of us giving advice are (and more), who are you to speak up and say anything?

Quick Reply: Mid-Low 11's..how tough is it?