Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORMULA or T/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FORMULA or T/A

I used to have a 98 Formula before I sold it and went back to the LT1 SS now I have sold it and I am in the market again for an LS1. I would like to go with a Pontiac and I have never owned a T/A before. I was trying to figure out which would be the better buy a T/A or a Formula again. I know the Formula is lighter but other than that I don't know much of the diffrences between them other than the Formula looks like a V6(nice sleeper)but if you guys could give me some info and opinions on what you would consider the better buy it would be appriciated.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:16 AM
Launching!

It all depends on the styling. Decide if you like the big spoiler on the ta better than the deck lid, same with the t/a's ground effects. Personally, i am a fan of the T/A myself (i've had two of them) All Trans am's have t-tops (98+) and the majority of them have leather interior (which is all that touches my skin ) If you like the sleeper look and being asked if its a v6 then go with the formula. Either way, have fun!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

T/A all the way!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why the freak would you sell an LS1 for an LT1? Financial reasons? I know I'd 10 times rather have an LS1.

I say go for the Trans Am. They're a look nicer looking.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:02 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference between them is PURELY cosmetic.

T/As have the ground effects, larger center mount foglights, and the up level spoiler. That's the only difference between the two cars.

I went the other way... I had a '99 T/A and now I have a '98 Formula... and I think I like Formulas better now. They look so much sleeker without all those ground effects... and I kinda like that V6 stealth - especially with my car being purple, most people don't expect it to be fast.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the feedback guys and to answer previous question I went back to the LT1 not for the financial part of it because the LT1 was faster with the Nos set up I had that came with it when I bought it and I still think the cast iorn block sounds so good! To bad it will always be to heavy and to slow but I think l had my old Formula and I loved having people mess with me everyday thinking it was a V6 but I like the look of the raised spoiler I just didn't know if the cosmetics was the only diffrence.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about a Formula with a TA spoiler? I love that look. Especially if it's a Ram Air car.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Ground effects and wings on the Trans Am look good today, but in 10 years the Formula will hold its looks better. I think just about any Formula ever built in the last 30 or so years tends to hold onto their appeal much better than the Trans Am of the same year. Much like Camaros, its the "simple, clean" look that keeps them popular, not the trendy flash of the times.

Tony
Old 12-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

I tend to agree with the long run aspect of the Formula it will probly hold out better but who knows what GM will throw out there next with the "Camaro" or "Firebird" it could look totaly diffrent and people might find it better than the old look. I just hope they don't go retro with it like the "new" Mustangs coming out(sorry said Mustang)I want to see something new and vastly improved not watered down
Old 12-03-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have had both. First a t/a then the formula. I went with the formula the second time around cause I hated the leather in the t/a. Cheap crap that's hot in the summer and cold in the winter (that's one of the things I don't like about corvettes is they are all leather).

When I first looked at fbody's I didn't like the T/a's wing, but after having one, I liked it. The bad thing about the formula's spoiler thing is that when you wash it, it acts like a big pond...kinda a pain. I like the front end of a formula better.

IMO the perfect pontiac would have formula front end, firehawk hood, cloth seats, t/a wing and rear bumper cover (like the exhaust outlets)...oh well I'm happy with my formula.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Either one's a winner. They each have their own styling cues that make them unique. I'm still a sucker for the look of a T/A WS6. That's just a sweet look...period.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jabroni
Either one's a winner. They each have their own styling cues that make them unique. I'm still a sucker for the look of a T/A WS6. That's just a sweet look...period.
Thats why i got mine!
Old 12-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

I agree the WS6 is one mean looking car thats what I was leaning towards getting one
Old 12-03-2003, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Since you brought up Mustangs, use them as another example for "clean styling". The 89-93 5.0 Mustangs specifically, anyone notice that the LX versions of those year Mustangs hold their value and appeal MUCH more than the GT versions of the same era? Back then, the GT was more popular because it was the trendy look, but now the LX coupes and notchbacks are more desirable, especially the 93 limited edition convertible LXs. I had a '90GT back then and now I think they are kinda ugly, but the LX's still look great.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I say get a TA if you have never had one before. I like the look of the LS1 Formulas though, throw on a nice hood and some wheels and they look killer. Its fun to say you have a Trans Am though, because there a certain stigma behind it. How ever if I ever got another 4th gen F-car, it wont be a Trans Am. The leather is aboslute crap beyond a reasonable doubt. I would rather have cloth seats at this point. I really want a light LS1 Formula, roll up windows, manual door locks and a six speed. On the thing about holding looks better over time, I doubt strongly that 95% of people on here will own there cars that long for it to matter.

Last edited by Bizzzatch350; 12-03-2003 at 02:41 PM.