Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno disappointments HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssjTAdriver
I am really worried about doing this myself as well. I was told some water will do the same thing. Minus puting it in the gas tank of course... and don't let it die. Takes two to do it I was told. I'd like to see more about this. I will search and see what I find. GL OP.
I've heard of people doing that on old school motors (carbed motors) but I wouldn't do it on a LS1.....
Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^dont use water, and dont use anything like this on a Northstar motor, the valves of the northstars dont like it. youll be fine with the ls1's though.

also, the longer you let it sit after you bog it to kill it, the better. if you can let it sit like that overnight that would be best. gives the seafoam longer to break down the buildup.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssjTAdriver
I am really worried about doing this myself as well. I was told some water will do the same thing. Minus puting it in the gas tank of course... and don't let it die. Takes two to do it I was told. I'd like to see more about this. I will search and see what I find. GL OP.
I read a really good SeaFoam How To on here a couple months ago. I dunno what it was under but it was a good write up. Ill try to see if i can find it.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Here's the Link https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 10-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02_camaroz28
Im kinda scared about putting it in the crank case, and then driving it at all. Im afraid it might un clog something and suck it up in the screen of my pump. Has anyone done this? I was thinking about just letting it sit in there all night and then just draining it.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z2885
Im kinda scared about putting it in the crank case, and then driving it at all. Im afraid it might un clog something and suck it up in the screen of my pump. Has anyone done this? I was thinking about just letting it sit in there all night and then just draining it.
if you dont wanna drive it then just let it sit and idle for a while, the point in driving it is to get the sludge off all the inside walls, oil passeges, lifters, out of the pushrods etc so it needs to be cycled though the motor. if it would make you feel better then do it several times in a row and just keep changing the filter.

back in the day people used to put a quart of ATF in the crank case and do the same thing, these new motors dont like that though, it tears up the bearings. which is why we use seafoam now.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Launching!

Im new to the LS1 game, why do they sludge up and build up so much carbon? I have never seen a car act like this. My brothers LT1 did the exact same thing.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im new to the LS1 game, why do they sludge up and build up so much carbon? I have never seen a car act like this. My brothers LT1 did the exact same thing.
they all do it, its really just the time, heat, pressure, etc. It also doesnt help that always, no matter what, there will be some blow-by, so theres going to be gasoline and exhaust in the mix too. the blow-by increases with milage and time so the build up gets faster.

remember motor oil is designed to stick to stuff, especially the internals of an engine. add in a few hundred degrees, a crankshaft spinning a minimum of 15 times a second or as fast as over 100 rps ( 3000 rp minute is 50 rp second, do the math) , the oil pump pressures, the fact that its dripping down from all over and well, sludge.

also theres burnt oil in there. the bottom ring on a piston has nothing to do with holding compression, its there to keep the oil out of the combustion chamber. so when it starts to ware and oil starts to burn......
Old 10-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
they all do it, its really just the time, heat, pressure, etc. It also doesnt help that always, no matter what, there will be some blow-by, so theres going to be gasoline and exhaust in the mix too. the blow-by increases with milage and time so the build up gets faster.

remember motor oil is designed to stick to stuff, especially the internals of an engine. add in a few hundred degrees, a crankshaft spinning a minimum of 15 times a second or as fast as over 100 rps ( 3000 rp minute is 50 rp second, do the math) , the oil pump pressures, the fact that its dripping down from all over and well, sludge.

also theres burnt oil in there. the bottom ring on a piston has nothing to do with holding compression, its there to keep the oil out of the combustion chamber. so when it starts to ware and oil starts to burn......

Ive built fox bodies for the last 11 years, and Ive never seen them do that. Then my brother bought a LT1 in 05 it had carbon really bad on the maf and tb. Then I bought my car, and it had did the same thing. I just cleaned it off, but I know its got to be built up in the motor. Oh I dropped my pro stars off yesterday, to have the gloss black powder coated. There gonna look sick.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok well I went to a dyno day at JKS performance here in mansfield tx. I was curious as to what my car is putting down to the ground. Mod list is ported maf ported tb, slp box free ram air mod, mid lengths, off road y pipe and a borla muffler. The car was smoking black and grey smoke like crazy on the upper rpms, and a little bit on the lower. Its running way to rich. and only put down 267 hp and 293 tq Its a auto, and I was on a mustang dyno. Does that sound right, or is my car a **** turd? Does it need a tune, just for those mods? and would it benefit me at this time?
I started to read some of these post but here is my personal exp, in no certain order.

- Automatics are not Dyno Queens (at very least compare to other A4 stock stalled cars)
- 1998 cars tend not to dyno high due to PCM and intake, even though the cam is slightly bigger but due to the CAT design and tune, tends to make less power
- Any car that removes the CATS will set a MIL or SES light and the tune can be adjusted. Often a car should be running lean, you should be seeing knock retard
- Mustang dynos lower due to certain parameters that are inputted and some are assumed and ultimately if done correctly can be more accurate then a dynojet but often are not due to again, assumptions.
- Every A4 98 car I have seen does not out the power on par with a 01-2002, the LS6 intake does factor in but we had a car locally, put on headers, LM1 exhaust, lS6 intake, lid, on a 10 bolt w/ dyno tune make 315 rwhp. Sadly my 2002 M6 car with a lid only makes 324 and when headers added made over 350. The auto vs manual diff will matter but alot of it has to do with the pcm and cyl head design.

IMO you need to tune the car see what it makes.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

just for a reference, my car made like 295 hp with a full bolt-on m6 untuned(don't know what kind of dyno it was, or what my AF was). after i got a good tune, it bumped it up to 360 uncorrected.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive built fox bodies for the last 11 years, and Ive never seen them do that. Then my brother bought a LT1 in 05 it had carbon really bad on the maf and tb. Then I bought my car, and it had did the same thing. I just cleaned it off, but I know its got to be built up in the motor. Oh I dropped my pro stars off yesterday, to have the gloss black powder coated. There gonna look sick.
I dunno then, ive never seen a motor not do it. I do know that the type of oil matters, and im sure all conditions matter, and the motor/design prob matter a lot too.

the build up in the intake is from the gasoline, believe it or not a motor will shoot some of the gas that far back up the intake, it has to do with the valves slamming shut and subsuquent pressure wave that travels back through the intake. take the air filter off a carbed motor at night, shine a flashlight across the top and rev the motor, its crazy. the more valve lift and stiffer valve springs and faster the valves shut the worse it gets, so try it on a factory cam motor and a large cam motor, you should see fuel jump a solid 18 inches out of the carb on the cammed motor.
I dunno that it makes it as far as the MAF but thats whats in the TB and intake manifold.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh yeah,

Oh I dropped my pro stars off yesterday, to have the gloss black powder coated. There gonna look sick.
PICS!!!!!

they say when theyd be done? ive seen black ccw's but not prostars, that just sounds cool lol what are you gonna due for the lug nuts and center caps? all black or some crome? think it would be kinda neat to have the Prostars black, center caps black, and leave the lug nuts crome. then again all black is bad ***
Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
oh yeah,

PICS!!!!!

they say when theyd be done? ive seen black ccw's but not prostars, that just sounds cool lol what are you gonna due for the lug nuts and center caps? all black or some crome? think it would be kinda neat to have the Prostars black, center caps black, and leave the lug nuts crome. then again all black is bad ***
Im having it all done in black, the caps and lugs included. Here is a pic of what they are gonna look like.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

She is running rich. personally I would swap the maf with a stock one as the stockers work just fine. Sometimes if you mess with them(descreening and porting) it will mess things up.

FWIW, my 98 with a lid, catback, no cats and a basic Frost tune made 300/308 through an A4 in 90 degree heat and right after a thunderstorm.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Link to my wheels I got them back today
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...all-think.html