Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 heads and intake install

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls6 heads and intake install

Im going to put on a set of ls6 heads and a ls6 intake. How hard will this be to do myself?? What other parts will i need??? I have a cam in it. its (duration@.006 tappet lift 269 273)

Last edited by 0331gunner; 11-22-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

not possitive about all parts, you might want to consider stronger pushrods while your in there, since you are going up in power,.....hopefully somone else can help ya with the parts list, i know you will need gaskets and you and also consider arp studs/bolts while your there too as a safety thing
Old 11-22-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your going to need
new head gaskets,
new head bolts unless your going with studs (I would),
I would say go ahead and buy new exhaust manifold bolts,
exhaust manifold gaskets.
new knock sensors (sense your there already)

Steam pipe plugs for the back of the head and a LS6 style steam pipe crossover for the front of the heads

That should be really all you need, you can re-use the O-ring gaskets for the intake manifold and swap them over to the LS6 manifold. Im assuming you will be getting rid of your EGR system as well.

Its not that hard once you get the manifolds off, just basic unbolt and careful dissasembly. Be careful though not to get any debris in the wrong places and make sure when you torque down your heads you get them with the right amount of torque and the right bolt pattern.

Once your finished you will need a tune to tune your new air/fuel ratio and spark and fuel tables. Also, they will need to tune out the EGR since it will throw a code if the PCM detects it is unplugged.

You should see a good difference in power since the 98-00 cams are a tad bit bigger than in the 01-02 LS1 F-Bodys

Here is a list of all of the LS1 torque specs

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1

GL
Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ summed up very well... i would also say there is no need for stronger push rods, just my .02