New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I bought a WS6

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tromp on it and live sounds like the best advice to me. I'll put some pics up in the next couple weeks after I get it all dialed in.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
Thanks for the vin decoder LS1W66.
And I'll keep the hood thanks, and I won't try to pass it off as a WS6, I'm very honest about my cars. I'll tell you everything good and bad about it. I bought this one and found out everything good and bad on my own. But I have to say for the most part I'm pretty dam happy with it. Already have a set of vette wheels for it, just need two 18" tires for them. And I'll have to take a pic of the badge on the dashboard. What no one has that or its not suppose to be there? It looks factory to me.
That's not a GM hood unless someone filled the line around the "nostrils".. It also looks a little thick around them??

Good buy and Congrats though!!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the RPO code "WS6" isn't there, then it's not a WS6. At any rate, if it's as clean as you say, 4k is plenty fair. Enjoy
Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
That's not a GM hood unless someone filled the line around the "nostrils".. It also looks a little thick around them??
i'm suprised it took someone that long to notice lol... the scoops also look taller than the factory hoods... whoever you got it from lied their *** off so that alone is a deterrent for me but you're stuck with it now so not alot you can do... it doesn't look like a bad car though, just needs a little cosmetic work lol... next time do your research before you jump on the first thing you find
Old 01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Oh My! Stuck with it??? I wish I was stuck with it. Let's be positive here or at least realistic. If he were silly enough to let a car go that he seems to love driving and exactly suits his needs, he won't exactly be stuck with it. If it is as he has described I would give him Six grand for it and feel like I was ripping him off.
This car is perfect for a newbie. It's about the joy of runnin' one down the road, not the details of production numbers and the minor differences in ram air hoods. The car looks good, runs good and brings a smile to his face for the price of a drive-line. C'mon.
3 years ago I bought a 98 formula 6 speed, non-ram air with 76k on it for like$7,500. The next day a lifter came apart. That's stuck. Or at least temporarily. I wound up having her fixed and cammed, enjoyed her like crazy for about 18 months and then traded even for a 2000Silverado ext. cab that was worth around ten k. Basicly I broke even and drove it for free.
Cool car Dude. Go smoke some Fords now.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tscape16
I'd say you got a pretty good deal assuming nothing major is wrong with it. $4,000 for a car that could easily sold for $8-10k is a pretty damn good deal. If you want, you can always flip the car (sell it right away for a higher price), then buy a WS6 that is in worse shape than the car you just got...
*Either way, when you mod the car, it isn't going to make a difference between the 20 horsepower a WS6 claims to gain over the regular Trans Am.
x2. Either way...it sounds like you wound up with the better end of the deal.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Well it is what it is. The guy I got it from was totally shady about it being a WS6. Guess I should have figured something when I never met the owner and only dealt with his wife. But I really only wanted it because it's an LS1 with a 6 speed. The WS6 part just added to it. But atleast someone made it look like one for me before I got it, lol. And who said it needs cosmetic work? Something I'm not seeing here? The paint and body are flawless, no dings or scratches. True it needs the other rims and maybe some differ exhaust tips, definately some window tint, but what else????? Oh and I traded a 03 Ford Explorer for it that had 160k miles on it for those of you that were wondering. Now I did feel stuck with that for some reason. So from all this I have a very nice TA WS6 clone, thats worth about double what I have into it. I would say not too bad, and it definately puts a smile on my face when grabbing gears. I've always been more of a take all the bagdes off kinda guy, so now that I know it's not a real WS6 I'm thinking the hood and badges will be coming off in the spring.

Yes the car has a clean and clear title in my hand.

Last edited by WizardofDetailing; 01-14-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Well it is what it is. The guy I got it from was totally shady about it being a WS6. Guess I should have figured something when I never met the owner and only dealt with his wife. But I really only wanted it because it's an LS1 with a 6 speed. The WS6 part just added to it. But atleast someone made it look like one for me before I got it, lol. And who said it needs cosmetic work? Something I'm not seeing here? The paint and body are flawless, no dings or scratches. True it needs the other rims and maybe some differ exhaust tips, definately some window tint, but what else????? Oh and I traded a 03 Ford Explorer for it that had 160k miles on it for those of you that were wondering. Now I did feel stuck with that for some reason. So from all this I have a very nice TA WS6 clone, thats worth about double what I have into it. I would say not too bad, and it definately puts a smile on my face when grabbing gears. I've always been more of a take all the bagdes off kinda guy, so now that I know it's not a real WS6 I'm thinking the hood and badges will be coming off in the spring.
1. Assuming the car has a clear title, you obviously came out ahead in this deal. Like you said...if you just wanted an LS1 car, then it being a WS6 or not is a bit of a non-issue. I wouldn't have cared if I found out my car wasn't a "real" SS. All I cared about was the wheels/hood. lol

2. Sell the hood to some clown this spring. Take that money and put it towards performance parts. :2cents:
Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Should I take that perfomance badge off the dash board then???? It just says PEFORMANCE in silver letters with a black background right below the SRS letters. Yes I know the SRS is for the airbag, before someone trys to tell me.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

4K is a great deal on that car...congrats.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Dude you got one hell of a deal, a captain in my unit paid 13K for a white 98 TA non WS6 with an aftermarket hood, and around 125K miles. Who cares if it isnt a WS6, it looks just as bad *** lol.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:33 AM

ya thats areally nice car!!! also it has 16 in rims ws6 has 17in the hood looks like a look a like ws6 shoot i woulda been more than happy give 4 for it
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Launching!

dont take off anything or change anything you like. you dont gotta justify anything you like either. if you like it, you like it. if someone wants you to do somethin else, tell them to do it to their car. great find, id trade an exploder for that anyday
Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

nice trade and great car regardless if its a ws6 or not still a clean looking car
Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

I just want to take the stuff off thats not suppose to be there. Trying to look stock with nicer wheels and tinted windows, couple nice mild mods, and just drive it. I'm sure eventually I'll trade it for another toy and I don't want the next guy to think he's getting something he's not. Better to learn it all on here rather than at a meet where I'm sure there will be a few people who will pick it a part. Definately appreciate all the feed back.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

the hood adds more value to the car than its worth to sell it...keep the nice hood, **** a flat hood t/a

you got a steal on that thing...you got rid of a POS ford explorer with high miles for a clean trans am...I would kill to find a clean t/a for under $5k
Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Should I take that perfomance badge off the dash board then???? It just says PEFORMANCE in silver letters with a black background right below the SRS letters. Yes I know the SRS is for the airbag, before someone trys to tell me.
If you like it...keep it. I wouldn't go messing with anything unless it's bugging you.

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Dude you got one hell of a deal, a captain in my unit paid 13K for a white 98 TA non WS6 with an aftermarket hood, and around 125K miles. Who cares if it isnt a WS6, it looks just as bad *** lol.
Do you live overseas or did he do no research at all? This summer, I paid $7,500 for my '99 SS w/ 90k miles. He paid about twice what that car is worth.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Yeah he mostly likely didn't do research, I wouldn't pay more than 7500 for that car.

I'm getting a 2002 trans am ws6 with 66k miles for $12,900.

I think it's pretty fair, it's in excellent shape.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mischief
Yeah he mostly likely didn't do research, I wouldn't pay more than 7500 for that car.

I'm getting a 2002 trans am ws6 with 66k miles for $12,900.

I think it's pretty fair, it's in excellent shape.
I'd say that's more than fair. That's a pretty good deal. Here in Maryland suggested retail for that car would be around $15,000
Old 01-14-2010, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

That's a dam good deal. It's a great deal if your happy with it, and that's all that matters. Enjoy your new ride.I would have jumped on in a minute.