Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some buying advice

I'm looking at buying a 98 z28 locally. I've already looked at the car but I didn't have much time with it. The body has some dents and dings (not a big concern for me). The front seats are shot. My biggest concern is the guy says he believes the car has a blown head gasket and there is some valvetrain noise. He also said he found a needle bearing on the drain plug when he changed the oil. He started the car for me and let it run for about 15-20 min and revved the motor a few times. I didn't see any white smoke and the oil on the dipstick looked fine, dark, but pretty normal. During the time the car was running I noticed a small amount of what I believe to be steam under the hood (didn't overheat) and I noticed a hose was disconnected towards the back of the motor on the driver's side. I talked to the guy about the car and we settled on $2000. I plan on going back and looking at the car before I really make a decision. I need some advice on what to look for when I go back. I'm a newb and I need to know if the car is worth the money. From looking at prices I see on a lot of other ls1 f bodies the price doesn't seem bad even with the problems but I wanted some opinions from the experts. Any advice you can give is much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldnt cause if it was to tear up...your out of alot of money plus ls motors are very exspensive :}
Old 02-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I plan on fixing the problems with the car before I start driving it. It won't be a dd and I plan on it being a project. I should have mentioned that in the first post.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

o ok gotcha
Old 02-25-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How many miles on it? It sounds like either it has alot of miles or he beat it to death, OR it was poorly "maintained." Is it an auto or manual trans? Sounds like a decent deal but it depends on the mileage and how the body is. I know you said it has a few dings and dents but people's interpretation of that can vary greatly.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TZ2884
I'm looking at buying a 98 z28 locally. I've already looked at the car but I didn't have much time with it. The body has some dents and dings (not a big concern for me). The front seats are shot. My biggest concern is the guy says he believes the car has a blown head gasket and there is some valvetrain noise. He also said he found a needle bearing on the drain plug when he changed the oil.

How long ago was this oil change? Its dark now, you say.

He started the car for me and let it run for about 15-20 min and revved the motor a few times. I didn't see any white smoke and the oil on the dipstick looked fine, dark, but pretty normal.

No sign of moisture in the oil? Look under the oil filler cap and see if there is a white creamy slime hanging on to the cap, that will indicate moisture in the engine.

During the time the car was running I noticed a small amount of what I believe to be steam under the hood (didn't overheat) and I noticed a hose was disconnected towards the back of the motor on the driver's side.

Large or small diameter hose?

I talked to the guy about the car and we settled on $2000. I plan on going back and looking at the car before I really make a decision. I need some advice on what to look for when I go back. I'm a newb and I need to know if the car is worth the money. From looking at prices I see on a lot of other ls1 f bodies the price doesn't seem bad even with the problems but I wanted some opinions from the experts. Any advice you can give is much appreciated.
Is this guy being pressed to sell the car? Or, is it that he doesn't really want to and he is just giving you a line. If your serious about this car, take it to a licensed mechanic and have him check it out. You don't state the milage, or how its been run over the years, so, are going to do a full engine rebuild? ($1200 - 2000) Body work $xxxx, interior $xxx. No other F-bodies in your area???? $4 - 6000, buy a decent one without problems like this one has.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Default 2000 bucks

If that stock 10 bolt rear end is still any good its well worth it. Look at it this way I paid 10,900 for mine, and the money for motor, heads, cam, trans and even new front seats doesnt come close to 8,900 bucks. Go for it.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
How many miles on it? It sounds like either it has alot of miles or he beat it to death, OR it was poorly "maintained." Is it an auto or manual trans? Sounds like a decent deal but it depends on the mileage and how the body is. I know you said it has a few dings and dents but people's interpretation of that can vary greatly.
I can't remeber the mileage,he told me in a phone conversation but I was in a bit of a hurry that day and like an idiot didn't pay attention to the odometer. Car is an auto. There was a dent in the passenger side quarter that is now repaired and primered. Also there is a new rear bumper cover on the car. the passenger side door had a scrape/dent leading from the back of the door to the quarter panel. Under the rear everything looked fine. My dad is a body man so that work doesn't seem very intimidating.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by alittle1
Is this guy being pressed to sell the car? Or, is it that he doesn't really want to and he is just giving you a line. If your serious about this car, take it to a licensed mechanic and have him check it out. You don't state the milage, or how its been run over the years, so, are going to do a full engine rebuild? ($1200 - 2000) Body work $xxxx, interior $xxx. No other F-bodies in your area???? $4 - 6000, buy a decent one without problems like this one has.
There are other f-bodies in the area but people seem to be extremely proud of them. 4-6 would get me a nice v6 car. My budget is very small and I saw it as sort of an oppurtunity as opposed to doing an ls swap into my 84 z28. I'm itching to get into a gen3 engine. The guy that owns the car bought it on impulse and has been getting into trucks. He claims he's just lost interest in the car and has too many other projects (which I saw , small block s10 blazer, 94 silverado, 89 silverado). Also I have many ls1 parts available to me at more than reasonable prices. I know a guy that runs a performance shop locally. He uses our shop from time to time to purchase wire, ring terminals, batteries, and other car audio equipment.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Looks like you've got your mind half made up. Grab your Dad and your money and have a good look at it with his experience, he'll tell you if its worth the bucks. What state you in?

There are other f-bodies in the area but people seem to be extremely proud of them. 4-6 would get me a nice v6 car. My budget is very small and I saw it as sort of an oppurtunity as opposed to doing an ls swap into my 84 z28. I'm itching to get into a gen3 engine. The guy that owns the car bought it on impulse and has been getting into trucks. He claims he's just lost interest in the car and has too many other projects (which I saw , small block s10 blazer, 94 silverado, 89 silverado). Also I have many ls1 parts available to me at more than reasonable prices. I know a guy that runs a performance shop locally. He uses our shop from time to time to purchase wire, ring terminals, batteries, and other car audio equipment.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by alittle1
Looks like you've got your mind half made up. Grab your Dad and your money and have a good look at it with his experience, he'll tell you if its worth the bucks. What state you in?
I have to admit I'm a sucker for the body style and the gen3 engine. I'm in SC. I haven't been looking for an ls1 car for very long. I was planning on another third gen for a swap or one with an ls engine already in it but when I came across this one for this price it got the wheels turning.

Also I meant to mention, I pulled the oil cap off and didn't see any gunk.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't remeber the mileage,he told me in a phone conversation but I was in a bit of a hurry that day and like an idiot didn't pay attention to the odometer. Car is an auto. There was a dent in the passenger side quarter that is now repaired and primered. Also there is a new rear bumper cover on the car. the passenger side door had a scrape/dent leading from the back of the door to the quarter panel. Under the rear everything looked fine. My dad is a body man so that work doesn't seem very intimidating.
If your dad is a bodyman then you should be good to go if he gives you the OK. It always helps to have two pairs of eyes looking over a car IMO. He'll see things you didn't and vice versa. For me, I guess it would really come down to the mileage then. Also, if he told you he found a needle bearing when draining the oil then he must be a pretty honest guy to come out and say that. Was the motor making any ticking or knocking noise when you ran it (I know you said it wasn't smoking)?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
If your dad is a bodyman then you should be good to go if he gives you the OK. It always helps to have two pairs of eyes looking over a car IMO. He'll see things you didn't and vice versa. For me, I guess it would really come down to the mileage then. Also, if he told you he found a needle bearing when draining the oil then he must be a pretty honest guy to come out and say that. Was the motor making any ticking or knocking noise when you ran it (I know you said it wasn't smoking)?
The motor did have some noise in the top end when running. From what I've been reading the needle bearing was most likely from a rocker. I imagine there are more bearings in the oil pan and probably another rocker with problems. The guy seemed pretty straight forward, the scariest part is he said he bought the car from a wild woman with a mustache... I imagine its lived a rough life lol
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Launching!

alittle1 the hose was maybe 1/2" or smaller I believe.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Teching In

I bet that engine was running at a pretty quick idle. Was that hose from the vacuum booster?? Or possibly, main vacuum block at the firewall??

If he's going to tell all, ask him why its off.

Did you drive that car at all? See how it shifts, brakes, steers.

Good Luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Look at this one.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/1603438446.html
OR,

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/1613451023.html
Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Launching!

I believe I've seen both cars before on craigslist but I remember the first one being higher. The second one is just way out of my price range. I will be checking in on the first car.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Launching!

So any other advice on things to look for? Btw the car has 139k miles.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

if that car was in my area it would have been sold already im not sure what the market out there is but around chicago beat cars are around 4k i would take it for a drive make sure the trans isnt bad check the breaks and listen for any strange noises if nothing sounds too bad id get it and start lookin into the motor. 137000 isnt real high miles for these cars mine has 150000 and runs like a champ.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Everybody that's commented so far I really appreciate it. I'm going to look at the car again probably tomorrow. Wish I had a little more money to spend on one right now. I see some good deals that are just outta my budget. I'm still debating on getting this car or holding off for a while and saving up for a little bit nicer one. I think I'm gonna wind up selling my third gen and putting the $ towards getting a nicer ls1 car. IF I buy this car I'll probably sell the 84 anyway so that I can put some money towards the work it needs done.

Quick Reply: Need some buying advice