New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car hard to get into reverse (T-56)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car hard to get into reverse (T-56)

I pulled the info below from my post on LS1.com:

Well, here is the update guys:

I pulled the solenoid out of the tranny so I could test it. I found that I could push the solenoid down with force from both hands. So, I read in my Haynes manual that if you can move the solenoid with your hands easily, it should be functional, if not, then the solenoid could be serviced (taken apart and checked for anything that maybe blocking it). I had no idea how to do this, so I decided to call around and see about getting a new one. I'll tell you right now, if you car isn't under warranty or have just installed a cam like I have, then you be up ****s creek without a paddle. The metal solenoid portion alone is $300 while the electrical portion is $120!!!

Okay, so buying a new one was out of the question. I went back to my (what I thought broken) solenoid and decided to try another 12V source that I new was good. Understand, that I previously measured the voltage at the connector with my volt meter and it came out to be 11.76 volts. So, I got the power source to my cutout that I have in my console area and hooked it up to the solenoid with a ground. "Clickety Click" goes the solenoid and it functions perfectly.

Okay...so at this point I'm a little . The solenoid works but when connected to the connector (transmission connector) that has power, it does not. I look at the schematic and trace wires but can't really find anything that could be causing this. The only thing I can think of is that the lower voltage at the connector may not be enough to activate it, but 12V and 11.76V isn't that much of a difference, is it?

I'm stumped guys...anyone know what I can look at next. I'm assuming the lower voltage at the connector (11.76V) isn't enough to activate and deactivate. What do you all think? Thanks again for the quick responses.

PS.. I went ahead and put everything together and I can get it into reverse, it just takes two hands to do so.

- Pat
Old 01-03-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's definitely odd... Are you sure that the car is sending power to the solenoid under the appropriate conditions?
Old 01-03-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is getting voltage when the key is turned to the "on" position which should cause the solenoid to activate causing it to become loose allowing me to put the car in reverse. It is very very strange. - Pat
Old 01-03-2004, 09:31 PM
wrencher

Have you eliminated all mechanical possibilitys as being the problem?
Have you ever tried putting it in 1st & then trying reverse?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only thing keeping me from going into reverse is teh solenoid itself....at least I think that is the only thing envolved with the lock out solenoid. Are there any other devices that are connected with the solenoid that allow it to function? Thanks again for the responses. - Pat