Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF ends and intake ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF ends and intake ?'s

I havn't had this t/a very long and I took the maf off to paint the ends.. The guy I bought it from had already put larger maf ends on it.. I noticed a few things when I took it off..
1) When you open it TB to full throttle the TB blade is still at an angle, why is this.
2) right past the TB if you reach inside it's all gunky like thick black oil.
3) It already had a CXI racing lid on it too and it seems like the MAF end is too big for the lid (the lid is cracked I will post a picture I took and also the lid seems to fit on the sides and top but bowes on the bottom leaving a gap, I tried to get a picture of this aswell.
4) one of the sensors on the MAF and one fin were black and gunky, I wiped it off very carefully.

With these larger MAF ends am I going to have the same fitment problem when I get a new lid?
Thanks everyone..
O yeah, Its a 98 T/A M6 with 48,000 miles
Attached Thumbnails MAF ends and intake ?'s-crack.jpg   MAF ends and intake ?'s-gap.jpg  
Old 01-05-2004, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) There is the TB stop mod to adjust this
2) The PCV system allows oil to enter the intake manifold
3) You might want to try a different brand lid I had one that wanted to fit really tight. I replaced it with a TSP lid and it fits great
4) A lot of guys on here report needing to clean thier MAF sensor once in a while

Hope this helps
Jordan
Old 01-05-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2) the are several setups for a catch can mod to help fight this. OR there is the LS6 PCV system if you feel like removing the intake (assuming you have a `98-`00).

At anyrate, the oil in the intake isn't good and in my case cause a lot of carbon build up which lead to detonation. After a top end cleaning and catch can the knock went away.