New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying 02 WS6, any red flags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright y'all, got the carfax today and its an 01 not 02 correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference would be the 02 only wheels and possibility of ls6 block. Anyway, the car was a 3yr corporate lease in Georgia then bought by the lessee which had it up until the beginning of this year where it was titled in OH (I live on the oh/mi border) 4 months ago. so far so good, didn't get a chance to look at it today was real busy but will be driving it before the weekend and ill post some pics...

Which brings me to my next point, when I take this bitch out I will be sure to make some high rev runs (obviously) to see if I get the sticky clutch. after reading some of the stickies this seems to be inevitable problem and with 80k I don't like my chances. reading those stickies was stomach turning because there doesn't seem to any solid solution and I didn't see many guys posting "did the slave or master, etc and 30k later no problems" It might just be me getting **** but I'm not trying to throw a bunch of cash every year at a new clutch (don't get me started on shims)... once again guys thanks for taking the time and ill keep you posted
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Teching In

BTW - I will definitely check out GMVIS, can this be done online?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

01 is almost identical to 02, including the possibility of an LS6 block. The only difference is that 02's have updated piston rings to try to tame the piston slap, and they use updated head gaskets.

I wouldn't let the clutch issue prevent you from getting into and LS1/T56 combination. Although you will likely need a clutch one day, it will last a long time if you don't abuse it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Launching!

I think '01 is like 15% chance of LS6 block vs 25% in '02 or something along those lines. But honestly, that isn't even a criterion I would consider when purchasing one of these vehicles. It makes zero difference.

Originally Posted by whoudi
BTW - I will definitely check out GMVIS, can this be done online?
Only by GM employees, so hopefully you have a friend in the know or a friendly neighborhood dealership...
Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Teching In

new clutch and tick adj slave; problem solved.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JustAGoat
If you didn't carfax spend the money and do one, i was looking at a 98 ws6 with 78,000 miles (this is what the odometer said) with a typical sun fade (which he was right that it was a cali car) otherwize it was in pretty good shape did a carfax and found out it had 146000 3 years ago before the title started reading exempt...

I looked at a 97 Z28 and had a very similar experience. Some shop owner had just rebuilt the engine and done a bunch of other stuff to it, basically a restoration. After asking why, he said it had been parked with the windows down and got rained in. (seats were all torn up, and that was his explanation why)

Checked the carfax and what do you know? The car had 200k miles a few years ago and a reported odometer roll back.

carfax is definitely a must for any potential buyer.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're definitely asking the right questions and it seems that you've already done your homework -- good job!

As for the clutch -- expect the clutch to stick after running through a few gears at full throttle. Don't let that discourage you. Simple fix -- toss an LS7 clutch in there and be done with it. Cost almost the same as the LS1 setup and it drives like the stock clutch, however with a TON more holding power. I had the sticky clutch issue and swapped to an LS7 -- 20K miles on a 600+ rwhp nitrous setup and it's still going strong.