Sponsored by:

True Dual exhaust recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual exhaust recommendations

Hey all,

I've been reading the forums for about two months now. I'm hoping to be purchasing an '02 T/A WS6 M6 within the next year, and am now trying to plan out my exhaust setup. This will be approximately the 4th mod I do, after SFC's, lid, and MGW Shifter. I'm hoping the folks here could give me possible setups or ideas. Keep in mind I'm only moderately experienced with vehicles in general.

What I'm looking for:

A true dual setup, semi-street legal (emissions and sound checks in MN don't seem to strict, but still...), that has a nice exhaust note at idle and WOT. I will most likely take them straight out the back, over the axle. I'd like the wife to be able to ride in it with me, and that means nothing too absurdly loud.

LT Headers (will probably end up with Hooker LT's)

High-flow cats

Catbacks (once again hooker seemed like a good choice)

I am planning on dual cutouts for when I just want to be loud, or for when I start taking it to the track a few years down the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might check out our Texas speed Rumbler X True Dual System!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=56

You'll have to have an exhaust shop (or do it yourself) add some cats onto the system for what you've described, but other than that it sounds basically like what you're looking for! They are intended to slip-fit right onto the Hooker headers you're considering (or Pacesetter, TSP header, JetHot, etc), so adding some cats right there won't be too much of a headache!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the quick reply, Matt.

I've read some reviews on these forums about the TSP kit, and am pretty sure I will be ordering from you guys when I finally do this. I have at this point two more questions:

How much of a pain in my *** would it be to have these run out the back (I'd prefer to do over the axle, to try and get as much ground clearance as possible), instead of dumped before the axle?
If even possible, what would be the optimal placement of a set of e-cutouts on these?

Excluding the welding, I was going to try to do all this myself, with the help of some friends/family.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

It probably wouldn't be worth it to put an e-cutout on a set of true duals. The mufflers that come with them are all pretty much a straight-through design.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jasmotron

How much of a pain in my *** would it be to have these run out the back (I'd prefer to do over the axle, to try and get as much ground clearance as possible), instead of dumped before the axle.
To go over the axle, you will have to buy a panhard relocation bar.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Thank you for the quick reply, Matt.

I've read some reviews on these forums about the TSP kit, and am pretty sure I will be ordering from you guys when I finally do this. I have at this point two more questions:

How much of a pain in my *** would it be to have these run out the back (I'd prefer to do over the axle, to try and get as much ground clearance as possible), instead of dumped before the axle?
If even possible, what would be the optimal placement of a set of e-cutouts on these?

Excluding the welding, I was going to try to do all this myself, with the help of some friends/family.
A huge and very expensive pain in the ***. It'll double the cost and then some for labor.

I'll be ordering a TSP system soon. I'm tired of the cutouts. They were fun for a few years, but now I'm ready for something different.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You will have to find a good exhaust that you can trust to fabricate the pieces to the back. It's not a real easy thing to do at home, unless you've got a pipe bender and plenty of pipe stock to make what you need.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

My buddy just put the texas-speed rumbler on his car and sounds awesome!!

But.... If you want ur wife to ride in the car im not sure. This exhaust setup is great, but for me its really load and sounds like a race car all the time. Basically it sounds like open headers all the time.

But if you want a mean sounding car this is the way to go. You may want to try www.ls1sounds.com for some soundclips.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah its really loud. Everyone i know complains about it that isnt a car person. I love it.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
You will have to find a good exhaust that you can trust to fabricate the pieces to the back. It's not a real easy thing to do at home, unless you've got a pipe bender and plenty of pipe stock to make what you need.
Matt, since you're keeping an eye on this thread, I have a couple questions.

Are there any weight savings over an off-road Y-pipe and cat-back system?

Can you at TSP make a system that uses more mufflers? Like, a couple straight-through mufflers? Are there many people who run four mufflers? Will that hurt power and weight savings drastically?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Matt, since you're keeping an eye on this thread, I have a couple questions.

Are there any weight savings over an off-road Y-pipe and cat-back system?

Can you at TSP make a system that uses more mufflers? Like, a couple straight-through mufflers? Are there many people who run four mufflers? Will that hurt power and weight savings drastically?

Thanks!
I'll have to weigh a true dual system and a ORY/Catback and see...my gut is that it will be very close on weight though, with the true duals maybe saving a few pounds due to not going out the back! The only way we offer it is with the two muffler as shown on the website...no custom setups are offered currently.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks all for the responses. After reading some of these responses and talking with a few people, it seems TD's aren't the way to go for me. At least not for a while

I'm now leaning towards a Borla or a Hooker catback, catted y, and some LT's. Thinking of skipping the cutout. Maybe add it in later. Any thoughts on this setup over TD's? Would I notice much of a difference between the two with just boltons? (I keep reading that if one is planning on heads/cam that TD's are the way to go, but am not sure of this, either.)
Old 05-05-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a hooker catback and love the sound. not too loud not too quiet. my wife and 6 yr old enjoy riding in it too. Only reason to do the cutout is for power gains....
Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks all for the responses. After reading some of these responses and talking with a few people, it seems TD's aren't the way to go for me. At least not for a while

I'm now leaning towards a Borla or a Hooker catback, catted y, and some LT's. Thinking of skipping the cutout. Maybe add it in later. Any thoughts on this setup over TD's? Would I notice much of a difference between the two with just boltons? (I keep reading that if one is planning on heads/cam that TD's are the way to go, but am not sure of this, either.)
I have a pacesetter y pipe with no cats to a hooker exhaust. Sounds really good and has a strong sound. IMO I like it a lot better then the TD's. My set up is loud when your on it and not to bad when idoling. If you want extremly loud go TD. If you want loud with streetablity go with the y no cats and a hooker.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

I have a Loud Mouth 2, Which sounds loud and aggressive when you give it some, But quiet at idle, Think if i lose the cat it should be much louder at idle.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

You either want to go LT's, ORY, Cutout, catback. Or LTs to TDs. I have the first set up, its nice because I can close my cutout when I need to quiet it down but honestly its open 95% of the time, only time I really close it is if a cop is next to me at a light.

But I have a set of TD's going on in the next couple of weeks. My g/f doesn't mind the sound just doesnt like the smell but she seldom rides in my car.

IMO I think you will want to go the TD route in the end because the it sounds better than any catback will and you will have better power gains. You may have clearance issues but just be careful over speed bumps.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:01 AM
12 Second Club

Bump!

What muffler sounds the best between the three TSP offers when you buy the true dual system?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hate to bring up an old thread but I am looking for a shop around DFW that does similar work on duals to the pics here http://xhausted.com/

I am not close enough to Amarillo to use them so if anyone knows a reputable shop (especially a sponsor) than please let me know.

I have duals now but want to extend it out the back.

Last edited by 94form2000z; 10-19-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

yo matt
what kind of mufflers can we pick out for the rumblers
Old 10-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Launching!

If money is not a issue id go with kooks longtubes and true dual exhaust.

Quick Reply: True Dual exhaust recommendations