New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, inside the cab of the car it just isn't loud enough for me. It looks like I'll need to go TD's to get the sound I'm looking for, but I don't want to **** off my apartment complex. I got under my car today and couldn't see if my muffler was flowmaster or not... all I could find was a random number posted on the bottom, so now I don't even know if it's really flowmasters.

So, when I do my catback I'm going to have LT's and ORY with no cats installed roughly around the same time if I do keep the thought of Magnaflow. Either way LT's and ORY will be put on the car, but now I'm unsure what I want to do as far as muffler or if I should do TD's... so back to the drawing board I guess.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,202 Posts

^
Sounds like you need to figure out what muffler you have first. But I can tell you this, Flowmaster is not quiet, so if you have one now than your problem is the cats and manifolds, not the muffler. Only thing louder without ditching the cats would be no muffler at all.

The ORY and headers will make almost any system seem loud, other than stock or SLP dual/dual (these will both be very tame even with headers/ORY).

IMO, true duals are the best option for sound and power if you don't mind the price.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
all I could find was a random number posted on the bottom, so now I don't even know if it's really flowmasters.
What was the number? 43083? You could post a pic too, Flowmasters are pretty easy to spot.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only number I was able to find was 84222153, I searched both Flowmaster and Magnaflow and couldn't find it on either. Googling the number doesn't give me anything at all, so I'm thinking whoever installed it on the car may have put it in with the brand facing up instead of the ground... I have no idea though, I'll grab some pics of it if the weathers nice enough tomorrow and show you guys.

I thought a TD set up was normally cheaper than a catback if I did the install myself.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I thought a TD set up was normally cheaper than a catback if I did the install myself.
Only if you dump it under the car. True dual systems that exit in the stock location get expensive. Then again, there are some catbacks that are stupid high in price, so I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Launching!

I have Magnaflow and like it. Got their complete catback system for $370 shipped from a vendor here on ls1tech. I don't feel like paying more than that for a complete catback exhaust. Has a very nice idle (definitely louder than stock) and is not loud under normal driving conditions though there is a small drone. When you get on it you do notice it. My car is a daily driver street car, I'm not trying to get unwanted attention or **** neighbors off. I also plan on adding LT's and a cam down the road, so I hope the Magnaflow will tone them down some for the street. I did have some fitment issues with the tips, but it was nothing a couple quick cuts and welds couldn't take care of.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty happy with my magnaflow catback. it is pretty quiet though. sounds great, but i wish it were a bit more louder. i thought about ditching it for some TSP tru duals w/ sweet thunder mufflers.. but i might also just ditch it out for some GMMG.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Only if you dump it under the car. True dual systems that exit in the stock location get expensive. Then again, there are some catbacks that are stupid high in price, so I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
Ah I gotcha, I was planning on dumping it before the axle's. I've listened to probably every sound clip on ls1sounds and fell in love with the magnaflow sound, but I need to find someone around me that has one so I can see how it sounds in the cab, videos just don't do them justice. I don't think there's a local auto club around here that isn't filled with anything besides rice burners.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Launching!

I've listened to probably every sound clip on ls1sounds and fell in love with the magnaflow sound, but I need to find someone around me that has one so I can see how it sounds in the cab, videos just don't do them justice.
It has a small drone at cruising speeds, but it doesn't bother me. Once you get up around 4500 RPM it gets pretty loud in the cabin. I'm sure it's not near as loud as a setup with LT's or some other exhausts, but it's respectable. Some videos do better justice than others. I've listened to some that were spot on and some that are way off.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
It has a small drone at cruising speeds, but it doesn't bother me. Once you get up around 4500 RPM it gets pretty loud in the cabin. I'm sure it's not near as loud as a setup with LT's or some other exhausts, but it's respectable.
I will be putting LT's on around the same time I put the TD's in so it should be a huge increase in sound for me. I'm fine with some drone though it doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited by DukesOfHazard; 05-12-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, if anyone wants pics of my exhaust to help determine what it is, the thread is here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-not-sure.html
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I can tell you with 100% certainty that what you have pictured in that thread is NOT a Flowmaster. They don't look anything like that. And the part number for the Flowmaster crossflow that would fit your car would be 43083 or 53083.

Also, your entire catback is not stock. There is some sort of resonator in the I-pipe (might be an old SLP Loud Mouth resonator, before they had LM1 and LM2 with swapable resonators) that is not stock (you could cut that out for more sound), and the over-the-axle pipe has a different hanger from stock, plus there would not be a clamp there on the stock system.

Overall, I can see why you think it's too quiet.... a muffler plus a resonator on a stock manifold/cats car. That's going to be very quiet.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya after getting under there and checking on the exhaust now it looks like I have a leaky pinion seal.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

i have the magnaflow cb, lt's and ory and it sounds damn good. at idle and normal driving its not to loud but you can definitely tell its there and at wot its loud as ****, i was in a tunnel the other day and got in it with the t-tops off and it was hurtin my ears, but it sounded sweet.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a flowmaster catback on my car along with long tubes and a empty/catted y pipe. I hate the way it sounds. Its so quiet you can't even hear the cam. Its really no louder than stock. Imo, flowmaster on a fbody are a waste. Its not very loud (not much louder than a magnaflow if at all), definantly not the best flowing, and it doesn't have that deep throaty tone, it seems more raspy and unrefined than anything. Just kinda sounds like it belongs on a truck. If I had to decribe it, I'd say its a quiter version of a LM. I've had 4 fbodys now and every single one I've ever owned, when I got them they had a flowmaster. They're over rated to people that don't know better. My car will be getting a GMMG just like my other cars did. As far as the magnaflow goes, I have a buddy that has long tubes, ory, and magnaflow kit and its sounds great but it just doesn't seem very loud. Don't know what to tell you other than my own opinion which isn't worth much and that you need to first find out what you have before you decide on something because you may already have it and just not know it. Don't fall for a brand name, search, listen and find what you like.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Its really no louder than stock. Imo, flowmaster on a fbody are a waste. Its not very loud (not much louder than a magnaflow if at all)
I disagree. Flowmaster is very much louder than stock, and definitely louder than Magnaflow. I've gone from stock to each of those mufflers on different LS1 cars.

They're over rated to people that don't know better.
Again, I disagree. You can't over or under rate sound. It's all subjective. If you like the sound then it's an excellent choice, and for max power you can always run a cutout.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I disagree. Flowmaster is very much louder than stock, and definitely louder than Magnaflow. I've gone from stock to each of those mufflers on different LS1 cars.

Again, I disagree. You can't over or under rate sound. It's all subjective. If you like the sound then it's an excellent choice, and for max power you can always run a cutout.

To each their own, and I'm glad we can all express our opinion but I just don't think they have the badass factor needed for the image a late model f-bdoy deserves. I don't think the magnaflow does either for that matter. I have a flowmaster on my car I dislike so much, I'll cut it off and you can have it. But then again, thats why they make more than one muffler. Everyone likes something different. I like the gmmg sound.

Op, I looked at the pictures on your other thread and to me...it almost looks like a dynomax super turbo muffler on your car with some sort of resonator/bullet style muffler welded in your I pipe.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hodge9386
i have the magnaflow cb, lt's and ory and it sounds damn good. at idle and normal driving its not to loud but you can definitely tell its there and at wot its loud as ****, i was in a tunnel the other day and got in it with the t-tops off and it was hurtin my ears, but it sounded sweet.
That's what I'm hoping for once I add LT's and a cam. I'll probably be running high flow cats though.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I just don't think they have the badass factor needed for the image a late model f-bdoy deserves.
Guess the "badass factor" is subjective too. Granted, the Flowmaster 80 series crossflow on my '02 Z doesn't sound nearly as badass as the dual 40 series Flowmasters on my Nova, but that's also because the Z still has manifolds, cats, and a Y-pipe. But I think it's a nice sound for an otherwise stock daily driver.

Quick Reply: magnaflow?