New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fans fail, po480,481 codes, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fans fail, po480,481 codes, help!

The cooling fans wont come on on my 02 ss. I get a ses light for a po480 po481 (fans #1,#2,#3 relay circuit), relays are good, the fans will come on when i jumper them. Was told that it could be an ect sensor problem but not for sure where it is. Theres one on the head but i was told that just sends to the dash guage not the pcm. Its a h/c car with a th400 and stall, had the mail tune done by horsepower house, but its getting dyno tuned friday by speedy dyno so i need my fans! If i cant get it solved i might just put a 50 amp switch and run it straight to the fans. also could the mail tune have something to do with it?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coolant temperature sensor is located near the front of the driver's side cylinder head and is very easy to reach/change!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will an ect sensor cause these codes? I have heard that if you unplug the ect then the fans will kick on after a few seconds which i did and they didnt. So no luck. if i manually wire them for a switch how many amps do they use and should i do both fans?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CTS does "talk" to the PCM. Try turning on your A/C and both fans SHOULD turn on...

Yes the tune could be the culprit if the commands to turn the fans on/off were monkeyed with.....

Quick Reply: Cooling fans fail, po480,481 codes, help!