Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just a few ls1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question just a few ls1 questions

alright i just bought my first ls1 its a 98 camaro z28 with alot of miles 188xxx but dont get me wrong it runs good like the last owners took enough care of it i would say but i just want to know what would be some things i should do to the motor to make sure it last even longer before i change it out, but can i get headers n small bolt on's wit out actually killin it???? if so like what???
Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I would do all routine maintenance like changing the spark plugs and wires.... replacing all the fluids, and stuff like that. Adding headers/y-pipe, lid, and a cat-back wont harm the motor so those are good mods to start with. You can actually do spark plugs/wires when you do the headers since they will be easily accessible with the manifolds off.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

should i do msd wires & etc or the oem wont make a difference??, also iwant tru duals dropd be4 the axel but whats best for performance?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

You can do the MSD wires or the red GMPP ones, both will work fine but personally I'd go with the GM ones. TSP makes a bolt in true dual kit that's pretty cheap and makes good power, it's not the best fit but you get what you pay for. Also don't forget a fuel filter when you do the other regular maintenance, maybe run some seafoam through it first.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
You can do the MSD wires or the red GMPP ones, both will work fine but personally I'd go with the GM ones. TSP makes a bolt in true dual kit that's pretty cheap and makes good power, it's not the best fit but you get what you pay for. Also don't forget a fuel filter when you do the other regular maintenance, maybe run some seafoam through it first.
ok seafoam i will look that up but im going to choose the msd's because im goin to eventually want them when i upgrade every like new motor, h/c etc......
Old 05-29-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

just be careful when modding cars, more hp= more strain on parts. so if your trying to save the motor for awhile them i wouldnt go too mod happy.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
just be careful when modding cars, more hp= more strain on parts. so if your trying to save the motor for awhile them i wouldnt go too mod happy.
yea im going to just tune it up n get her to breathe better then ill mod more wen i do a swap for the motor
Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

i wouldnt worry about the motor that much besides the maintenance, like stated above. The rest of the drivetrain would worry me. 188,000 miles on a 7.5 would scary me more or even that kind of miles on a trans. I would change the fluids in the rear and the trans aswell. Mod wise, basic bolt on's should be fine. If you are an auto i wouldnt suggest a converter until you upgrade the trans and the rear. Have fun with her man!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
i wouldnt worry about the motor that much besides the maintenance, like stated above. The rest of the drivetrain would worry me. 188,000 miles on a 7.5 would scary me more or even that kind of miles on a trans. I would change the fluids in the rear and the trans aswell. Mod wise, basic bolt on's should be fine. If you are an auto i wouldnt suggest a converter until you upgrade the trans and the rear. Have fun with her man!
yea i have a A4 my 2nd gear takes a lil to kick in but when it does its hard but im not to sure because i kno i need a tranny mount tho....
Old 05-30-2010, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dont z20h8
ok seafoam i will look that up but im going to choose the msd's because im goin to eventually want them when i upgrade every like new motor, h/c etc......
I personally would not seafoam a motor with that many miles. Sometimes the built up gunk from all the miles is actually preventing leaks, etc.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zracer323
I personally would not seafoam a motor with that many miles. Sometimes the built up gunk from all the miles is actually preventing leaks, etc.
alright
Old 06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Seafoam is still a good idea. If cleaning it out causes leaks, seals needed to be replaced anyways. If you don't want to mess with that, you can still run it through the fuel system and intake.