what is needed to do a wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a thread for ya... https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...e-bruised.html
Old 06-02-2010 | 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
They have a lot more power and work done to the cars then I do. I don't want to do all that just yet
Old 06-03-2010 | 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

A lot of incorrect information in this thread.
Like, a mega-****-ton of bad information.
Old 06-03-2010 | 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Want to give us the correct information?
Old 06-03-2010 | 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Like what? I see people stating what their cars are doing with their mods.
Old 06-03-2010 | 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Normally the idea is to keep the wheels on the ground, but hell throw 500 lbs of bricks in the truck drop the clutch and try to not catch the driveshaft or clutch as it comes through the floor. We used to make a old chevy single cab dually with a 350 and 4 speed hook on a trailer with a skidsteer and I could pull the front end 10 ft off the ground, from the bottom of the tire but that was back when I did alotta **** I shouldn't have.
Old 06-03-2010 | 05:50 PM

This thread is a waste of time... if you want to ride a wheelie buy a sportbike...
Old 06-03-2010 | 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
Normally the idea is to keep the wheels on the ground, but hell throw 500 lbs of bricks in the truck drop the clutch and try to not catch the driveshaft or clutch as it comes through the floor. We used to make a old chevy single cab dually with a 350 and 4 speed hook on a trailer with a skidsteer and I could pull the front end 10 ft off the ground, from the bottom of the tire but that was back when I did alotta **** I shouldn't have.
Yeah I know their meant to be on the ground. It's not like I'm trying to do wheelies in every run. As I stated before I would just like to catch it at least once on cam. And I'm not talking geting the wheels a couple feet high, just a couple inches to a foot would be fine for me.

Originally Posted by 06JonMoss
This thread is a waste of time... if you want to ride a wheelie buy a sportbike...
Don't post in here and waste you're time then.
And doing wheelies in bike is more of the norm and doing in in a car, personally would look way better then doing it on a bike
Old 06-03-2010 | 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well you realy added alot of correct info

Originally Posted by 06JonMoss
Great first post...
Old 06-03-2010 | 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

You guys **** and moan a lot, too lazy to find it yourself?
It's been discussed in many other threads.

You don't need a transbrake, and you don't need 500whp.
What the **** were those guys even talking about.

You need to lose weight in the front.
Going skinny up front is a good start.
Lighter brakes, get rid of the sway bar and any other **** you can.
You can relocate the battery.
bassically get all the **** you don't need off of the front.

Now, you don't need mega power but you gotta get into the thick of your powerband.
A bigger stall is a must.
4k+.

You need to have a rigid suspension setup, you don't want that **** to unload too fast.
Pretty much full suspension.
And so you don't light up the tires get as much sticky meat under the back as you can.

And as far as power?
You can hang the tires at close to 400RWHP provided everything else is right and you hook.

To the guys complaining (not the OP), do a ****** search instead of crying.
I can understand the thread being started, but if someone does not go into tons of detail on their first post, it's probably because this **** has been posted on several occasions. There was a few guys who did post up what was pretty much needed already and you guys just looked past their posts.
******* retarded if you ask me.
Read the god damn thread.

-Matt
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always though people wanted to avoid the wheelies...
Old 06-05-2010 | 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
...I doubt you need 500RWHP, b/c Evolution has a new stang running 10:50's on a 150 shot and it picks the wheels up pretty good...
First off that's a little bit different car so the same things may not apply. But you say that you don't need 500rwhp because they are doing? You realize that the new mustangs are putting 365 to the wheels stock. So with the few mods they have on it and a 150 shot. That's well over 500rwhp in a manual car with a ton a gear, slicks and a rear that will hold it.

I agree that you don't need 500rwhp but your logic is flawed. A solid 400-425 with a big stall will do it just fine. If you set the car up just right you could probably do it with a lot less but it won't be the best setup for going fast, just good wheelies.
Old 06-05-2010 | 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your going to need a good suspension setup front AND rear, sticky tires, a trans brake in that 4L60, more stall and a HELLUVA lot more power than what you have now.
EDIT: And taking some weight out would help some too.
Let me eleborate some on the suspension. You need the rear hard and the front soft. Not having much travel also helps but will hurt on the landing...been there and done that. I doubt you need 500RWHP, b/c Evolution has a new stang running 10:50's on a 150 shot and it picks the wheels up pretty good using just suspension pieces, gears, slicks/skinnies, and probably a 6 grand clutch dump.
So your gonna need either a trans brake or swap to a stick. If you dont know, a trans brake is on a buttom and when pressed it locks the trans in 1st and reverse to hold the car still, when the button is released it is just like dumping a clutch with a stick. They are AWESOME but will find weak parts very quickly.
Originally Posted by vetteboy99
You are gona need at least 500rwhp, some very sticky tires, and a better suspension to do a wheelie in a camaro. O and one more thing, you have to have a EXCELENT launch.
This is my reply to both of ^^^^ these statements..
Originally Posted by jugz ss
Theirs no way it can be done with the stock 10 bolt?
Yes, you can.

Here is something that will make you wonder for a second..

My last TA cut low-mid 1.6 short times raising both fronts about a six inches off the ground.. The car made right around 440/410 through a 4400 stalled A4.. Stock suspension

Current car.. Cuts bottom 1.5s-high 1.4s.. Car makes right at 395/375 through a 4000 stalled A4.. Full suspension.. Won't lift either tire, not even an inch off the ground.

It ALL in the suspension. I have seen 475Rwhp stalled A4s running 6s in the 1/8 not lift the tires and I have seen full bolt on 360Rwhp cars running high 7s in the 1/8 lift them 4-8 inches.
Power has a very small roll in it.
Old 06-05-2010 | 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

get as much weight off the car(especially off the front). i'd say !front sway bar, !AIR/EGR, skinny's. good tire in the back. good suspension set-up. you could do it with 400hp, which means cam-only, just depends on the rest of the set-up. hell, if the rest of the car was set-up right i'd bet you could do it bolt-on only.
Old 06-08-2010 | 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzm2...os=_CPL1X-9H3E
Old 06-08-2010 | 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

^ Dat is a wheelie. . . . LMAO

Nice setup on the TA.
Old 06-08-2010 | 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Although Matt's post above seems a bit angry, he does offer useful information.

In short, your car should make plenty of power to pull a wheel as long as the other components are setup properly. This would include a great tire, a suspension setup that sits soft in the rear and mostly anything you can do to cut weight in the front will help you.

Can it be done on the stock 10 bolt -- absolutely. That being said, I wouldn't expect to continually put that type of stress on that rear without eventually running into an issue.
Old 06-08-2010 | 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
Here is something that will make you wonder for a second..

My last TA cut low-mid 1.6 short times raising both fronts about a six inches off the ground.. The car made right around 440/410 through a 4400 stalled A4.. Stock suspension
You cant be serious...6" off the ground is not even considered a wheelie yet LMAO
Old 06-08-2010 | 02:44 PM
On The Tree

You cant be serious...6" off the ground is not even considered a wheelie yet LMAO
****. I wouldn't mind doing at least that.
Old 06-08-2010 | 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Although Matt's post above seems a bit angry, he does offer useful information.

In short, your car should make plenty of power to pull a wheel as long as the other components are setup properly. This would include a great tire, a suspension setup that sits soft in the rear and mostly anything you can do to cut weight in the front will help you.

Can it be done on the stock 10 bolt -- absolutely. That being said, I wouldn't expect to continually put that type of stress on that rear without eventually running into an issue.
You dont want it to be soft in the rear. That will decrease the load on the rear tires

Quick Reply: what is needed to do a wheelie