New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro/Trans Am in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the amount it would cost to get 4 new high performance snow/ice tires and a set of rims you can buy a beater, and save your car from the salty roads.

took my car out of storage and had a snow storm in may, couldnt go anywhere. although i did have summer tires on.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Blizzacks, 6 speed, traction control, and a bit of snow driving experience!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justinflora
for the amount it would cost to get 4 new high performance snow/ice tires and a set of rims you can buy a beater, and save your car from the salty roads.

took my car out of storage and had a snow storm in may, couldnt go anywhere. although i did have summer tires on.

Registration, insurance, upkeep, storage.....SNOW TIRES.

It can be done, if there is a ton of snow, call out of work...no need to risk it.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Alright, so I'd say my decision would be to get an extra set of wheels for putting blizzak's on. but is rust underneath the car a pretty decently big problem with ls1 camaro's? cuz this one guy with an 8000 mile 2000 WS6 seems to be having a hell of a time with rust: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ould-i-go.html
Old 06-15-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blizzaks kick *** in the snow. as for the salt, wash it regularly or get an undercoating. i drove my old 3rd gen constantly in the Iowa winters. still no rust.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

F-Body's straight suck in bad weather period, and as for VW's......Gay! Get the Firebird and a 500 dollar beater for the winter
Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HellsZ28
There, I edited it for ya. But seriously though; they're not too bad. People on vwvortex say the VR6 can handle a little over 400 wheel horsepower on stock internals, which is pretty damn good for a 2.8l engine.
Just a thought, if you're worried about driving in the snow, 400whp and FWD probably wouldn't be great in snow either. I think the issue here is mostly keeping the car in good shape. It doesn't snow much here, but if it did, I wouldn't drive my Z in it, regardless of what tires I had and how much ballast I had in the back.

Seriously, just go grab an old accord or something for $800, only have liability insurance on it, leave it stock, and have that and the car you really want.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by justinflora
I put about $850 into my winter wheel/tire setup, that was all brand new stuff though (mounted, balanced and shipped to my door). Would have been much less had I found some used 16" steel V6 wheels...might have been as little as $600 for the whole deal then.

I did this because my '02 Z *is* my beater. It's only mission in life is to keep my '98 Z and Nova away from bad weather and daily driving abuse.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Teching In

HORRIBLE IDEA, i agree with everybody. For one the salt will mess up your ride and another with the low clearance and horrible grip its not a good idea lol. buy a cheap 4x4
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by HellsZ28
Alright, so I'd say my decision would be to get an extra set of wheels for putting blizzak's on. but is rust underneath the car a pretty decently big problem with ls1 camaro's? cuz this one guy with an 8000 mile 2000 WS6 seems to be having a hell of a time with rust: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ould-i-go.html
Rust being a "problem" is dependant on your intentions for the car. Yes, if you drive the car in salty conditions, it will rust. Even just driving in the rain will cause rust on bare metal surfaces (like exhaust, bolts, axle, driveshift [if steel], etc.). Now, this rust will be mostly cosmetic for a long time. My '02 car has seen 9 Chicago winters and 97k miles, and yes it has some underbody rust. None of it is serious though, at least not yet, and not anywhere near the point of things falling apart.

On the other hand, if you want a show quality car, NEVER expose it to road salt, ever. If you can, keep it out of the rain too. The less water it's exposed to, the better.

Quick Reply: Camaro/Trans Am in the snow?