New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro/Trans Am in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro/Trans Am in the snow?

I plan on picking up a 1998+ Z28 soon (with the 6 speed), and I was wondering how/what people do to make it through snowy winters. I currently live in Minnesota and drive a 2000 pontiac grand prix gt (first car) with all-season tires; and I've only been stuck once in the snow. The only reason I got stuck that one time was because I was extremely toasted and drove straight into a ditch thinking there was a driveway. I've driven in snow that's up to the front bumper on my car and never had a problem.

BUT ANYWHO, what do you guys do to make it through snow? Will expensive (and well rated) all-season tires and two 100 lb sandbags in the back be enough to get me through a snow storm?
If I do need an extra set of wheels; then is there a certain brand/size of wheels I should get for putting snow tires on? I really don't want to have to get a second pair of wheels or tires.

My main worry is RUST. RUST IS ANNOYING. Do 4th generation Camaro's rust pretty bad underneath? I know they don't rust on the panels since the panels are made of some sort of plastic... but what about everything underneath? This guy has an 8000 mile WS6, and he seems to have a LOT of rust. https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ould-i-go.html

Last edited by HellsZ28; 06-15-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont try lol, get yourself a cheap DD
Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Here is what I do for Chicago winters (which have produced about 50-60"+ of snow in the last couple of years).

- 2 50lb bags of gravel in the trunk.
- 1/2 tank of gas minimum (for extra weight)
- 225/55/16 Blizzak WS-60 ice & snow tires (these are the most aggressive ice/snow tire you can run without going to a studded tire)
- Spare set of 16x7.5" wheels for the snow tires (the skinnier the wheels and tires the better, since they will concentrate the weight of the car into a smaller patch and cut through the snow better)

This was an unstoppable combination for me. Never got stuck, never lost control. I could plow through snow that was up to the fog lights in parking lots, and never got stuck on the road even with heavily packed snow and ice that hadn't been plowed yet. Also, had no trouble keeping up a decent pace with FWD and 4WD cars/trucks on the expressway even in heavy snow storms.

I've learned that traction control is not always your friend. In some instances it helps, other times I've learned it's better to keep it off.

This was all with a 2.73 geared A4 car though. I cannot speak for the 6-speeds.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drive my 6 speed car in Pittsburgh winters and have only got stuck once. I run a 200 pound bucket of wheel weights in the trunk and OE 10spokes with 275 all seasons on all 4. I got stuck during that blizzard this past winter when we got 21 inches of snow. Now there was only 6" on the ground when I got stuck, and they closed the road ahead of me. I was in the middle of a long steep hill and had to turn around and go back, well I tried and couldn't make it. I'm sure I could have made it with snow tires.

If you are a smart driver they aren't that bad really. Hills are really the only downfall. Wide open parking lots with 3" of snow on the ground is a complete blast. There are usually a bunch circles in our parking lot at work from everyone when they get to work.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Hey, my parents live in Forest Lake!!!!
My car is up there sometimes.

Honestly, get a daily driver and put it up for the winter. Especially, a 6 speed.

You can sandbag and put snow tires all you want but it still handles like ****. I went 2 months of driving my camaro in the snow up there, and that was driving from Forest Lake to St. Paul and back everyday, and it wasn't any fun. Spun out plenty of times and got stuck about 3 times. After almost getting into a head-on collision on 97, I stopped driving it and got a daily driver/ winter beater Honda Accord. Soooooo much better in snow. Inclines are almost impossible in an F-Body without momentum. Plus, you don't want the salt to eat up your undercarriage. It'll destroy the bottom of the car.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default snow

get a 4x4
Old 06-14-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive never had good luck in snow with RWD cars but alot here say fbodies with good tires and adding some weight helps big time. fortunately winters here arent terrible but i still get stuck every time it snows lol.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drove my 401rwhp 6 speed threw 2 chicago winters. got stuck twice. both time were when I didnt have any sand bags in the back. if the car is already rusted and you cant afford a beater with a heater it can be done. just get some cheapo rims w/ some 245's and good luck. on the plus side it, you will learn your clutch points fast
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

This winter I got mine stuck when a storm snuck up (no extra weight and a set of riken raptors lol). Luckily I was able to back it down the little hill, turn around, and get it to where my dad works. It was not a fun experience. I drive my car all winter, but now if there is even a chance of snow I borrow somebody elses car for the day.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. I'd rather not have to deal with having two cars (z28 & beater). And as for driving it in the winter, I guess the undercarriage is very likely to rust to hell, so I wouldn't want to drive the Z28 in the winter. I'm a college student, and if I did get two cars, pretty much all my money would be going towards cars. Maybe once I get this college crap out of the way I'll get a Z28, but for now, it would probably be a good idea for me to hold off getting a Z28.

I think I'm just going to get a 2000+ GTI VR6 for now, since they're cheap, FWD, easy to "pimp out," and have lots of potential.

gti's look hella clean with a badgeless grill

Last edited by HellsZ28; 06-14-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by HellsZ28
easy to make look badass
Clearly, everyone's definition of "badass" is different.

I'd say to skip the import and get the Camaro though.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM

There, I edited it for ya. But seriously though; they're not too bad. People on vwvortex say the VR6 can handle a little over 400 wheel horsepower on stock internals, which is pretty damn good for a 2.8l engine.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:54 PM

i guess my new question is: do ls1 camaro's rust pretty bad underneath in snowy areas?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Launching!

i painted the underneath of my car with that hammerrite spray paint and drive it all winter cause i didnt have room for a daily, put standbags and had bald 275s and still got threw all winter, with good snow tires and weight u'd be fine just keep on top of it with the paint and cleaning the car and VW's are GAY!!!!!!!!!!!! way to many friends loving those gay things putting RWD ofsset on a fwd car
Old 06-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove all last winter in my car with 150 pounds of sandbags in the trunk and some BFG G-force Super Sports on the rear wheels. Not all seasons but i still got around fine. And we just had one of the worst winters of the last 50 years. Id say go for it. Also i have my car on a lift at work almost every day, and i have no signs of rust underneath from all the snow and salt.

I agree with not getting a VW. Theyre a bitch to work on and definitely not as cool or as fun as a RWD V8 in my opinion. LS1>VR6
Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Go for it. I live in wyoming where it snows for 9 months out of the year (literally) and after a little bit I got used to driver my m6 99 Z in the snow. And I just started driving. For weight in the back all I had was a small 10" sub box and my carharrt stuff incase I were to get stuck in a snow storm. My car got stuck once because of snow and that was plain stupidity on my behalf. My car also has no signs of rust scuh as NastyNates, and for a long time my car was a southern owned car until I bought it from my brother in law.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

If you decide to get one, just be careful. That's the best way to get around here in a car like that. When it snows, go really, really slow. These *** ends like to walk out on ya. That's how I did a 360 on 97 right before 61. Was doing 20 and shifted 1st to 2nd and spun the tires and slid out on me. And mine is an auto.

However, how many F-bodies do you see driving around here in the winter?
Their is a reason for that.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM

You know, I think I might just go with a Z28 afterall. So you guys really don't think rust is a problem? This guy seems to be having a hell of a time with rust, and that's with a 2000 WS6 with 8000 miles.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ould-i-go.html

Rust usually doesn't bother me, but damn, this guy seems to be having a hell of a time with rust on his 8000 mile WS6. Nothing annoys me more than rust.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Launching!

^^^If his location is correct and he is still in IN, then the rust wouldn't suprise me. When I lived in Southern IL it wasn't uncommon for a 6yr old+ car to have rust. We had a couple 90's T-birds and one was beat to hell and had no rust on it and always set outside, and my moms nice maroon one was always garaged and taken care of and by 30k miles the bottoms of the doors were rusting out badly. If IN is like IL they use lots of salt on the roads when ever they get the slightest bit of snow/ice.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

or just dont drive it in the slow. i live in mn and you dont drive in winter cuz of salt not the snow.

Quick Reply: Camaro/Trans Am in the snow?