Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me! 5.3 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me! 5.3 turbo

I am a 19 year old, who was born into a Saab Family.... I have owned many Saabs ranging from 105BHP to 500BHP est. I have basic fabrication skills, and have done what I have wanted to do when I have Wanted to do it!

My most Recent purchase was a 90 Mazda Miata, which I Pieced together a turbo kit for, with alot of spare Saab parts.

Now, I have been a Hotrod/Car Craft subscriber for the last 7 years, yet I have only owned 1 American RWD V8 powered vehicle, a 87 Firebird with a 145Bhp 305.

One of my Dream cars is a Buick GN, because I have a Like turbo cars Add Boost, and fuel, and go Fast.... I Have been attracted to the 5.3 ever since reading About the Ford Fairmont In Hot Rod magazine so long ago. '

I would like to Do my own 5.3 turbo built, however i do not know what i want to Put the Power-plant in. I Like the styling of the 80s Monte Carlo SS, But Having ridden in one, the handling Leaves much to be desired... I Want to be able to pull a decent Drag time, and Be able to hold my own on a Autox course!

I thought about a 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird V6, 5 speed to Swap to 5.3/t56, and I was wondering about the compatability....

On that note, how hard is it to make the Monte Carlo Handle worth a damn, Or is there another platform I am totally overlooking.

Any thoughts, or Suggestions would be appriciated!
JP
Old 10-18-2011, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

there are a lot of well handling g bodies out there you will have to spend the money getting the front right i would suggest putting in a rack and pinion set up tubular arms a 4-link and some traction bars sway bar upgrade and polly bushings through out. and for power take a look at this http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...lock_for_3252/
Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put it in your Miata. There is a kit for it...
Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4th gen camaro its already setup to handle well or go fast in a straight line. And the v6 modles are dirt cheap
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

From what I've read, the 4.8 is also a good motor to boost.

Quick Reply: Educate me! 5.3 turbo