Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie mod mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
buying used 3.23s gears, now i want something bigger, and now im getting an annoying howl at 45-60 MPH

when these go out im bumping up to a 12-bolt
You might want to look into a 9" Strange instead of a 12 bolt. I got a Moser, but their customer service and quality suck. (one axle longer than the other) Moser said "**** off" it's a race part, no guarantee. Had to have the axle machined down to the correct length at my own expense. Moser sucks.

For the money, a good 9" (from Currie or Strange) is much stronger and the price is basically the same. Something to think about.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Thumbs down

I'd like to add the Predator handheld programer and RWTD (their custom tuning site.)
My first custom tuning took months to be completed.
I asked for the second one (cam installed) 3-4 weeks before they closed down ther site (RWTD), it was down for about a month, it's been opened now but still no tune yet.
While they state that to get a custom tune it takes 2-3 business days.
Normally after a tune you need to monitor some live data and e-mail it back to them and they work again on the tune, a couple of cycle of this and you would be done.
Quick search on Predator on this site and all what will come up is the moths of waiting.

So Guys stay away from Predator and RWTD unless you don't care if your tune can be comleted in half a year.
I will update this after they come up with my new tune (what I don't need now) just to let you Guys know how long it took for them from the date when I actually asked for a new custom tune.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1 tech saved me from slowmaster , thank god
Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
You might want to look into a 9" Strange instead of a 12 bolt. I got a Moser, but their customer service and quality suck. (one axle longer than the other) Moser said "**** off" it's a race part, no guarantee. Had to have the axle machined down to the correct length at my own expense. Moser sucks.

For the money, a good 9" (from Currie or Strange) is much stronger and the price is basically the same. Something to think about.
yea i decided a while ago that when i upgrade the rear its gonna be a Strange, theres somthing about having Ford on my Chevy makes me

honestly tho, i dont know much about the 9" and from what i gather the 12 bolt is the same as the 10 just better, im gonna do some more research before i spend the money, i just dont know how a 9" works so it scares me
Old 06-10-2005, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
yea i decided a while ago that when i upgrade the rear its gonna be a Strange, theres somthing about having Ford on my Chevy makes me

honestly tho, i dont know much about the 9" and from what i gather the 12 bolt is the same as the 10 just better, im gonna do some more research before i spend the money, i just dont know how a 9" works so it scares me
I agree with the idea of having Ford parts in my TA , but from what I keep hearing the ford 8.8" is the best rear you can have! I should have read this thread a few mods ago, but.....I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the Whisper Lid & K&N filters hold up. I'm gonna hold off on descreening the MAF and purchasing the bellows. There are too many negatives on here for me to feel good about going with either of those. I've already put a cam in, some I guess I'm going from top to bottom instead of bottom up. Just hope I can get this idle problem figured out. Everytime I think it's gonna be ok, it starts dropping rpm's again. I'm waiting to see which goes first, clutch or rear since they are both stock with this monstrosity of a cam I have. I have the cut out, but have to manually remove the cover. Which, I have holes drilled into the cover, so I don't take it off much - but since the cam has been in, the cut-out has been left open! I just turn the radio up and ignore the rattles. I have the STB, but not the SFC yet...hope to do that soon too. Man, I thought having a horse was expensive! Horse power is even worse! Thanks for all the tips, opinions and advice on here!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow this just cleared up ALOT of what i was thinking of gettin, and its crazy that this thread is still goin over a year now....
Old 07-22-2005, 12:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big mistake: I bought a "custom" true duals setup from a NON-professional shop who had never done anything like it before (merlin muffler in Lombard/Addison, IL). Cost me ~25-30 RWHP across the rev range and the price of brand new duals. (at least the first set was free for me)
Old 07-22-2005, 08:37 AM
SSU, come over and relax

my mistake was buying a tsp off road y-pipe

the tsp pipe is the biggest piece of crap i have ever seen. it took me and a friend 3 hours just to get it on. the only way we could get it on made it have a ton of leaks and hang very low. well i took it to a shop and 3 hours later, 4 inches cut out of the pipe and a 2 inch piece welded in at another shop gave me a nice y-pipe
Old 08-01-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

The BEST thing I did with my car is buying it off eBay used and pre-modded It came with QTP long tubes, hi-flow catted 3" y-pipe, SLP Loudmouth, SLP lid, Pro 5.0 shifter, low mileage, and was very well taken care of (not to mention I got a great deal on it too, thanks Steve!)

The WORST things I did:

1. Buying a used set of heads from an eBay newbie They were supposed to be ported/polished LS1 heads with h/d springs and titanium valves but they turned out to be stock LS6 heads with some new springs .... never buy anything from an eBay noob with a negative or zero feedback rating.

2. I must be a glutton for punishment, cuz I went back to eBay and bought an Alpine IVA-D900 from a shop in Kentucky. Got a good deal on it though, only thing is I paid for it about three months ago and still haven't received the damn thing

Kinda sucks cuz I've been shopping on eBay for almost 5 years now and these are the only times I've ever been ripped off (happened within a month of each other). I'm real careful about who I buy from nowadays. Ebay's a great place to get good stuff for excellent prices, just be careful who you buy from. That's my .02
Old 08-01-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
my mistake was buying a tsp off road y-pipe

the tsp pipe is the biggest piece of crap i have ever seen. it took me and a friend 3 hours just to get it on. the only way we could get it on made it have a ton of leaks and hang very low. well i took it to a shop and 3 hours later, 4 inches cut out of the pipe and a 2 inch piece welded in at another shop gave me a nice y-pipe
i had about the same problem with the pacesetter ORY. but worst thing i did were the 3.73s. i have to pay to have them reinstalled this week, the bearings crapped out on me.

i think the best thing is my 4000 stall sitting in my bedroom floor
Old 08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitly doing heads and cam before a rear end...or rather 3 rear ends.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think I changed my mind. Mine would be spending SOOOO damned much money on this car that I love so much. I could be driving a new Vette when it's said-n-done ... LOL!!!!
Anyway, still spending money and nowhere close to my final goal ... the fever nevr goes away fo me.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
SSU, come over and relax

oh ive got the fever

and the only cure is more hp
Old 08-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default try not to make any mistakes....

I have a 92 camaro rs, with a v6, i am looking into buying a crate ls1 engine and figured i would do all the mods before i put it in the car... i need a new tranny, along with alot of other mods.... i am looking to make about 500hp out of it and was wondering what mods would help me get there, price really isint that big of a deal, so yea any and everything would help.... head and cam setup, new headers, what type of injectors, new throtlle body...... anytjing really. thanks for the help......
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
oh ive got the fever

and the only cure is more hp

Old 08-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

when i took off my RS spoiler to put on a SS spoiler. i didnt realize there were three big holes on each quarter!

Last edited by sleep-ez; 08-02-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS

I loved that episode!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Still new to the modification thing...

So far I don't have any regrets... although if I had to do a few thing over again, there are a few things I'd change:

1) SLP LT headers: Don't get me wrong... I like these headers ALOT. My Z breathed alot better once installed. High quality material, IMHO... and I got a good deal on them.

Only thing that sucks about them is the ground clearance...which everybody knows about. I knew about the clearance issues before buying them, but the quality of the material used in the SLP LT's is what sold me. It sucks when you go to change your oil, and you see the scrapes on your collector. But, they're on the car... they're doing a good job, so I'm not swapping them out anytime in the forseeable future.

But if i had to buy headers all over again, I'd of purchased the stainless Hookers (they weren't out at the time I bought my SLP LT's).

2) DiabloSport Predator: This is a great handheld if you don't plan on doing serious modding. It does alot for what it is... and I got some decent HP/TQ gains out of using it. But it seems if you want to get really serious about modding your car, LS1 Edit or HP Tuners is much more versatile.

I'm happy with my Predator for now, it suits my needs because my car just has bolt-ons... but if I ever get around to getting a head/cam and N2O, I'll be selling it and getting either LS1 Edit or HP Tuners. Not only that, but most performance shops seem to use either LS1 Edit or HP Tuners when doing dyno tuning, so that makes it even more appealing.

So if you're planning on a head/cam combo or other internals, plan ahead and get full-tilt DIY tuning program.

3) SLP MAF sensor: Honestly, I'm not sure if I gain anything out of this or not (I installed it at the same time I uploaded my Predator tune). Probably not as much as if I had a larger TB. But it's on there now... so it'll stay in place.

4) Not getting my car dyno-tuned when it was bone stock as a baseline. I got my car dyno'd after I had all of the stuff listed on my Cardomain site already installed (see my sig for the link). Now I don't really know how much I truely gained with all the modifications I've done so far.

Other than that... I'm really happy with all of my purchases. I have learned a TON from this site, and keep learning more each time I log in.

About the K&N filters... my Camaro is the 2nd car I've had a K&N installed on (first one was my 02 Monte Carlo SS, which I sold for the Camaro). As long as you don't over-oil them, you won't have any problems. Some people would think "why bother with oiling in the first place?". I guess it's a matter of preference.

Last edited by Grave; 08-04-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Teching In

only got 3 mods on the car so far, only 1 of which I regret

1) resistor to get rid of the CAGS... sucker drove me nuts the first week I had it.. put the resistor in and hasn't bothered me since
2) K&N filter the previous owner put on.. sucker shed all over my MAF..
3) got rid of the stock airbox and K&N, put in a volant CAI.. car seems to love it
Old 08-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Import Patrol

for me is a couple of things
1) that damn flowmaster
2)Khumo tires
3) more tires
4) wish I got a bigger stall
5) wish I got a bigger cam
6) buying rims and tires before I thought about light weights
7) buying mac midlengths
there is more but don't want to think about it