Sponsored by:

Ram Air or Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont say that!

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
So it's basically new. They'll sell it at that price to some older dude who wants a new bird to cruise in.
I gave them my offer of 27K, cash money, and the dealer sent me some pics and said that they were close to meeting my price. What does that mean? They want more damn money. I quoted him the Kelly Blue Book and the NADA retail price is 27K for that car, in that shape, with those miles. But I did try this on another TA that was brand new (a blue convertable WS6) and those bastards wanted 38K. I told the guy he was freaking crazy and it is still for sale now, that was 2 months ago!! I have been through the car dealer buying/selling deal and I usually do pretty good. The good thing on my part is - 1. I am not in a hurry 2. I have cash in hand 3. I am not trading a car in 4. I have other transportation (i.e. I dont NEED the car). I will play the waiting game and hope they do not get any other offers.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Standard:
Firehawk front fascia badge - a sticker. Who cares.
Wrong. It's not a sticker, it's a badge. That's like saying the WS6 badge is a "sticker".

Cat-Back, stainless steel, performance exhaust system with twin dual tips (currenlty the car has SLP LM but the orginal is with the car) - WS6 comes with a "better exhaust" too. 300-350 for the loudmouth from sponsers
17"x9" lightweight aluminum painted wheels - WS6 has "lightweight" 17x9s
But they aren't the *same* exhaust and wheels, some people might just prefer one over the other
Which wheels weigh less anyway, you sound like you've looked into this before? What are the weights for a stock WS6 and Firehawk wheel?

Firestone Firehawk 275/40ZR17 SZ50EP 17" tires - Woopie, you'll end up replacing them for better tires
The Firehawk tires are a big part of the SLP Firehawk history - It's always been Firehawk tires on 'em. But your right, they will be replaced eventually, but so will the tires on every other car that actually gets driven :shrug:

Firehawk exterior graphics on doors and rear fascia -again, stickers.
Not really "again", since the nose emblem is a solid piece (ie. a "badge"). But yeah, something a little more beefier than decals would have been nice. But honestly, I don't know how they would have done the Firehawk script in plastic and still make it look right - to many long thin extensions on the font.

Dash plaque - more useless stuff
But still nice to have, ask the folks in anyone of the dozens of "WS6 dash plaque" threads that pop up.

Options:
Rear deck lid spoiler - WS6 has a spoiler, does it not?
And some ricer's have a three level carbon fiber monstrosity mounted to their decklid, all spoiler's are not the same. Some people can actually have a preference for one over the other, despite what you personally like...

Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension System - You can get a set of Bilstein's off ebay for 300. WS6's have an upgraded suspension.
The WS6's suspension isn't upgraded to even the level of a base Hawk. The Bilstein is substantially better (and includes more than just shocks BTW), and you forgot to mention the possible 1LE option. And I just checked ebay, none of the Bilstein shocks come with a 3yr/36,000 mile GM warranty.

All your reasons for getting the Firehawk are null. Everything you want out of the car you are looking for can be had with the WS6, and alas, you also get the hood you were looking for.
Actually, it sounds your justifying all YOUR reasons for not getting a Firehawk. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but at least do a little research on the car your slamming before you post.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:41 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Mojo
Actually, it sounds your justifying all YOUR reasons for not getting a Firehawk. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but at least do a little research on the car your slamming before you post.
Actually, I've done the research. All your things about the stickers are null. They have no significant value to the car. They do absolutely nothing except let you say "I have a Firehawk".

He said he plans on replacing everything anyway, in which case, all the other Firehawk stuff is just a worthless markup since he won't need it anyway.

If you want/have a Firehawk, that's fine. If you want it just to rip into a bunch of mods, then why bother? Just to say you have a Firehawk?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Actually, I've done the research. All your things about the stickers are null. They have no significant value to the car. They do absolutely nothing except let you say "I have a Firehawk".

He said he plans on replacing everything anyway, in which case, all the other Firehawk stuff is just a worthless markup since he won't need it anyway.

If you want/have a Firehawk, that's fine. If you want it just to rip into a bunch of mods, then why bother? Just to say you have a Firehawk?
Feel free to quote my post where I said decals had any affect on the value of any car, it doesn't exist, I never said it. Only question I have is to ask if you have debadged your Z28 yet? Since the badges do nothing but say "Hey, I have a Z28"

In my previous post, I corrected you on the nose badge (it's a metal piece, painted to match), and I agreed with you on the fact the Firehawk side and rear graphics are just decals. I fail to see where any of that's null, since both of those statements are well known facts (and again, I was AGREEING with you on the actual decals)? If you don't believe me about the nose badge, take a look, here's a link to the nose badge direct from SLP:
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...&SHOWEMAIL=Off

I agree with you on not wasting money on a Hawk if your going to just mod it all up anyway... But you do realize the same argument goes for the WS6 too right? Why throw your money away on a WS6 when you can buy a base Formula or T/A, mod with the thousands you save over a WS6... And tear a WS6 a new one for the same amount of out of pocket expense? Buying a WS6 "just to say you have one", is every bit as silly as buying a Hawk "just to say you have one". I would hope that you realize the potential of your Z28 over an SS, when total investment is equal? Why shouldn't Pontiacs be the same? They are the same cars after all.

Last edited by Bad Mojo; 02-10-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension System - You can get a set of Bilstein's off ebay for 300. WS6's have an upgraded suspension.

All your reasons for getting the Firehawk are null. Everything you want out of the car you are looking for can be had with the WS6, and alas, you also get the hood you were looking for.
Actually, the Firehawk Bilstein suspension systems was a major reason I chose the Hawk.

http://www.firehawk.org/article.html?ID=1699
Old 02-10-2004, 06:24 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Bad MojoI guess I kinda took your post the wrong way.

I know the badge on the front clip isn't sticker.

I do plan on taking the Z28 badges off my car.

The only reason I feel to buy the WS6 or Firehawk is just for looks only. The same goes with the SS. I wanted a SS for the looks, but couldn't pass up the deal on my Z28. I think the Firehawk looks sweet, but considering he was planning on buying a Firehawk and putting a WS6 hood on it... well, that just doesn't make any sense

20HAWK02 Sure, the Bilstein upgrade is a nice bonus, but you can buy that all in the aftermarket with the money you saved from the markup on the Firehawk. I think finding a used SS/Firehawk with Y2Y options isn't too easy IMO. If you were one of the people that bought the car new and added the Y2Y stuff at the order, then that's pretty cool.

Again, my point was that everything that made the Firehawk a Firehawk would be replaced (save the stickers, the badge on the front!, and the wheels), so why not just get the WS6.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default Hold on

Bad Mojo I think the Firehawk looks sweet, but considering he was planning on buying a Firehawk and putting a WS6 hood on it... well, that just doesn't make any sense

Again, my point was that everything that made the Firehawk a Firehawk would be replaced (save the stickers, the badge on the front!, and the wheels), so why not just get the WS6.
Maybe I misrepresented what my true intentions are. I want a 2002 TA. I like the extras on the Firehawk, suspension ect. but I am not looking just for a firehawk. I just happend to find a Firehawk that is in good shape, low miles, and cost the same as any other TA that I found. I do like the hood on the WS6 better than the Firehawk. I will buy whatever is the best shape, with low miles, and is at a good price, be it a WS6 or a Firehawk. I had just came up with the idea of adding a WS6 hood because I like it better and there was a firehawk nearby. I did find a WS6 for sale with 1500 miles, but the damn dealer wont come down on the price, so now I will just keep on looking. As far as changing out everything that makes it a firehawk, I would not do that. I would be modding the car but there are just not that much stuff to change out. I would leave the suspension alone but just do the mods on the rest of the car just like many other have done to TA, SS, and Firehawk
Old 02-10-2004, 08:05 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by rctreece
I will buy whatever is the best shape, with low miles, and is at a good price, be it a WS6 or a Firehawk.
That makes more sense. I just figure since it's winter, i'd just wait for the WS6.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Bad MojoI guess I kinda took your post the wrong way.

I know the badge on the front clip isn't sticker.

I do plan on taking the Z28 badges off my car.

The only reason I feel to buy the WS6 or Firehawk is just for looks only. The same goes with the SS. I wanted a SS for the looks, but couldn't pass up the deal on my Z28. I think the Firehawk looks sweet, but considering he was planning on buying a Firehawk and putting a WS6 hood on it... well, that just doesn't make any sense
I gotcha, I think I did a pretty bad job at interpreting your posts as well... In fact I was going to ask why the change of heart since your first posts were pro Firehawk.

I agree though, if the warranty isn't an issue (and since they quit making our cars two years ago - it probably isn't), there is no reason to waste money on a car like the Firehawk or WS6 except for the status only. From a pure performance standpoint, a Z28 or Formula would be a far better starting point. Putting a WS6 hood on a Firehawk would probably be more pain than it's worth, the Hawk front fascia's are trimmed down about a 1/2 inch or so to fit the Hawk hood, and just slapping on a WS6 hood would leave you with an inherent gap. But aside from the pain of installation, I wholeheartedly agree with you on it, the hoods are easily the most distiguishable features of these two cars, swapping them out doesn't really work for me either.

Are you going to debadge and go sleeper or install the classic Z/28 badges? I've always loved the look of the classic markings on the modern Z28
Old 02-11-2004, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rctreece
Maybe I misrepresented what my true intentions are. I want a 2002 TA. I like the extras on the Firehawk, suspension ect. but I am not looking just for a firehawk. I just happend to find a Firehawk that is in good shape, low miles, and cost the same as any other TA that I found. I do like the hood on the WS6 better than the Firehawk. I will buy whatever is the best shape, with low miles, and is at a good price, be it a WS6 or a Firehawk. I had just came up with the idea of adding a WS6 hood because I like it better and there was a firehawk nearby. I did find a WS6 for sale with 1500 miles, but the damn dealer wont come down on the price, so now I will just keep on looking. As far as changing out everything that makes it a firehawk, I would not do that. I would be modding the car but there are just not that much stuff to change out. I would leave the suspension alone but just do the mods on the rest of the car just like many other have done to TA, SS, and Firehawk
Swapping the hoods isn't a direct bolt-on affair. SLP had to trim the top center of the front fascia (right where the nose badge is as a matter of fact) to fit the Hawk hood. If you replace it with a WS6 hood, I think you also need to replace the front fascia with an uncut one (or have the original fiberglassed and painted back to stock dimensions). Something to keep in mind if you do decide to go with a Firehawk and WS6 hood.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Bad Mojo
I gotcha, I think I did a pretty bad job at interpreting your posts as well... In fact I was going to ask why the change of heart since your first posts were pro Firehawk.
I was only going by looks alone. I wasn't taking into account the exterior modifications. If I were to have a Firehawk, it'd stay stock on the outside because they look great the way they are.

Are you going to debadge and go sleeper or install the classic Z/28 badges? I've always loved the look of the classic markings on the modern Z28
I like the debadged look. I think it's cleaner. Besides, having a black car with black badges... well, you can't even really see them. I also removed the '5.0' emblems from my Mustang. I think they look gaudy.

Now, if I had a SS or Firehawk; i'd let the badges stay.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see that car is in Topeka.... I'm in Wichita... not far from you. I have a friend in the KC area that is thinking of selling his 99 Firehawk, only has 10K miles on it (YES, 10K). Just a thought.

Black
Auto
T-tops
Single Cd w/monsoon stereo
Firehawk chrome wheels
No mods ever done to engine or anywhere else on the car
Grey Leather
Comes with custom car cover with FIREHAWK embroidered(sp?) on the front of the cover
Great condition
LOW/LOW miles ---10,300 or so miles on odometer
Kept covered in garaged since we bought it 3.5 years ago
Has never seen rain or snow or even water sprinkler water
Old 02-11-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone want my heavily modded firehawk, I was tossing around the idea of selling it....

Quick Reply: Ram Air or Firehawk